- Location: ZH 306
- Phone: 937-229-3680
- Email: Contact
Joel R. Pruce is Post-Doctoral Fellow in Human Rights Studies, and joined the faculty in Fall 2012. Prior to arriving at UD, Dr. Pruce held the position of Lecturer in International Human Rights at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies - University of Denver. Originally from New Jersey, Joel is settling in to life in Ohio along with his wife, Heather Atkinson, and their dog, Teddy Bear.
- Politics of Human Rights
- Human Rights and Foreign Policy
- International Law and Organization
- Ph.D. University of Denver (International Studies, 2011)
- M.A. University of Denver (International Studies, 2006)
- B.A. Rutgers University (Political Science and Philosophy, 2002)
- Conference Director, "Social Practice of Human Rights: Charting the Frontiers of Research and Advocacy"
- International Studies Association
- American Political Science Association
- Research Network on Celebrities and North-South Relations
- Human rights
- NGOs and advocacy
- Foreign policy
- International organization
- Mass media and visual culture
- Critical theory
"Spectacle of Suffering and Humanitarian Intervention in Somalia." In Media, Mobilization, and Human Rights: Mediating Atrocity, edited by Tristan Anne Borer. (Zed Books, 2012).
Contributor to Human Rights & Human Welfare’s Roundtable
"Moral Ambivalence is No Recipe for Engagement," March 2012
"Seeking Justice, Strategically," June 2012
"Constituencies of Compassion: The Politics of Human Rights and Consumerism." In Uses and Misuses of Human Rights, edited by George Andreopoulos, Zehra K. Arat, and Peter Juviler. (Columbia University Press, forthcoming).
Book Review of Advocacy Organizations and Collective Action, edited by Aseem Prakash and Mary Kay Gugerty. (Cambridge University Press, 2010).
H-Human-Rights, H-Net Reviews. November, 2011. URL: http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=33490.
Book Review of Human Rights and Social Movements, by Neil Stammers (Pluto, 2009).
Journal of Human Rights 9(1) Jan-Mar, 2010.
Book Review of Global Activism, by Ruth Reitan (Routledge, 2007)
Millennium: Journal of International Studies, May 2011 39: 887-888.
- Human rights and civil liberties
- Foreign policy and global politics
- Social movements