Skip to main content

Proof of Citizenship

Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Eligible Non-citizenship Status

Based on the review of your FAFSA results, we may be required to confirm your status as a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Revised regulations now require this to be done in person with a member of our staff by presenting us with your original (not a photocopy) copy of your citizenship and/or immigration document(s).

Acceptable documentation includes the items listed below. You may contact USCIS for replacement of these documents. Phone numbers and addresses may be obtained at

In addition to this documentation, you must also present us with a valid, government issued photo identification such as, but not limited to, a driver’s license, other state-issued ID, or passport. The University of Dayton will make and retain copies of these documents for your financial aid file. They will be annotated with the date received and the name of the staff member authorized to review the documentation.

If you find you’re unable to present the documentation in person, you are permitted to seek out a local Notary Public and present the original documentation to them along with your government issued photo id and the ‘Proof of U.S. Citizenship or Eligible Non-Citizenship’ form. Original documentation must be presented to the notary who will then notarize the form and make a photocopy of both your photo id and citizenship documentation. All documents will then need to be mailed to our office along with the completed and notarized form. We cannot accept scanned or faxed copies

Acceptable Documentation

Proof of U.S. Citizenship Status:

  • Your birth certificate showing that you were born in the United States
  • Your U.S. passport (current or expired)
  • Form FS-240 “Consular Report of Birth Abroad”
  • Form FS-545 “Certificate of birth issued by a foreign service post”
  • Form DS-1350 “Certification of Report of Birth”
  • Form N-560 or N-561 “Certificate of Citizenship” This document must be issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and include your name, certificate number and date of issuance
  • Form N-550 or N-570 “Certificate of Naturalization” This document must be issued by the USCIS and include your name, certificate number, Alien Registration Number, name of the court that issued naturalization and date of naturalization

Proof of Eligible Non-Citizenship* Status:

  • Form I-151 or I-551 which must include valid expiration date
  • Form I-94 or I-94A with the endorsement “Processed for I-551, Temporary Evidence of Lawful Admission for Permanent Residence. Valid until (MM/DD/YYYY). Employment Authorized.” This form is acceptable if the expiration date has not passed.
  • MIRV (Migrant Visa) with a statement “upon endorsement serves as temporary I- 551 evidencing permanent residence for 1 year” contained in an unexpired foreign passport is valid for 1 year from date of endorsement.
  • Your United States travel document annotated with “Permit to reenter form I-327.” 

*Some eligible non-citizens (other than permanent residents) may provide other documentation of citizenship. Please contact our office if you believe you meet these criteria.

Additional Potential Eligibility

If any of the below categories apply, please contact our office regarding the potential for federal aid eligibility.  

  • Ukrainian citizens and nationals (and persons who last habitually resided in Ukraine) paroled into the United States between February 24, 2022 and September 30, 2023 
  • Afghan citizens and nationals paroled into the U.S. between July 31, 2021 and September 30, 2022
  • Cuban-Haitian Entrant (CHE)
  • Victims of human trafficking 

Office of Recruitment and Admission

Albert Emanuel Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1602