Skip to main content

Vehicle Use and Driver Certification Policy

Vehicle Use and Driver Certification Policy


The University of Dayton ("University") Vehicle Use and Driver Certification Policy is meant to reduce the risk of personal injury, liability, and property loss, and to enhance the University’s insurability for faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who drive for University business or approved activities.


This policy applies to all University faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who operate "University-insured vehicles" for University business or approved activities.

This policy also applies to University faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who operate their personal vehicle for University business or approved activities.  These drivers are expected to meet the requirements of this policy (see Appendix B "Certified Driver" Requirements).

Policy History

Effective Date:  September 1992

Approval:  February 13, 2024

Policy History: 

  • Approved in original form:  September 1992
  • Approved as amended:  2000
  • Approved as amended:  2008
  • Approved as amended:  2012
  • Approved as amended:  January 25, 2016
  • Approved as amended:  March 23, 2016
  • Approved as amended:  February 13, 2024

Maintenance of Policy:  Associate Vice President of Audit, Risk, and Compliance


(a)  "Certified Driver" - Meets the eligibility requirements to drive on behalf of the University by completing the driver certification process and maintains annual certification.

(b)  "Motor Vehicle Report" (MVR) - A state-issued report that verifies driver license validity and past history of violations and accidents.

(c)  "University-Insured Vehicles"- Consists of University-owned or leased vehicles, utility vehicles and rented vehicles operated for University business or approved activities.

(d)  "Commercial Motor Vehicle" (CMV) -

  • A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 pounds;
  • A combination vehicle or vehicle towing a trailer with a combined GVWR of 26,000 pounds or greater;
  • A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more persons (including the driver);
  • Any size vehicle used to transport hazardous materials that requires placards or is carry material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.  Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland Security require a background check and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.


Drivers operating vehicles, for University business or approved activities, including those who use their personal vehicle must have a valid driver’s license and maintain an acceptable driving record, see MVR Scoring Grid.

I.  To be eligible to drive on behalf of the University, you must be a "Certified Driver."

II.  The University reserves the right to deny privileges for driving a "University-insured vehicle" or personal vehicle driven for University business or approved activities including but not limited to the following reasons:

     A. "MVR" shows a suspended or invalid license, or shows that the driver was involved in high-risk driving behavior; see "MVR" Scoring in Appendix A.

     B.  Drivers who are found to be in disregard of this policy or are involved in an accident that causes bodily injury or property damage that does not appear on the "MVR" will have their case reviewed by the Insurance Review Committee and driving privileges may be denied.

     C.  If any costs are associated with an accident involving an unapproved driver, the department or organization may be responsible for all or part of the costs as determined by the Insurance Review Committee.

III.  Driver Certification Requirements:

  • All University employees, students, and volunteers who operate "University-insured vehicles" or personal vehicles for University business or approved activities must complete the online driver certification program and receive an approval email.  It is the responsibility of the "Certified Driver" to maintain annual driver’s certification, see Appendix A "Driver’s Certification Process."
  • Drivers who drive vehicles that require a "Commercial Driver’s License" ("CDL") must meet the University’s "CDL" program requirements, see Appendix D "CDL" Requirements and Responsibilities.

IV.  "Certified Driver" Requirements:

  • "Certified Drivers" must follow the requirements found in Appendix B.
  • Drivers must notify Audit, Risk, and Compliance if involved in an accident as soon as possible at (937) 229-4502, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.  After hours, leave a detailed voice message including your contact information, see Appendix C "Procedures for Reporting Accidents."

Exceptions to the policy may only be considered and granted through ARC and the University of Dayton’s Insurance Review Committee.  If a driver does not have access to a computer, contact ARC for certification arrangements.  

Reference Documents

  1. University of Dayton Golf Cart and Utility Vehicles Policy
  2. Univeristy of Dayton Travel and Entertainment Policy
  3. University of Dayton Drug-Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy

Appendix A

Driver Certification Process

In order to be a certified driver with the University, all individuals:

  • Complete the Driver Training presentation online and pass the associated quiz.
  • Submit a Statement of Agreement Application Form that permits the University to review the individual’s "Motor Vehicle Report" ("MVR").
  • "MVR" is Low Risk according to the "MVR" Scoring.
  • Once all items have been verified and approved, the individual will receive confirmation via email.  Approval can take up to 10 days.  For more information, please visit the Office of Risk Management and Insurance Driver Certification page at

"MVR" Scoring:

  • Low Risk Acceptable:
    • No violations listed on the MVR for the past three (3) years.
  • Low Risk Acceptable but Monitored:
    • The driver has violations but the violations do not meet the unacceptable criteria.
  • High-risk Unacceptable:
    • One or more Major Violations* within the last five (5) years;
    • Three (3) or more moving violations within the last three (3) years;
    • One at-fault accident and two or more separate moving violations within the last three (3) years;
    • Two (2) or more at-fault accidents within the last three (3) years.


