Skip to main content

Other Federal Assistance

Additional Federal Resources

The FAFSA can also be used to inform students of, or verify eligibility for, federal benefits such as the Child Tax Credit, Recovery Rebate Credit/Economic Impact Payment, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Affordable Connectivity Program, Unemployment Insurance, and/or Housing Assistance. We encourage students to reach out to us if they have any questions about emails we may send regarding these programs, or to contact those programs directly for specific information.

Eligibility for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Funding and Affordable Connectivity Program

SNAP provides nutrition benefits to supplement the food budget so families with financial needs can purchase healthy food. Nearly 1.5 million Ohioans use SNAP to help them buy enough healthy foods to meet their needs.

With the passage of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021, SNAP is now available to college students that are enrolled at least half-time, have a 2022-2023 FAFSA on file with UD and meet either of the following criteria:

  • The individual is eligible to participate in a State or Federally financed work study program during the regular school year, as determined by the institution of higher education; or
  • The individual has an expected family contribution (EFC) of $0 in the current academic year.

A survey conducted by the Hope Center for College, Community and Justice at Temple University at the beginning of the pandemic concluded that nearly 3 in 5 students were experiencing basic needs insecurity, and food insecurity affected 44 percent of students at two-year institutions and 38 percent of students at four-year institutions.

The Office of Financial Aid will send you an email and letter confirming that you meet the EFC or Federal Work Study criteria. This information needs to be provided to the State along with your application for SNAP. If you did not receive this notice, but believe you meet the criteria, you can contact the Office of Financial Aid by email at

You can apply by completing an online application or a paper application. The paper application should be mailed to your local county Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services office (ODJFS). With your application, upload or include a copy of the notification sent from the Office of Financial Aid that verifies your eligibility as a college student. If you are a member of a household already receiving SNAP, please submit a copy of the notification you received to your county ODJFS office so that you may be added to your household’s case. Additional details about the application process are available from ODJS.

Yes. Interviews are scheduled in person in office or via phone with a county caseworker to review the application, advise you of your rights and responsibilities and resolve unclear information.

There are additional SNAP rules and income eligibility criteria you must meet to qualify. To be eligible for food assistance through SNAP, your family income cannot exceed 130 percent of the federal poverty guidelines.

You may need to apply for SNAP with other people you live with, including:

  • Students must apply with their entire SNAP household. A SNAP household consists of individuals who live together in the same residence and who purchase and prepare most meals together.
  • Your parents - if you are under 22 years old; 
  • If you are a parent, your children who are under age 22;
  • Your spouse; and
  • Anyone else with whom you live and share most (2/3 or more) of your meals

Note: Students who live in dormitories and have campus meal plans that provide most of their meals are not eligible for SNAP.

Students who are living in and attending college in Ohio should apply with ODJFS for SNAP benefits.

Current SNAP eligibility income limits and monthly benefit amounts are reflected below:

SNAP Benefit Amounts

Household Size

Monthly Gross Income Limit

Monthly Maximum SNAP

Benefit Amount*
















*Temporarily, all households who qualify for SNAP receive the maximum amounts for their household size – as long as there is a federal public health emergency.

Visit the Office of Communications at the ODJFS.

SNAP benefits are distributed to eligible recipients through Ohio EBT (Electronic Benefits Transfer). Ohio EBT is similar to commercial debit and ATM cards and most Ohio grocery stores accept Ohio EBT. You can learn more, including details about income and eligibility requirements, by visiting the Office of Communications at the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS). Throughout this process, please be on the lookout for letters in the mail from ODJFS. You can also go to or download the free Fresh EBT mobile app to see nearby stores and farmer’s markets that take EBT as well as check your balance online.

  • Based on your household income
  • If you or your child or dependent participate in certain government assistance programs such as SNAP, Medicaid, WIC, or other programs
  • If you or anyone in your household already receives a Lifeline benefit

Note: You may qualify for the ACP through a participating provider’s existing low-income program. Visit our How to Apply page to learn more.

