Skip to main content


Resources for Students

Whether it's navigating an unfamiliar campus for the first time, or navigating a familiar campus in new circumstances, knowing where to start is often the hardest part. 

We encourage you to utilize existing resources as part of self care that is essential to, and supportive of, your success inside and outside of the classroom. Below is information for students to connect with the resources they need.

Resources for Specific Concerns

Who do I go to if....?

  • Your academic advisor is a great resource to help you sort through all of the new challenges of college. You can email, and someone will get you in touch with your advisor or your dean’s office.
  • The Counseling Center offers a group called Coping with College. This group will focus on providing weekly drop-in support as well as strategies to make the best of your college experience.  The group leader is also a first generation college graduate. You can sign up online:
  • Resident Assistant
  • MEC - Multi Ethnic Education and Engagement Center

The Dean of Students Office can help connect you with on and off campus resources to support your immediate and long-term needs, and you can email them at to set-up a meeting.

  • Center for Student Involvement - Student Organizations
  • Campus Ministers can be great resources to help you connect with other students and to build community through small groups, campus retreats, and other opportunities to build friendships based on shared values and/or interests.
  • The Counseling Center offers a group called Coping with College. The group is a great opportunity to meet peers and we often discuss ways to make connections on campus.  You can sign up online:
  • Center for International Programs - The Center for International Programs can help connect US and international students through peer to peer programs. Make friends with students from all over the world!
  • CADRE - Students often feel pressure to drink in order to develop social relationships or a sense of belonging. CADRE is here to assist you in assessing your values and goals and provide feedback/resources to support you in developing healthy and successful experiences and relationships.

  • The Counseling Center offers a program called Let's Talk which is a service that offers brief, informal, consultations with a mental health provider. Students can discuss a specific concern, such as not feeling supported by family, or talk more generally about what therapy has to offer. You can sign up online:
  • Campus Ministers provide a listening ear and sounding board as you seek additional support and navigate changing relationships at home.

The student health center is available Monday-Friday 8:30-4:30 for all types of medical issues from illness to injuries to women's and men's health issues.  We can do X-rays on site, dispense common prescription medications and order others for delivery from a local pharmacy.  We do all sorts of testing, including for the virus that causes COVID-19.  There is no visit fee for consultation with a physician or nurse for undergrads and certain grad students.  Fees apply to medications, lab tests, X-rays, etc.  More information is available here (

  • Office of Learning Resources

  • OLR
  • Faculty member

  • Housing & Residence Life
  • The Counseling Center offers a program called Let's Talk which is a service that offers brief, informal, consultations with a mental health provider. Students can discuss a specific concern, such as roommate disagreements, or talk more generally about what therapy has to offer. You can sign up online:

  • College is an exciting time but it is a major transition which is always difficult. The Counseling Center offers a group called Coping with College. The group is a great opportunity to meet peers and discuss the many challenges students experience. You can sign up online: In addition, you may be interested in a one time consultation with a therapist through a program called Let's Talk to discuss specific strategies for a healthy adjustment.  You can sign up online:
  • Campus Ministers welcome the opportunity to get to know you and to hear your family stories. We provide a listening ear and can help you navigate the changes you are experiencing in family relationships, connect with a family of faith or find spiritual support during this time.

Off Campus Resources

  • Family
  • Friends

Center for Alcohol and other Drug Resources and Education - CADRE’s licensed counselors can support you in evaluating your current use and assist you in setting up a plan to reduce risks associated with alcohol or other drug use with a focus on the presenting problem, stress, and strategies to manage stress more effectively.

Off Campus Resources:

  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Treatment Locator, 
  • Todd Reed, Therapist, Kettering OH 937.299.4804

  • Academic advisors can be a great resource  when you’re not sure where to start. Email to get in touch with someone to help you get started!
  • Office of Learning Resources
  • Resident Assistant

Off campus resources:

  • Family
  • Friends

  • The Dean of Students Office can help you think through your options for seeking help, including considering your options, seeking confidential support, and/or your options for reporting, if you choose.  Contact to set up a meeting.
  • The Equity Compliance Office is here to provide options and support resources for any experiences of bias, discrimination, or harassment. We will work with students to address any fears they may have from attending a large gathering, but at the end of the day, want students to feel safe and welcome on campus. We also provide anonymous consultations by phone at 937-229-3622.
  • The Counseling Center is a confidential resource on campus which can provide support and explore options for students who experience discrimination. Call the Counseling Center at 1-937-229-3141 and schedule an initial appointment with a therapist.
  • Campus Ministers will be sensitive to your concerns and will support you as you navigate the complexities of your situation. Campus Ministry’s ordained ministers (including Fr. Kip Stander, Fr. Tom Schroer, and Rev. Dustin Pickett) also serve as confidential resources on campus.

