Skip to main content

Enrollment Requirements

Enrollment Requirements

Visit our Stay Informed page for the latest news and information regarding travel, vaccine, quarantine, and immigration requirements.

F-1 students must abide by strict enrollment guidelines in order to maintain their lawful status. The following section describes the specific enrollment requirements of F-1 students:

  • In your initial semester of study and every semester thereafter, except for vacations, you must be enrolled full-time. There are some exceptions to this rule (see Reducing Your Course Load section for more details).
  • If you are not registered full-time by the drop/add deadline, your SEVIS record will be terminated.
  • The table below lists the minimum enrollment for UD students:
Enrollment requirements

Undergraduate students

12 credit hours

Graduate students (including those studying in the International Marian Research Institute STL and STD programs)

6 credits (exceptions: 9 credits for Psychology CLP, EXP, PSY majors; 12 credits for Law J.D.)

IEP students

You will be registered for a full course load as required by IEP

Actions that may reduce the number of credits that can be counted toward the full-time minimum:

  • Courses that you visit or audit do not count towards full-time enrollment for immigration purposes.
  • Dropping a course reduces your total credit count and therefore could put you in jeopardy of violating the full course of study requirement.

Contact ISSS if you are unsure about enrollment requirements. Do not drop below full time before consulting ISSS.


International Student and Scholar Services

Rike Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469