Our Heart. Our Home.

In terms of mission, spirituality and campus geography, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception has been the heart of the UD community since it was built in 1869.

Marianists have professed and renewed their religious vows within its walls; students and alumni have professed their wedding vows in the chapel, and liturgies have shaped and sustained the faith life of the University. 

We invite you to seek out the chapel for a quiet moment of prayer between classes, at the beginning or end of the workday, or when simply walking by.

Important Dates

June 24, 1869

The Chapel was consecrated by Archbishop John Baptist Purcell.

August 16, 2015

The Chapel was rededicated after a 14-month, $12-million renovation.


Aerial photo of Chapel exterior Photo of baptismal font Photo of chapel dove Photo of chapel ceiling Photo of chapel stained glass Photo of statue in interior of chapel Photo of chapel pews Photo of chapel stained glass Photo of holy water basin in the chapel Photo of chapel baptismal font Photo of chapel interior Photo of cross inside the chapel Photo of stained glass window inside chapel Aerial photo of Chapel exterior Photo of baptismal font Photo of chapel dove Photo of chapel ceiling Photo of chapel stained glass Photo of statue in interior of chapel Photo of chapel pews Photo of chapel stained glass Photo of holy water basin in the chapel Photo of chapel baptismal font Photo of chapel interior Photo of cross inside the chapel Photo of stained glass window inside chapel

About the Chapel

History of the Chapel

In 1867, construction began on a suitable worship space at Nazareth Farm, where members of the Society of Mary were continuing Mary's mission of bringing Christ to the world by overseeing a fledgling school for boys. This was St. Mary's Institute, what eventually grew into the University of Dayton.

Over the next two years, bricklayers skillfully constructed 22-inch walls, including six chimneys (long removed). By the winter of 1868, the chapel had a roof, and this special place of worship began to take shape.

On June 24, 1869, Archbishop John Baptist Purcell, of Cincinnati, celebrated the rites of consecration and dedication of the "Church of the Nazareth" under the patronage of the Immaculate Conception, now often called simply and with affection the "UD chapel." Its "consecration," signified by "the 12 white marble Maltese crosses" on the side and rear walls, meant that it must always remain a place whose primary purpose is to celebrate the liturgical rites of the Catholic Church.

That beautiful summer day announced the glorious beginnings of our beloved chapel whose interior continues to reflect the sensibilities of the times. The chapel's original design took its lead from the liturgical rites the Church prescribed at that time. The sanctuary, demarcated by a graceful arch above and a simple wooden communion rail below, sheltered the high altar against the eastern wall, as was the custom. Both the altar and tabernacle were made of beautiful marble, but the tabernacle's marble door proved too difficult to open easily. It was replaced in 1901 with one of bronze and onyx. Two years later, the wooden communion rail was also changed to mirror the same style. Suspended above the congregation, on the "Gospel side" of the sanctuary's arch, appeared an elaborately carved wooden baldachino and under it, a pulpit, which a local artisan skillfully adorned with five figures, the four evangelists and the Blessed Virgin. It served its intended purpose sporadically over the next few decades, but fell into disuse in the 20th century. The original stained glass windows included 10 long windows, five on each of the north and south walls. Of simple design, they featured modest bands of color on each side culminating in a vividly colored liturgical symbol at the top. Four richly colored representations of Saints Peter, Paul, Augustine and Ambrose adorned the sanctuary, three colorful rosette windows graced the west wall, and another rosette window enhanced the east wall.

As the Marianists' devotional life evolved, adaptations to the chapel occurred frequently. In 1870, side altars were added. In 1876, the lovely reredos containing the statues of Mary, the Immaculate Conception, John and Peter graced the sanctuary. At some point in the chapel's rich history, the statue of Peter was altered and transformed into a statue of Joseph, according to oral history accounts. In 1878, stations of the cross were installed. The now- familiar statues of Our Lady of the Pillar and Blessed William Joseph Chaminade came to stand in their niches on either side of great wooden doors in 1951-1952.

