Skip to main content

Room and Board Credits

As the University responds to the threat of COVID-19, we have taken significant measures to protect the health of our students, faculty, staff and the community that have had a financial impact on our families. We value the sacrifices families make to invest in a University of Dayton education and are taking steps to reflect the shortened period of time students will use University housing and meal plans. 

Will the University issue credits for housing?

Yes, the University will issue prorated credits for housing on student accounts for the period of time students are unable to return to their campus housing. Housing credits can be applied to summer tuition for undergraduate courses. Otherwise, returning students, if living in UD housing during the next academic year, will receive credits applied toward housing. If a returning student is not living in UD housing during the next academic year, the credit will be applied towards next year's tuition. Graduating students will have the prorated amount applied to their student account. If the account balance is paid in full upon graduation, the University will issue a refund.

How will the University handle meal plan funds that have not been spent?

For students who are not able to use their meal plans during the emergency, the University will waive current carry-over limits. Both Flex and Standard meal plan balances will roll over to the next academic year. 

What if I am a senior who is graduating this May 2020?

Seniors graduating in May 2020 will receive a prorated housing credit on their student account as well as a credit for any remaining meal plan balance. These credits will first apply to any outstanding balance owed to the University upon graduation. If the account balance is paid in full, the University will issue a refund. Students should sign up online for direct deposit of refunds, known as 'eRefunding' via Porches on the Flyer Student Services tab. Otherwise, checks will be mailed to the permanent address on file. Check/cash refunds are not available in person.

Am I eligible for the room and meal credit if I paid for these items in the spring 2020 semester and am not returning to finish my degree?

The room and board credits are designated as a credit for future semesters of enrollment. If you decide not to return to UD, you must complete the non-returning student form within Porches on the Flyer Student Services tab. This will notify the necessary offices of your intent to no longer enroll at the university and will also serve as your official request for having the credit issued to your student account. Upon receiving the completed non-returning student form, the University will review your request and respond within 14 business days.

When will these credits be applied?

We will apply the credits to student accounts after the conclusion of the Spring 2020 semester.

What about tuition? 

Because faculty instruction is continuing on a remote basis and students will be making progress toward completion of their academic programs, no financial credit will be provided for tuition. 

How will the credits impact my bill?

Financial aid is typically split evenly between the fall and spring semesters. If you are receiving a spring 2020 semester room and/or board credit due to the Covid-19 disruption to campus operations, your fall 2020 semester amount due will be lower than what you should expect to owe for the spring 2021 semester. If you are using a private or federal PLUS loan to meet expenses, you may consider adjusting your loan to meet your costs each semester. To better understand what this means for your specific account, please connect with a financial aid counselor.

What if I still have questions?

For questions related to meal plans or credits, please contact Dining Services directly at (937) 229-2441.

Staff in Flyer Student Services can be reached via email at We ask for your patience and understanding as we respond to your questions as quickly as possible and in the order they are received.