If your household is eligible, you could receive:

  • Up to a $30/month discount on your internet service
  • Up to a $75/month discount if your household is on qualifying Tribal lands
  • A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50)
  • A low cost service plan that may be fully covered through the ACP*

* Through a separate non-FCC initiative, additional no cost plans may be available to Affordable Connectivity Program enrollees. To learn more please visit Provision of a link to this initiative does not imply FCC endorsement of any particular participating provider.

Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is allowed per household. To receive the connected device discount, consumers need to enroll in the ACP with a participating provider that offers connected devices (Note: not all internet company offer device discounts.) The internet company will provide the discount to the consumer.

Important News: Congress recently created the Affordable Connectivity Program, a new, long-term $14 billion program that will replace the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. Households enrolled in the EBB Program as of December 31, 2021, continued to receive their current monthly benefit during a 60-day transition period. The transition period ended on February 28.

Consumers can apply for the Affordable Connectivity Program at

Tax Benefits

The American Opportunity Tax Credit
The credit offsets what you pay for the first four years of higher education by reducing the amount of income tax you pay. This credit provides up to $2,500 per student and up to $1,000 of the credit can be refunded if your credit is more than you owe in taxes. The amount you are eligible for varies depending on your income, how much you spent on higher education expenses, and how many eligible students are in your family.

The Lifetime Learning Tax Credit
People not eligible for the American Opportunity credit may be eligible for this tax credit. It is targeted to students who want to return to school, as well as college juniors, seniors, graduate and professional degree students. The student may be enrolled full-time, half-time or less than half-time, and are not required to be in a degree-seeking program.

This credit provides up to $2,000 per tax return (not per student). Unlike the American Opportunity Tax Credit, this credit is non-refundable so the maximum credit is limited to the amount of tax you owe.

Tuition and fees tax deduction
If you do not qualify for the American Opportunity or the Lifetime Learning tax credits because of income limitations, you may be eligible for the tuition and fees deduction. This deduction allows you to reduce the amount of your income subject to tax by $4,000, and it can be claimed even if you do not itemize deductions on your taxes.

Education loan interest deduction
Taxpayers who have taken out loans to pay the cost of attending an eligible educational institution for themselves, their spouse or their dependent(s) generally may deduct the interest paid on these loans. 
To be eligible, a loan must have been used to pay tuition, fees, room, board, and books expenses at an eligible educational institution. The student must have enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate or graduate program leading to a degree or certificate.

The deduction is not only for federally guaranteed loans, but for any loan meeting the eligibility requirements including loans issued by schools, banks and not-for-profit associations. The deduction amount varies depending on your income, with the maximum deduction being $2,500 each year.

Coverdell Education Savings Accounts

Eligibility requirements restrict joint tax filers with adjusted gross income of $220,000 or more from participating ($110,000 or more for single filers). Withdrawals from the education IRA may also be tax free if the funds are used toward the beneficiary's qualified higher educational expenses, which can include tuition, books, room and board, and required supplies.

Qualified tuition plans
Save for tuition and certain room and board charges — and get help from your parents, grandparents and friends! With qualified tuition plans, you can save for your education without being taxed until the money is withdrawn.

Prepaid tuition plans are college savings plans guaranteed to increase in value at the same rate as college tuition. They are exempt from federal income taxes and, in some cases, from state and local income taxes. The value of this plan is counted as an asset of the owner when completing the FAFSA, unless the owner is a dependent student.

The 529 College Savings Plan allows you to save for college tax-free and tends to have a low impact on the need-based financial aid eligibility. Unlike prepaid tuition plans, there is no lock on tuition rates. The value of this plan is counted as an asset of the owner when completing the FAFSA, unless the owner is a dependent student.

For complete details about these programs, read IRS publication 970. You can also contact your tax adviser or the IRS Help Line (1-800-829-1040) for additional information.


Office of Recruitment and Admission

Albert Emanuel Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1602