In 1883, the interior was repainted, and a Covington, Kentucky, artist completed several murals to adorn the walls and ceiling. Over the next 60 years most of the original murals disappeared. Some were painted over, others retouched in the 1929 chapel refurbishing; two above the side altars were redone with new subject matter as part of the 1948-1949 chapel renovation, and those two were painted over in the 1971 renovation. In the 2015 renovation, the sanctuary ceiling required significant rebuilding to meet fire and safety codes. Sadly, this requirement made it impossible to preserve the ceiling mural, the Coronation of Mary, given that it was painted directly on the deteriorating plaster. The honor given Mary's participation in God's salvific plan through the mural is given new expression in the stained glass windows that grace the chapel's nave.

The most significant structural changes occurred in 1907 when a 20-foot addition enlarged the sacristy, and in 1919, when four confessionals were installed. The chapel's renovations also bear witness to dramatic technological changes. A coal-burning stove, installed in 1877 along the north wall, overwhelms many early photos. The 1898 addition of steam heating allowed the unsightly stove to be removed. In 1929, central heating was installed, and air-conditioned comfort arrived in 2000. Special lighting effects illuminated the tabernacle only three years after the 1899 installation of electricity, and in 1916, additional lighting produced "an aurora-like effect in the niche containing the tabernacle," according to archival reports.

The most dramatic renovation occurred in 1971 in response to Vatican II's call for liturgical renewal. The chapel's interior was reconfigured; new stained glass windows, designed by Herman Verbinnen, were installed; the main and side altars removed; a small altar was placed at the foot of the original sanctuary; individual chairs replaced pews; and the chapel dome was refurbished and painted blue. In 1983, the sanctuary was moved to the north wall of the chapel in order to accommodate more seating and to gather the assembly more closely around the altar. In 2000, the chairs were reoriented to face the original sanctuary, and a new sound system along with central air conditioning were added.

In 2007, a committee comprised of faculty, staff, alumni and students, began discussions on a complete chapel renovation. The group intensified its efforts in 2013 when sufficient funds had been raised. This renovation addressed many needs, including seating capacity; sufficient space and quality design to allow for the complete celebration of the full range of liturgical actions called for by the Church; and aesthetics that enhance prayer through beauty, dignity and simplicity.

Entrance

Chapel Doors

The beautiful, bold front doors welcome worshippers and visitors to the chapel. The chapel is universally accessible.

Gathering Space

All entrances lead to the gathering space, a place of welcome, and a threshold, a place of transition from the journey of everyday life to the celebration of liturgy. The faithful journey from many places and life experiences to be formed as one worshipping community. This also serves as a greeting area at funerals, weddings and other celebrations.

 

Nave / Worship Space

Baptismal Font

The baptismal font greets the faithful as they enter the nave, the main body of the worship space. Its placement reminds the faithful of their baptism, the first and foundational sacrament of the Christian life. Those who pass the font are invited to dip their hand in the life-giving waters and renew their baptismal promises as they sign themselves with the cross. The font also embraces those seeking baptism in its living waters. Both adults and infants can be baptized by effusion (partial immersion) in this font.

Woodcuts of Mary and the four evangelists, preserved from the hand-carved wooden pulpit, adorn the font's base. These figures testify to those who received the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and whose words and deeds inspired others to be baptized. Mary, the first among the disciples with her "Yes" to God's work in Jesus, stands at the center. The evangelists are depicted with symbols traditionally associated with them: Matthew (pen), Luke (ox), John (eagle) and Mark (lion). Elizabeth Allaire, of Cincinnati, Ohio, restored the woodcuts.

The two small fonts at the north and south entrances to the nave from the gathering space were designed and forged from copper by Michael Bendele, of Delphos, Ohio.

The Easter (Paschal) candle, prominently placed near the baptismal font, signifies the light of Christ in our midst, a light that no darkness can overcome. Each year, a new candle is blessed at the Easter Vigil. This candle's light shines forth during the subsequent Masses of the Easter season and for all baptisms and funerals. Its flame reminds the faithful of the saving light of Christ, the guide and beacon of hope for all baptized into the life of the Triune God.

The Ambry

The vessels of holy oils remain close to the baptismal font, awaiting their use in the Church's sacramental rituals. The sacred chrism is a fragrant oil used at baptisms, confirmations, holy orders, and the dedication of altars and churches. The oil of the sick is used for anointing those who are sick or dying, and the oil of the catechumenate is the ointment for those preparing for baptism. The base of the historical wooden pulpit also forms the base of the ambry.

