Skip to main content

Transfer Admission

Frequently Asked Questions

On this page are some of the questions most often asked by students planning to transfer to UD. We are also happy to answer questions or provide more information; simply contact us for assistance.

Admission Process

Yes, students who previously applied to UD as either a first-year student or a transfer student will need to reapply for admission. Simply log in to your Admission Account to create a new application.

If you previously attended UD and are interested in returning, please complete the Intent to Return form.

Official college transcripts are needed from all previously attended institutions to be reviewed for admission.

Yes, official transcripts are needed from all institutions that you have previously or are currently attending.

Contact us at

Yes — we offer options to double major, pursue minors and get a head start on graduate school through our bachelor’s plus master’s programs. Students cannot declare a double major until they have arrived on campus and met with their academic adviser. Until then, contact if you have questions.

It is always helpful to have someone you trust to accompany and help you navigate through your transfer process. At times, the process might be overwhelming. They can help you ask questions that you didn’t think about or notice something that you could have missed during a campus visit. However, be prepared to follow what your heart tells you about a particular school.

  • How will my credits transfer?
  • How long will it take to complete my degree?
  • Do you evaluate/recognize work or life experience?
  • Can I get transfer credit for career tech/Tech Prep?
  • Can I finish my degree in 4 years?
  • How much does it cost to attend UD?
  • Can I come to UD even though I am still undecided about my major?
  • What is the best route to becoming a (career)?

  • It is possible that there is no or limited support at your current institution to guide you through the transfer process, especially your current school is a university.
  • It’s possible that you receive more support at your current community college about transfer process.
  • Because your current university offered enough courses to go part-time, that doesn’t mean that is the case at UD where it’s best (almost needed) to go to school full time.
  • Availability of convenient times (evening, weekends, online) for your classes at the current school might not be available at UD.

Transfer Credits

In order for your credit to transfer, your credit must meet the following transfer policies:

  • You have earned a C- or better in a college-level course.
  • Your current/previous institution(s) is regionally accredited* or an international institution that is formally recognized by its country’s ministry of education or its equivalent.
  • You have prior learning that was part of your military training, experience and coursework, or nationally recognized credit-by-examinations like AP, CLEP and IB.
  • Any developmental or remedial courses that UD deems as non-college level will not transfer. Any college-level courses that you completed more than 10 years prior to enrollment at UD might not transfer.

Please note that transferable credit does not necessarily mean it is "applicable" toward your program requirements. Some credits may transfer in as general electives that could count toward meeting the graduation credit hour requirement.

*The following are regional accrediting agencies in the United States:

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) (doing business as Mid-Atlantic Region Commission on Higher Education)
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges
  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC-WASC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

Explore Transfer Credits and Evaluation

There are two options for student to inquire into how their credits will transfer:

  • For an immediate response about how your credit will transfer to UD, visit Transferology.
  • You can also request a preliminary credit evaluation and our transfer team will correspond the results with you within one week.

Once you are admitted and have made your enrollment deposit, you will meet with your academic adviser to discuss your transfer credit and remaining coursework, as well as to register for classes.

A course grade of C- or higher is needed. If your current or previous institution does not have a +/- system, a course grade of C or higher is needed.

We currently have a close partnership program with Sinclair College only. If you are interested in learning more about how your credits transfer, please request a preliminary credit evaluation.

Our credit evaluation will determine if your Ohio Transfer Module course will transfer to UD. The evaluation is based on the equivalencies and applicability of courses from the Ohio Transfer Module at your current or previous institution.

Our credit evaluation will determine if your Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG) course will transfer to UD. The evaluation is based on the equivalencies and applicability of courses from the Transfer Assurance Guide (TAG) at your current or previous institution.

No, you do not.

Some degree programs, like Bachelor of Arts degree majors and chemistry majors, have a second language proficiency requirement, which means you must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English.

If you are interested in studying abroad, you will also need to demonstrate your language proficiency.