  • Examples include but not limited to:
    • Speeding;
    • Aggressive driving;
    • Right-of-way violations;
    • Administrative violations;
    • Seat belt and other equipment violations.
  • *Major Violations:
    • Any alcohol or drug-related driving offense;
    • Reckless Operation;
    • Refusal to submit to an alcohol or drug test or charged with implied consent;
    • Operating a vehicle more than 20 mph over the posted speed limit;
    • Leaving the scene of an accident;
    • Any felony committed with a vehicle.

Appendix B

"Certified Driver" Requirements

  • Drivers must disclose to Audit Risk and Compliance (ARC) if they receive a violation or if a change occurs in the status of their license.
  • Drivers must contact ARC if involved in an accident.
  • Employees with personally assigned vehicles shall not allow drivers under the age of twenty-one (21) to operate the "University-insured vehicle".
  • Personal Vehicle Use for University business or approved activities:
    • Must be a Certified Driver.
    • Owners must maintain automobile liability coverage based on state minimum insurance requirements.  The individual’s personal insurance would act as the primary coverage in the event of an accident.  The University’s automobile liability insurance would act as excess coverage over the individual’s primary insurance.
    • The University does not provide protection for physical damage to the personal vehicle.
  • All persons riding in a vehicle must wear their seatbelt at all times when the vehicle is in motion.
  • The number of passengers in a vehicle cannot exceed the number of seatbelts available.
  • Texting while driving is prohibited in vehicles.
  • Hands-free cell phone operation only while driving. When traveling outside of Ohio, be mindful of States where usage is prohibited.
  • Smoking is prohibited in "University-insured vehicles", utility vehicles and golf carts.
  • Personal property in vehicles is not insured by the University.
  • Large passenger vans can transport a maximum of 12 people including the driver regardless of the number of seats available in the van.
  • You must have proof of insurance with you at all times when operating a motor vehicle. A University insurance card should be located in the glove box of all "University-insured vehicles".  Please check prior to your trip, replacement cards can be obtained from ARC.
  • If you receive a moving violation or parking ticket while driving a "University-insured vehicle", it is your responsibility to pay the fine in a timely manner.
  • Trips more than 400 miles from the University require an overnight stay unless a second authorized driver shares the driving responsibilities.  Cost should not be a deterrence for emergency overnight lodging.

Appendix C

Procedure for Reporting Accidents

  • If an accident involves another vehicle, notify the local law enforcement agency (police) for that location.  If the accident occurs on campus, immediately notify University of Dayton Public Safety at (937) 229-2121.  It is important that a police report is taken at the time of the accident, if possible.
  • All accidents must be reported to ARC as soon as possible at (937) 229-4502 to start the claim process, Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.  After business hours, leave a detailed voice message including your contact information.

Prior to leaving the scene of an accident, obtain the following, if applicable:

  • File a Police report.
  • Name, address, and phone number of all parties involved including other vehicle drivers and passengers.
  • Name and phone number of their insurance carrier.
  • Make, model, year, color and license plate number of all vehicles involved.
  • Photos and witness contact information if available.
  • If any parties were injured, name of hospital if transported.
  • If the vehicle was towed, name and number of tow company.
  • If the accident does not involve another vehicle, take pictures of any property damage.

Appendix D

Commercial Driver License (CDL) Requirements and Responsibilities


  • Must be 18 years old with a valid license within the State of Ohio.
  • Must be 21 years old with a valid license to travel outside Ohio or transport hazard materials.
  • Determine the "CDL" class:
    • Class A and B are for vehicles over 26,000 Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
    • Class C is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including driver or is used in the transportation of material found to be hazardous.
  • Provide a valid Medical Examiner’s Certificate.
  • Complete a "CDL" application.
  • Pass a "CDL" knowledge exam and "CDL" road skills test.

More information can be found at:


  • Each department must determine if any of its vehicles are "CMVs" as defined in this policy.  Department administrators are encouraged to consult with Audit, Risk, and Compliance or Purchasing to assess the need for the appropriate class of "CDLs" and applicable endorsements that may be required.  Each department should also check with Environmental Health & Safety if transporting hazardous materials.
  • Drivers identified to be operating a "CMV" on behalf of the University, shall maintain and provide proof of valid "CDL" license with appropriate endorsements.
  • All "CMV" drivers must comply with the University’s Drug-Free Workplace and Substance Abuse Policy and may be required to submit a drug and alcohol test post-accident or if there is reasonable suspicion of alcohol or drug use.  Refusal to submit or failure to comply may result in losing driving privileges.

For questions relating to the University policies of Audit, Risk and Compliance please contact:

Robin Oldfield, Assistant Vice President- Office of Audit, Risk and Compliance