Assembly Seating

Curved wooden pews and kneelers bring the assembly together to experience the Word of God more closely in community as the body of Christ and foster full and active participation in the liturgy. The main floor and balcony seat 376 people combined. The pews from a former church building near campus contribute to our LEED certification through the reuse of materials. The pews were refurbished by Cassady Woodworks, of Dayton, Ohio.

 

The Sanctuary

The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy from Vatican Council II describes four expressions of the presence of Christ in the Mass — in all the baptized who gather in the name of Jesus; in the Word of God proclaimed in the assembly; in the priest, who presides at communal worship; and in the celebration of the sacraments, especially the Eucharist. Prominent places in the chapel reflect these elements:

The altar, the primary symbol of Christ in a Catholic church, is the natural focal point of worship. Here, we recall and make present the sacrifice of Christ and are nourished by his body and blood to share in his life, death and resurrection. The Eucharist nourishes us for the pilgrim journey of Christian discipleship and service.

The ambo serves as the "table of the Word." Here, the faithful feast on scripture, the living Word of God, as they listen to it proclaimed and preached. The ambo's design echoes that of the altar to highlight Christian faith in the Triune God's sacramental presence in the Word and the Eucharist. The ambo is fully accessible for people of all abilities.

The presider requires a place of prominence and visibility to lead the assembly in prayer and worship in the name of Jesus. The chair placed on the altar's right serves that purpose and complements the designs of the altar and ambo.

The sanctuary features commissioned liturgical furnishings. These include an altar, ambo, presider chair, processional crucifix, altar candles, cantor stand and the Easter candle stand. Bro. Gary Marcinowski, S.M., associate professor of art and design at the University of Dayton, designed the sanctuary furnishings. Wood items were fashioned by Cassady Woodworks, and metal furnishings were made by Custom Metalworks, both of Dayton, Ohio. John Koepnick, of Lebanon, Ohio, designed and carved the corpus (body of Christ) on the processional crucifix.

Reredos

The statue of Mary, the Immaculate Conception has overlooked generations of the faithful and remains in its prominent place, resting in the reredos between statues of St. John and St. Joseph. In the spirit of the Marianist charism — "through the Mother to the Son" — the refurbished reredos has been granted another privilege, serving as an entrance to the new Eucharistic reservation chapel. According to oral history, the St. Joseph statue was converted from what was initially a statue of St. Peter.

Eucharistic Reservation Chapel

The Eucharistic reservation chapel provides a worthy space for the tabernacle and facilitates private prayer and adoration for the many individuals and small groups who use the chapel regularly. Following Catholic Church guidelines in Built of Living Stones, the reservation chapel is in a space distinct from the altar connected to the main nave and easily accessible to the congregation. Ours is located to the east of the sanctuary in the worship space. Along with a newly designed tabernacle, the canopy and other decorative elements of the chapel's historic hand-carved pulpit form the key features of the reservation chapel. The sanctuary lamp, which hangs above the entrance, is lit whenever the Blessed Sacrament is present in the tabernacle, signifying the presence of Christ in the reserved Eucharist. The tabernacle and sanctuary lamp were designed by Bro. Gary Marcinowski, S.M.

Reconciliation Room

This space is set apart for those seeking the sacrament of reconciliation. The stained glass window, depicting Jesus' baptism, reminds the baptized disciple that the Christian journey calls for restoration and renewal of our relationship with God and one another through reconciliation. The reconciliation room accommodates face-to-face or anonymous (behind- a-screen) confessions.

Stations of the Cross

Fourteen stations, based on the traditional stations of the Church (see list on next page), are installed in the nave of the chapel on the north and south walls. They invite us into the reality of Christ's suffering and death, taking us on a spiritual pilgrimage that allows us to make connections to our own lives and the world around us. The stations were designed and forged from copper by Michael Bendele, of Delphos, Ohio.