If you have completed foreign language courses at a previous institution, an official review of your transcripts will allow us to determine if additional coursework is needed, and you may be required to demonstrate your foreign language proficiency through an online test.

American Sign Language does not satisfy the foreign language requirement.

UD's general education program is called the Common Academic Program (CAP). The CAP is an innovative curriculum that is the foundation of a UD education. It is a learning experience that is shared in common among all undergraduate students, regardless of their major. The CAP’s distinctive structure is built on the notion that, while students will have unique experiences at UD, all academic programs and learning encounters are informed by the seven institutional learning goals articulated in the Habits of Inquiry and Reflection (HIR):

  • Scholarship
  • Faith traditions
  • Diversity
  • Community
  • Practical wisdom
  • Critical evaluation of our times
  • Vocation

We live in a global society that is constantly changing. As tomorrow's leaders, UD students must understand its complexities and how to respond thoughtfully to its challenges and opportunities.

CAP introduces key questions and topics across a wide range of academic disciplines.  Students will learn to value and synthesize diverse points of view and to examine issues critically, yet with an open mind.

For more information on eligibility requirements and benefits of the program, as well as transfer of honors courses, please contact the Honors Program.

Your major at UD may accept your military training, experience and coursework if the department deems relevancy and equivalent rigor in your work to our potential equivalent course. We encourage you to share your Joint Services Transcript (JST) and DD-214 with your academic adviser at UD.

Yes. The AP program recognizes college-level work completed in high school. To receive credit and advanced placement for this program, have your test scores sent to the University of Dayton (College Board code: 1834).

Visit our credit-by-exam page for more information about credit equivalencies.

It is completed before and shared during your meeting with a UD academic advisor.

Through the Discover programs (Discover Arts, Discover Business, Discover Engineering, Discover Engineering Technology, Discover Sciences and Discover Teacher Education), you can explore different majors while staying on track to graduate in four years. The programs are flexible, allowing you to explore areas of interest while taking Common Academic Program courses that are required for all degrees. Students transition from the Discover programs into majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business, School of Engineering, or School of Education and Health Sciences.

Financial Aid

Yes. Scholarship opportunities for transfer students include our $16,000 scholarship for full-time students, Academic Excellence Awards based on GPA, Phi Theta Kappa scholarship, and School of Education and Health Sciences Scholarship. For more information, visit our transfer admission financial aid page.

Yes, a $3,000 per year scholarship is awarded to members of Phi Theta Kappa. Proof of membership is required to receive this award.

Full-time students who attend an official campus visit experience and the file the FAFSA are eligible for the textbook scholarship at UD for $500 per semester.

Transfer scholarships are renewable for up to three years, provided you maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, are registered full-time and are a responsible member of the University community.

Transfer scholarships are renewable for up to three years, provided you maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, are registered full-time and are a responsible member of the University community.

Yes. We’ve listed a number of opportunities on our external scholarships page. Your UD aid will not be affected by any outside scholarships you earn, unless you earn more than the cost of attendance.

Programs & Services

Yes — through our Office of Learning Resources, you can find information about learning and studying resources, like academic coaching and tutoring, as well as resources for students with disabilities.

You may also contact the Office of Learning Resources at or 937-229-2066 to learn more about how to transfer disability services documents.

Yes. Commuters on Campus is a student-run organization specifically geared toward welcoming commuter students into the UD community. There is also the commuter lounge, where students can rent a locker, relax with friends and study.

Commuter Students will be sold parking permits to park in S1 or S4 lots. All student permits will be honored at Curran Place. Check the Parking Services site for information on how and when to purchase a parking pass.

Yes! All bicycles must be parked on bicycle racks and cannot be chained to hand-rails, posts, fences, etc. All bicycles operated or parked on the university campus by students, faculty, or staff must be registered with the University Department of Public Safety. There will be no charge for registration.