Skip to main content

General FAQs

General FAQs

How can my student find a job?

There are a variety of jobs available on campus that students can apply for to earn a little extra spending money. The quickest way to find out what student jobs are available on campus is by looking online. There are two types of jobs available, University funded and federal work study (paid for with funds awarded by the U.S. Department of Education and awarded to students who demonstrate the highest financial need). More specific information about student employment can be found on the Student Employment website.

What if my student gets sick?

The Student Health Center located in Gosiger Hall is available for all students if they are ill or in need of any medical information.  Students should contact the Health Center for an appointment.  Walk-ins are accepted for emergencies only.  The Health Center maintains a large stock of commonly used medicines and dispenses them directly to patients on the order of the Health Center physicians.  Because the staff does not include a pharmacist, prescriptions from outside physicians cannot be filled at the Health Center.  The Health Center can, however, arrange for prescriptions to be filled by an outside pharmacy and delivered to the Health Center for the student's convenience. 

Is UD a safe campus and what services are offered in the area of public safety?

To help provide safety to our campus community members, the University of Dayton Police Officers are on duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  They conduct 24 hour patrol through the use of marked patrol vehicles, bicycles and foot patrol. Officers within the Department are State Certified with police powers and authority as set forth under section 1713.50 of the Ohio Revised Code. All officers have obtained at least 560 hours of specialized training through the  Ohio Peace Officer's Training Academy as mandated by the Ohio Revised Code.  Safety and security systems are installed throughout the campus, including fire and security alarms, electronic access control, video cameras, and emergency phones.  These systems aid Public Safety in its mission of providing a safe and secure campus.  All campus safety and security systems are monitored in the Department of Public Safety Communication Center, enabling immediate response to an emergency on campus or within a university facility.  Campus crime statistics and all of the safety services provided can be viewed on the Public Safety website.

My student is struggling in a couple of classes. Is there any academic assistance available?

The Ryan C. Harris Learning Teaching Center's Office of Learning Resources is a learning resource for students, parents, faculty and staff at the University of Dayton. They offer a wide variety of services to assist all students in achieving academic success at the university including individual consultations and academic coaching, tutoring and other course-specific disabilities. Please visit the Office of Learning Resources website to learn about all the services offered.

I’m not sure but my student may have some learning challenges. Is there a place that might help address those questions?

The University of Dayton is committed to including individuals with disabilities as full participants in programs, services and activities through compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 and the ADA Amendments Act (2008). The Office of Learning Resources/Disability Services ensures that qualified students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at UD so they can participate freely and actively in all facets of university life by providing access to programs and services.

Will my financial aid be the same every year?

Not necessarily.  Financial aid awards are good only for the academic year that they are awarded.  To ensure that you are receiving the most financial aid every year, it's important to file the FAFSA annually.  Also, if a student is receiving a University of Dayton merit scholarship, they must maintain a 3.0 gpa in order for this scholarship to renew.  If you ever have questions about financial aid, or if you experience a special circumstance that has a strong impact on your family financially while your son or daughter is attending UD, visit the financial aid website.

Housing and Residence Life – I have so many questions, where do I start?

First-year roommates are matched in July and transfer assignments are made after that time. Assignments and roommate information can be accessed by students through Porches.  It is recommended that students begin communicating with their assigned roommate prior to arrival on campus in August. At the end of the Fall semester, if the student is returning to the same room, their items may remain in the room over the Christmas Break. At the end of the Spring semester, students are asked to remove their belongings and move to a new location at the end of finals week. If you have further questions, please check out the Housing and Residential Life website.

Why can't I call my student's teachers and ask about my student's progress?

Many parents find that access to college student records are not the same as they were used to in K-12. In brief, this is the gist of the law: In the absence of an official request, information contained in a student’s records remains confidential between the student and UD and will not be released to third parties (this includes parents) without the consent of the student. According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), officials at the University of Dayton may only release information about a student's educational records to the student. Some departments may have FERPA waivers that your son or daughter may be able to sign to give you access to his or her educational records. If you’d like more information regarding this, please contact your student’s academic department. More information about FERPA is available on the U.S. Department of Education's web site.

What is the interaction of the community and students especially with regards to banking, dining, and shopping? 

The city of Dayton is very supportive of UD and its students! Local banks have numerous ATM machines on campus and may provide free checking and debit card services.

Day Air Credit Union is located in Marianist Hall (on the east end of the building) next to the Post Office. There are Day Air ATM's located in Kennedy Union, College Park Center, Marianist Hall, Marycrest Complex, Campus South, The RecPlex, and Virginia W. Kettering Hall. Other Bank ATM's include PNC (located in Kennedy Union, the RecPlex and UD Arena), KeyBank, and Fifth Third (all located in Kennedy Union). If you want to know about the best places to eat, ask a current student! The students know where the best food and prices are at all the area restaurants.

What can students do when they aren't studying (you know-that one hour a day where they aren't buried in a book or writing a paper)?  

For the few moments when students aren’t pursuing the world of scholarly enlightenment , there are tons of things to do on campus. Campus activities, intramurals, theater arts events on campus and in the community, student organization events, retreats and service opportunities, athletic events, and many other options await students. 

Weeks of Welcome (WoW) is a calendar of events specifically designed to introduce first-year students to the variety of events offered during the first semester at UD. New students will find weekly updates on Porches.

University shopping shuttle
A University of Dayton shopping shuttle is offered through Public Safety to Governor's Place, a location shopping center that includes restaurants, grocery and retail shopping, a hair salon, and a video store.  The Shuttle provides free transportation to students Saturday from 11:15 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Visit the Public Safety Web site for a detailed schedule. 

City Bus System
The Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority, or RTA, provides public transportation by way of buses around the Dayton area. Visit the RTA website for up-to-date information, fees, and a ride planner.

Area Shopping
The Greene: Visit

Dayton Mall: Located on SR 725 in Miami Township. Take I-75 South to exit 44 (Centerville/Miamisburg exit). Turn left at end of ramp and mall is approximately ½ mile on the right.

Fairfield Commons Mall: Located on N. Fairfield Road at I-675. Take Route 35 East to I-675 North. Take the 2nd exit (North Fairfield Road). Turn right and the mall is approximately ¼ mile on the right. 

Grocery and Pharmacy
Kroger: 1555 Wayne Ave. (Grocery store)
Take Brown St. north to Wyoming St. Turn right onto Wyoming. Turn right onto Wayne and Kroger is on the right.

Walgreens: 1542 Wayne Ave. (Pharmacy)
Across from Kroger (see directions above)

Meijer: 4075 Wilmington Pike (Super store including groceries and pharmacy)
Located on Wilmington Pike at Stroop Rd. Take Irving Ave. east to Wilmington. Turn right onto Wilmington. Stay on Wilmington for about three miles until you reach Stroop. After you cross Stroop Rd., the store is on your right.


Student Transitions and Family Programs

Gosiger Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 0911