Beginning on the northeast side of the chapel near the sanctuary and circling west and around toward the reconciliation room, the stations read as follows:

  • First Station — Jesus is Condemned to Death
  • Second Station — Jesus is Made to Carry His Cross
  • Third Station — Jesus Falls for the First Time
  • Fourth Station — Jesus Meets His Sorrowful Mother
  • Fifth Station — Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus with His Cross
  • Sixth Station — Veronica Wipes the Face of Jesus
  • Seventh Station — Jesus Falls the Second Time
  • Eighth Station — Women of Jerusalem Weep Over Jesus
  • Ninth Station — Jesus Falls the Third Time
  • Tenth Station — Jesus is Stripped of His Garments
  • Eleventh Station — Jesus is Nailed to the Cross
  • Twelfth Station — Jesus is Raised Upon the Cross and Dies
  • Thirteenth Station — Jesus is Taken Down from the Cross
  • Fourteenth Station — Jesus is Laid in the Tomb

Dedication Crosses

In the dedication liturgy for Catholic churches, the chapel walls are anointed with sacred chrism, the same holy oil used for baptisms, confirmations and holy orders. This signifies that the chapel is given over entirely and perpetually to Christian worship. In keeping with liturgical tradition, 12 crosses are used, a symbol that the Church is an image of the holy city of Jerusalem. The 12 marble dedication crosses in the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception also were used at the first dedication in 1869.

Stained Glass

Using scripture stories as inspiration, the chapel's stained glass windows call us to reflect and act in the Marianist tradition as disciples of Jesus and servants of God. These beautiful windows support our faith journey.

Nave Windows
The Spirit of our Marianist Charism

As Marianists, we look to Mary, the first disciple, whose life gives us an example of how to follow Jesus faithfully. Stories of Mary in scripture lead us to Jesus and show us how to trust in and be faithful to God's call. Ten new windows were commissioned for the nave of the chapel, using historical photos of the original windows as a foundation for selecting design elements. A unique stained-glass medallion depicting images of Mary from scripture and Catholic tradition adorn the top of each window. Each window is 20 feet tall, and the medallions are two feet in diameter. Beginning on the south side near the sanctuary and circling toward the west and north, the medallions depict the following images:

  • Mary, Ark of the Covenant: Luke 2:19, 51
    Mary receives the title, the Ark of the New Covenant, from early Christians who compare her to the Ark of the Covenant, which bore the precious tablets of God's Law and symbolized the presence of God among the people. Mary bore Christ, the Word made flesh, and cherished God's word in her heart. Her love of Christ and fidelity to his mission inspire the Marianists in their mission.
  • The Annunciation: Luke 1:26-38
    The angel appears to Mary, declares her blessed among women and tells her that she will become the mother of the Son of God by the Holy Spirit's power. Mary's "Yes" to the angel Gabriel brings Christ into the world and serves as the starting point for the Marianist mission to continue to bring Jesus into the world. In a similar way, we are called to be radically open to God's initiative in our lives, and to continue the mission of Jesus in the world, responding as Mary did to God's call.
  • The Visitation: Luke 1:39-45
    Mary, in her first action in mission, travels in haste to attend to her pregnant cousin, Elizabeth. She shows the Marianist spirit of hospitality and expresses joy for the work God has asked of her. Mary acts as a witness to God's merciful nature, which supersedes the powers of the proud and rich. She also expresses her deep faith that nothing is impossible for God.
  • The Nativity of the Lord: Luke 2:6-14, Matthew 1:18-25
    The Mystery of the Incarnation (God dwelling with us) is central to Marianist spirituality. Because God became human and lived on this earth as we do, all of human life and all of creation are blessed and have innate dignity derived from Christ. We are called to present Christ to the world as Mary did in giving birth to Jesus.
  • The Presentation of Jesus in the Temple: Luke 2:22-40
    Like Mary, the faithful heed the words of Simeon, whose canticle commends believers to trust and to rest in God's loving, merciful hands.
  • The Finding in the Temple: Luke 2:41-52
    Like Mary, Marianists ponder the mysterious ways of God's presence and look to God's wisdom, rather than human. We long to dwell in God's house, our true home.
  • The Wedding Feast at Cana: John 2:1-12
    Mary's instructions to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you," inspires us to follow Jesus, to use our gifts in service to the world and trust in God's surprising generosity. In this story, Jesus turns water into the best wine for a wedding, illustrating God's abundant and fruitful love.
  • Mary and John at the Foot of the Cross: John 17:1-13, John 19:25-30
    Jesus' farewell discourse in John's Gospel proclaims the crucifixion to be the pinnacle of glory. Mary and the Beloved Disciple (traditionally understood as John) stand as silent witnesses to the glory of the Paschal Mystery, the Christian journey of dying so as to rise into a new life.
  • Pentecost: Acts 2:1-42
    Mary sits, one among a diverse faith community, with tongues of flame. Inspired by the Spirit, Jesus' disciples are sent forth to teach the Gospel, to the ends of the earth, in multitudes of ways. As the body of Christ, the Christian community exists for this mission. "The Marianist community aims to be an image of the first community of Jesus' disciples, united with Mary and filled with the Holy Spirit." (Society of Mary, Rule of Life, 34).
  • The Woman Clothed with the Sun: Rev. 12:1-6
    This image has been included in iconography of Mary (including both the Immaculate Conception and Our Lady of Guadalupe). It speaks, above all, to God's victory over evil and to Mary's favored place as the mother of the Savior. In Guadalupe, for example, she is depicted as more important than the sun (eclipsing the sun) and the moon (standing on the moon) and clothed in the beauty of the stars.
Pathway of Discipleship Windows
Our Identity as Disciples of Jesus and Servants of God