If you need immediate medical attention, you can call 911, Public Safety (229-2121), or go to a local hospital. 

You can report your experience to any of these UD offices: 

  • The Equity Compliance Office can assist with reporting options, interim measures and identifying other available assistance. 937-229-3622
  • Students can also seek assistance from the Dean of Students office, Sexual Violence Prevention & Education, & LGBTQ+ Student Services 937-229-1212

You can report your experience confidentially to these individuals:

  • Licensed mental health providers at the Counseling Center at 229-3141
  • Physicians at the Health Center at 229-3131 - Physicians at the health center are confidential sources of care. We can provide an exam to look for STD's, follow-up testing (including after an ER visit), and referrals for support. If someone is interested in prosecution, we would encourage early reporting to Public Safety and an examination at the Emergency Department for evidence collection.
  • Campus Ministry’s ordained ministers (including Fr. Kip Stander, Fr. Tom Schroer, and Rev. Dustin Pickett),

The following are off-campus resources:

  • Artemis Center 24 Hour Crisis Hotline 937-461-HELP (4357) TTY 461-7910 on the web at
  • RAINN confidential sexual assault hotline 800-656-4673
  • Montgomery County Prosecutor 24 Hour Sexual Assault Hotline 937-225-5623
  • Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) forensic examinations are available at both Miami Valley Hospital and Kettering Medical Center emergency departments.

  • Resident Assistant
  • The Dean of Students Office is not a one stop shop, but we are a great place to start.  If you are unsure of who you need to contact or have a question about anything, email, and they are happy to help.

The Counseling Center is working hard to offer students appointments within a reasonable timeline. We encourage you to schedule the initial assessment appointment several weeks out but request to be called if a sooner appointment becomes available. Then, if another student cancels their appointment, you will be called and offered their time. In addition, students seeking a brief consultation, can sign up for a Let’s Talk appointment, offered daily, via Zoom. If a student is not able/willing to wait for the next available non-emergency intake appointment through the Counseling Center, a list of outside referrals can be provided.

A few of the most common outside referrals include:

  • TCN in Kettering, Ohio (937-376-8701,
  • Empower Psychology and Wellness (937 541-0258) 
  • South Community (937-293-8300)
  • Dr Matt Heiner (937 818-1692,, 
  • Atrium Counseling Services (private pay only, 937 999-9677)
  • Cedarwood Counseling (Mark Sisson; private pay only, 1-937-312-5501)

  • MEC - Multi Ethnic Education & Engagement Center
  • Brook Center (LGBTQ+ Student Services) - As part of the Brook Center's mission to support students' holistic wellbeing, LGBTQ+ Student Services offers students opportunities to connect with LGBTQ+ identifying individuals, as well as those who are committed to allyship. Whether you're just looking to connect, or looking for ways to get more deeply involved, we can help you identify what will best meet your needs and goals.
  • Military and Veteran Programs and Services - MVPS exists to serve the UD military and veteran community. This community is made up of those who currently or have previously served in the Armed Forces of the United States and their families. Responsibilities include veteran transition to higher education, support to students who balance their education with ongoing military duty, enrollment and retention, benefits advising, and community outreach. MVPS is the “First Stop Shop” for all UD military and veteran community members.
  • Campus Ministers are invested in knowing and honoring students in all their identities and as such we are often able to help connect students who are seeking to meet others with similar identities.
  • The Women's Center provides a space for all students who are committed to gender and social justice issues, to connect, foster relationships with one another, and work collaboratively to advance gender equity at UD and beyond. We welcome individuals of all genders to visit our space, deepen their understanding of the ways in which gender intersects with their daily lives, and take meaningful action to create a more inclusive community. We offer programs, student volunteer opportunities, and resources to support our entire campus community.  
  • Students in or seeking recovery support can reach out to CADRE @  One of our  licensed counselors will be happy to provide support or connect you with resources in the community.  In addition, CADRE offers Recovery Ally (RISH) and Transforming How Recovery is Viewed Everywhere (THRIVE) training for students seeking to gain information and/or be allies for other students in recovery

CADRE - Center for Alcohol and other Drug Resources and Education

The following are off-campus resources:

  • Alcoholics Anonymous:
  • Families of Addicts (FOA)
  • National Association of Children of Addiction (NACoA)


Mental Health Promotion and Suicide Prevention