Skip to main content

Changing Majors/Levels

Changing Majors/Levels

Changes to a student’s academic status must be reflected on the I-20. If you change your major or academic level, request an updated I-20. 


  1. Submit the ISSS request form and email a copy of your financial guarantee or bank statement that is not older than six months with adequate funds to cover the cost of your new academic program to
  2. You will be notified by email when this process is complete and your I-20s are ready to be issued. 

Frequently Asked Questions

When changing majors, will I be given additional time to finish the new program?
Yes, but not immediately. When changing your major, the updated I-20 ISSS issues you will not include an extended program end date. Instead, when your I-20 approaches its original program end date, you should submit a request for an extension.

What should I do with my old I-20 after I receive the new I-20 with the updated major/level information?
Students should keep all I-20s issued to them. Take these with you when you travel outside of the U.S.


International Student and Scholar Services

Rike Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469