The University of Dayton's educational mission places a priority on faith formation. In worship, we are invited into the Paschal Mystery of dying and rising with Christ and are transformed into the body of Christ, to live this mystery in our daily lives.

The south addition to the chapel is called the Pathway of Discipleship. Jesus calls his disciples to keep the faith, live it, profess it, confidently bear witness to it and spread it. The stained glass art on the pathway from east to west depicts images of Jesus' life; baptism, the Word of God, prayer, Eucharist and service. These events stand as signposts on the path of every Christian who shares in the mission of Jesus through the grace of our loving God.

  • Reconciliation Room: Romans 6:1-4
    Baptism, the first window in the discipleship series, is located in the reconciliation room, off the south wall of the main worship space. Through reconciliation, we enter into the death of Jesus to find new life through our baptism. Reconciliation mends our relationship with God and the body of Christ, the Church. God calls us back to this union, and welcomes us with mercy and unconditional love.
  • Word of God: Jesus is Formed by God's Word Luke 2:51-52
    As Marianists, we believe we are formed by Mary, the first disciple, to bring the presence of Christ into the world. As Mary formed Jesus, she forms us into faithful disciples. The Word of God teaches us about God's relationship with humanity throughout salvation history and in our lives today. Through the Word, we understand how God loves us and how we are to love in return — with the action of our lives. This image is based on the classic image of Mary, Seat of Wisdom.
  • Prayer: Jesus in the Desert Luke 4:1-13
    Before Jesus entered into public ministry, he retreated to the desert for 40 days. He spent time in prayer, was tempted and showed his faithfulness to God. The desert emerges as a rich theme in the journey of discipleship. Times of challenge can be desert times — when we thirst for God, encounter temptation and undergo great change. Times of retreat and prayer strengthen us for the challenges of a faith-filled life and clarify our identity as disciples of Jesus. Jesus' model of prayerful retreat teaches us to be people of prayer in relationship with God. Through prayer, we communicate with God. When we bring all aspects of our life to God, we find comfort, guidance and a partner on the journey.
  • Eucharist: Jesus Feeding Thousands Matthew 14:13–21
    Stories about how Jesus fed people are Eucharistic. They illustrate how Jesus himself becomes the bread of life for us. Jesus feeds us and strengthens us for the journey of faith in God. Celebrating the Eucharist educates us and transforms us; our faith comes alive, and we are sent forth in mission as disciples of Jesus and servants of God, one another and the poor.
  • Service: Jesus Washing the Feet of the Disciples John 13:1-20
    The story of the last supper in the Gospel of John is the story of the washing of the feet. Here, Jesus models humble service as the mark of a faithful disciple. When Jesus washes the feet of his disciples, he inspires us to service — as a way of being the body of Christ in the world.
Restored Original Windows

When the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception was built in 1869, its beauty shone through its stained glass windows, which together cost nearly $2,000 — a veritable fortune for those days. The many that remain have now been repaired and restored to their original beauty. Along with historical photos of the original nave windows, these provided the color and design inspiration for new windows in the chapel.

The four side windows near the sanctuary contain beautifully colored representations of Saints Peter and Augustine on the north and Saints Paul and Ambrose on the south. Peter and Paul were the premier apostles who paved the way for the universal Christian mission. Ambrose served as bishop of Milan whose learned preaching inspired Augustine to be baptized. Augustine became the most influential theologian in Western Christianity.

