Skip to main content

All About Mary

Our Lady of Victory

– Father Johann Roten, S.M.

To commemorate the victory of the Christian Armada over the Turks on October 7, 1571, Pope Pius V introduced in 1572 the festem BMV de victoria (Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mother of Victory). In 1573 his successor, Pope Gregory XIII, changed this title to "Feast of the Holy Rosary" to be celebrated on the first Sunday of October. The privilege to celebrate this feast was granted to all those churches which had a Rosary altar. Clemens XI extended it to the whole Church. Under Pius X the feast was again scheduled for October 7; it changed name in 1960 and became "Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Rosary." This appellation was changed again in 1969 to "Our Lady of the Rosary," and it is now a mandatory memorial. The reference to victory or Our Lady of Victory was maintained in titles and for sanctuaries the world over, in particular in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. One of the most famous sanctuaries dedicated to Our Lady of Victories is in Paris (Notre Dame des Victoires, 2eme arrondissement). The sanctuary is intimately connected with the Miraculous Medal and the Archconfraternity devoted to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. This devotion had its origin at the church of Notre Dame des Victoires in Paris and expanded during the latter half of nineteenth century over much of the Catholic world.

Mary, Refuge of Sinners, 1836
Basilica of Our Lady of Victories

All About Mary includes a variety of content, much of which reflects the expertise, interpretations and opinions of the individual authors and not necessarily of the Marian Library or the University of Dayton. Please share feedback or suggestions with marianlibrary@udayton.edu.

CONTACT

Marian Library


300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1390
937-229-4214
Website
Email

Keyword Search

Would you like to begin a new keyword search?

Get Started