Middle Childhood Education (License, M.S.E.)

Get right in the middle of theory and practice. Get to the heart of education.

The University of Dayton's middle childhood education program puts you in perfect position to educate children in grades 4-9 in the state of Ohio. Completion of the program requirements also leads to provisional licensure.

Our program offers flexibility for your preferences; you can choose from five concentration areas. And you can easily transition to further your education after receiving your licensure by completing the core requirements and earning a master's degree.

Please visit the Department of Teacher Education website >>

Program Requirements

Applicants to the middle childhood education program should submit the following information in addition to the online application:

  1. Official academic records of all previously attended colleges or universities must be submitted directly from the colleges or universities to the Office of Graduate Admission Processing. Hand-carried transcripts, official copies marked Issued to Student and unofficial copies are not acceptable.
  2. Three letters of recommendation from professors or employers.
  3. A personal statement or résumé.
  4. Results from the GRE or MAT are required for applicants with an undergraduate grade-point average below 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
  5. Submit copies of Praxis, or the Ohio Assessment for Educators, passing score(s) results of content area(s).

 Applicants for admission to the Graduate School of Education and Health Sciences must have attained an undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Applicants who have less than a 2.75 cumulative GPA may be admitted if they achieve a raw score of 40 or higher or a scaled score of 396 or higher on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or scaled scores of 149 or higher on the verbal ability and 4.0 or higher on the analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). For test administrations prior to October 2002, a scaled score of 490 or higher on the analytical ability section is required.

Additional requirements apply for international students.

Academic Requirements

Program requirements can be found in the online Catalog. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What will I be licensed to teach with a middle childhood education license?
The middle childhood education licensure program leads to Ohio teacher license for teaching grades 4-9 in two of the following areas: language arts, mathematics, science and social studies.

How is middle childhood education licensure different from other programs?
The state of Ohio licenses teachers to teach different subject areas and different age levels. Three licensure programs are the most common: early childhood education (PreK-grade 3), middle childhood education (grades 4-9) and adolescence to young adult education (grades 7-12).

The early childhood education program has the fewest content area courses, but the greatest number of education courses that run in rigid sequences. The middle childhood education program requires a modest number of courses in two content areas in addition to sequenced education courses. It takes approximately five to six consecutive semesters of full-time enrollment to complete. The adolescence to young adult education program has the greatest number of content courses, covering one discipline. Because the program often attracts students who already have completed many of the content courses, it can be completed in as little as three consecutive semesters of enrollment.

How long does it take a full-time student to complete teacher licensure?
Every student is different and timelines for completing the program vary by student. Typically, students complete content-area courses in the summer and fall, and enroll in education courses during the winter semester. Students maintaining full-time enrollment can complete the licensure requirement in five to six semesters.

Additional courses are required after licensure to obtain the master's degree in education with a concentration in middle childhood education.

Can I pursue my license while working full-time?
It is possible to begin the program as a part-time student. However, some courses are only scheduled during the day. Students working full time will need to obtain significant amounts of time from work. Near the end of the program, during the methods block and the student teaching block, candidates for licensure must be enrolled full time and available all day, every weekday for the semester.

What does a field experience consist of?
Field experiences are part of an on-campus course. During the first field experience, students work in grade 4-9 classrooms. A subsequent field experience is connected to the content-area methods course. Students assist the teacher and plan lessons for school children. Finally, during the clinical practice (student teaching) students work in schools all day, every weekday to plan lessons and teach classes for 10 to 15 weeks. The program coordinator determines the length of the experience based on previous experience and teaching performance. For all students the clinical practice occurs only during the winter semester.

Which courses on my undergraduate transcript will count toward state teacher licensure requirements?
The content-area requirements are described on "check sheets." Students must have their transcript evaluated by the School of Education and Allied Professions' licensure specialist to determine what content-area courses they will need to complete. Submit transcripts to the Dean's Office in the School of Education and Allied Professions, 300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469-0510.

Eighty percent of the content-area courses must be completed prior to student teaching. Students can begin the content-area courses in any semester and can complete them at any university or community college but the transfer of these courses must be approved by the School of Education and Allied Professions.

Are graduate assistantships available?
Incoming students interested in graduate assistantship positions can obtain more information by calling (937) 229-3348.

What is required to complete a master's degree in middle childhood education?
Completion of the courses for teacher licensure, and subsequent completion of additional courses and a thesis or project leads to the master's degree. Incoming students typically complete content area courses that lead to expertise in subject area teaching, including education courses that count toward both teacher licensure and the master's degree, as well as additional graduate courses in education plus a thesis or project that lead to the master's degree.

What is the transcript evaluation process?
After receiving a complete application, the department will conduct a transcript review. A check sheet will be sent to the applicants showing which requirements have been met and which courses they need to take. After the transcript review has been completed, students can make an appointment to meet with an adviser.

What if I already have a license, but I want a master's degree in adolescence to young adult education, middle childhood education or multi-age education?Students who have a license in one of the three areas above and are interested in obtaining a master's degree should contact the department of teacher education via e-mail or phone (937-229-3346).

Is there an entrance test to the School of Education and Allied Professions?
There is no entrance test if the applicant's undergraduate G.P.A. is 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale. If the applicant's undergraduate G.P.A. is below a 2.75, a passing score of 430 on the verbal section and a 4.0 on the analytical section of the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) or a passing score of 40 on the MAT (Millers Analogy Test) is required.

May I take any courses before being accepted to a graduate program in the School of Education and Allied Professions?
Students may not enroll in the program until they have been accepted. However, students can take a maximum of two graduate education courses (that do not have attached field experiences) as electives prior to admission or acceptance. This practice is helpful for students who have not taken courses in a long time and want to see if returning to college is for them. Taking elective education courses is discouraged since applying to the program provides a more systematic advising process and ensures the optimal sequence of course work.

Can I take courses at any other college or university?
The professional education courses must be taken at the University of Dayton. Concentration area courses can be taken at any university or college such as Sinclair Community College or Wright State University.

Can I apply for a graduate assistantship?
Yes! Learn more >>

How do I learn more about Teacher Education?
Learn more about the Department of Teacher Education >>