The Easter vigil liturgy proclaims, "Christ, yesterday and today. The beginning and the end, the Alpha and the Omega. All time belongs to him and all the ages. To him be glory and power through every age and forever." The crucifixion rosette on the east wall overlooks the entire worship space, reminding us of the centrality of the death and resurrection of Jesus for our salvation. This original window is now the centerpiece between the new alpha and omega windows.

The windows on the west wall are richly tinted rosettes. For the first time in chapel history, these can be viewed by the entire assembly because the balcony was lowered and organ relocated for this renovation.

Devotional Areas

Devotional prayer has a long-standing history in Catholicism. Three new devotional spaces have been set aside on the north side of the chapel. Here, members of the community can pray privately or in small groups in an intimate environment. Devotional candles may be lit for special intentions.

Mary — Mother of Enduring Love

The eastern area is dedicated to Mary. Janet McKenzie, of Island Pond, Vermont, has created an oil-on-canvas painting for this space. Her painting conveys Mary's timeless presence as one who lives among those who seek her guidance and consolation. Such truth takes its inspiration from Mary's Magnificat (Luke 1:46-55) and Our Lady of Guadalupe and testifies to the great beauty that has been given to the Christian community from people of different times and places who have embraced the joy of the Gospel.

Marianist Mission

The central devotional area is dedicated to telling the story of our Marianist founders and the mission of the Marianist family in art. Bro. Martin Erspamer, O.S.B., of St. Meinrad Archabbey, Indiana, has designed this piece as a panel painting on wood to teach and inspire our community to carry on the charism of our Marianist founders through the way we live our daily lives.

Risen Christ

The western devotional area is dedicated to Jesus. John Nava, of Ojai, California, developed this original tapestry of the risen Christ. The glowing Christ figure's gesture expresses openness and offers an embrace to those praying in the chapel. In addition to inviting the community to meet Jesus through his resurrection, this space also will be used as a rotating devotional space. For example, it will be a place to prayerfully remember a current student, faculty or staff member who has passed away, to place the Book of the Dead in the month of November, or to exhibit seasonal artwork like the Christmas crèche.

Exterior Highlights

Chapel Dome

The iconic blue dome of the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception, which is constructed of metal and wood, has been repaired and restored. Some interesting facts about the dome:

  • Top of the cross is 95 feet above the ground
  • The cross is 7 feet 4 inches tall from the ball to the top of the cross
  • The "arms" of the cross extend 4 feet 6 inches
  • The ball below the cross is 30 inches in diameter
  • Each of the four small towers is 10 feet tall
St. Mary's Courtyard

The colorful garden in the St. Mary's Courtyard now serves as an extension of the sacred environment of the chapel. It features an area for donor recognition, a memorial garden and places to pray and gather for outdoor receptions or classroom experiences. The walkways leading through the garden are aligned with plants that vary in color, shape, texture and fragrance. The art pieces provide visual interest and inspiration. The garden can be enjoyed in all seasons as a place to gather with others or as a quiet place for reflection or study.

The Three O'Clock Prayer
The Three O'Clock Prayer is a prayer of spiritual unity for the Marianist family. Marianist communities all over the world interrupt their work and study at 3 p.m. daily to express communion with Mary and the Beloved Disciple, who are closely united with Jesus on the cross. The donor recognition sculpture in this area, reminiscent of a timepiece set to the three o'clock hour, is placed to honor all who have contributed to the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception. The metal sculpture and stone prayer pieces were designed by Hamilton Dixon, of Dayton, Ohio.

Memorial Area
The ROTC memorial honors those ROTC students and alumni who have died in active duty military service to their country. These plaques, which were previously located in the chapel, now have a permanent place in this sacred area.

Entrance Plaza and West Wall

The main entrance to the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception is universally accessible. Students, alumni, faculty, staff and visitors can still stand in the center of the entrance plaza and test the infamous "echo point." The statues on either side of the doors were acquired in 1951-52. On the right is Blessed William Joseph Chaminade, founder of the Society of Mary. On the left is Our Lady of the Pillar. Father William Joseph Chaminade's prayerful devotion to her during his exile in Saragossa, Spain, transformed his life's mission and inspired his commitment to develop faith communities in France after the revolution.