See UD's plans for teaching, learning and research this fall with measures to promote safety and lessen the risk of COVID-19 spread. See UD case dashboard here.

Skip to main content

COVID-19 Health Resources

The University is committed to protecting the health and safety of our campus community. The steps we are taking follow the guidance of public health officials and are in the best interest of UD and the surrounding community.

The information below includes information about cases on campus, the testing protocol for students, tips on what to do and where to turn if you suspect you have COVID-19 or have come in contact with someone with COVID-19, how to keep yourself safe and healthy, and the latest public health guidance. 

Our highly residential campus environment and our responsibility to the larger issue of public health require us to be proactive, rather than reactive, in making decisions that affect the well-being of our community.

Additional resources can be found on the following pages:

Confirmed cases at UD

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or notified by public health officials they are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 must fill out this disclosure form

COVID-19 updates on current UD operations

The Path Forward: UD's work to implement safety measures for the fall

For questions not answered by these websites, please email

Why is the University requiring students to get a flu vaccination? 

We initiated an influenza vaccination program for fall 2020 to reduce the risk of potentially severe respiratory illness during this academic year. Each year in the United States, influenza kills thousands of people and causes hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations. An influenza vaccination helps protect everyone on campus from influenza, its complications and death. In fall 2020, it is especially prudent to reduce the presence of illnesses with respiratory impacts, because individuals with COVID-19 may exhibit similar symptoms (such that anyone with such symptoms should avoid others and stay home). And for a community such as the University of Dayton, where many individuals live or work in congregate settings, it is advisable to reduce the potential for illness so our community is able to continue to live and work together on campus.  Public health officials and the University’s medical advisory panel have recommended the influenza vaccine for everyone in the campus community, and the University made it a requirement. 

Where can I get a flu shot?

Premier Community Health and University of Dayton will hold free flu shot clinics Oct. 19, Oct. 21 and Oct. 23. More information, including specific dates and times and a registration link, is forthcoming. The University of Dayton Student Health Center will accept flu shot walk-ins from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 13, and from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 30. The Student Health Center is not accepting appointments for flu shots at this time, and it recommends you go to walk-in hours or a flu clinic. 

Why is the deadline Nov. 1? 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people receive a flu shot by the end of October. 

Can I receive an exemption? 

For an exemption on medical, religious or philosophical grounds, you must read and fill out the form here and submit it to Premier Health Network, which is administering flu vaccine compliance and exemptions for the University, by emailing it to by Nov. 1. Students with exemptions will still be able to live on and come to campus.  

What happens if I don't get one? 

Students who do not receive a flu shot or properly submit an exemption form will be required to study remotely for the spring 2021 term. 

Who shouldn't get a flu shot? 

Anyone with an allergy to eggs or any of the ingredients in the vaccine or who has or has had Guillain-Barré Syndrome should talk with their primary care physician about whether they should get a flu shot. Your physician can help decide whether vaccination is right for you, and select the best vaccine for your situation. Students can find more information at

Do I have to get a shot on campus? 

You can get a flu shot from your primary care physician or a public health department or pharmacy near you. Students who receive the flu vaccine off campus must submit proof of vaccination to by Nov. 1. Your vaccine receipt/documentation must be attached to the email and include your name; student ID number and birthdate; provider name; and vaccine administration date. 

Where can I find more information about flu shots? 

You can read more information about getting a flu shot during the pandemic, including benefits, on the CDC website.

What if I come in contact with someone tested for or diagnosed with COVID-19, or I live or work where there is COVID-19?

If you are a resident of or work in a community where there is an ongoing spread of COVID-19, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance calls for you to monitor your health and call your health care provider right away if you develop symptoms of COVID-19

If you have been identified by the public health department as a close contact of someone with COVID-19 or you are being tested for the virus, please contact your health care provider, work remotely and self-quarantine until a health care professional determines you do not have or are free of the virus. See CDC explanation of "close contact" here.

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or notified by public health officials they are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 must fill out this disclosure form. 

Regardless of whether you have been exposed or are being tested, the University is asking everyone who can work from home to do so.

Please note the seasonal flu and other respiratory viruses are still prevalent in the area. While it is prudent to take symptoms seriously, do not assume you have or someone else has COVID-19 because they are unwell. 

I'm not feeling well. Who decides if I need to be tested? 
I am an employee who was sent home due to fever. What should I do?

Please call your health care provider who will decide whether you need to be tested. Your health care provider may consult with public health officials for additional guidance. If you don't have a primary care provider, you can reach out to a telehealth service, such as LiveHealthOnline, which is available to those with health insurance through the university.

Please note the seasonal flu and other respiratory viruses are still prevalent in the area. While it is prudent to take symptoms seriously, do not assume you have or someone else has COVID-19 because they are unwell. 

What if employees start exhibiting symptoms while on campus?

If a faculty or staff member begins exhibiting symptoms while they are on campus, they should leave campus immediately and consult their primary care provider. 

UD employees may obtain a COVID-19 test at​ the Premier Health testing site located across from Miami Valley Hospital at onMain, 1229 S. Main St.​; enter through ​​the former fairgrounds main entrance. The site is open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday​. ​A health care provider's order and health insurance card​ are required. To obtain a test order, ​employees with UD health care can consult LiveHealth Online

Faculty and staff should report COVID-19-related health conditions at the COVID-19 Health Reporting webpage. Use the forms to self-disclose positive COVID-19 test results, report a close contact exposure to UD if they have been contacted by public health officials, or provide a "final day" symptoms update on the last day of quarantine/isolation. 

For employees who are required to quarantine, the amount of time needed to cover the quarantine period will be added to their accrued paid sick leave balance to preserve their existing balance to be used for other incidents of illness. Contact Beth Schwartz at if you have questions about how quarantine may affect sick leave. 

What happens if I test positive for COVID-19?

If you are positive for COVID-19, you should abide by CDC guidelines, including self-isolation. Call your health care provider or a telehealth provider to discuss self-care recommendations. The health department will trace your contacts to identify people recently in contact with you so they can take precautions, including self-quarantine. If you need to go into a facility such as an urgent care center or an emergency room, call before you go and let the facility or 911 know that you are positive for COVID-19 and follow their instructions to prevent spread of the virus to health care providers, patients and others.

How long should I isolate myself?

How long someone is actively infectious can vary so the decision on when to release someone from isolation is made on a case-by-case basis in consultation with doctors, infection prevention and control experts, and public health officials.

Current CDC guidance for when it is OK to release someone from isolation includes a number of factors for doctors and public health experts to take into consideration. Someone who has been released from isolation is not considered to pose a risk of infection to others.

If I have been identified by the public health department as a close contact of someone with COVID-19, are there steps I should take to help avoid getting sick?

In addition to following health department guidance about self-quarantine, here are additional recommended precautions from the CDC for household members, intimate partners and caregivers in a non-health care setting of a patient with symptomatic laboratory-confirmed COVID-19, or a patient under investigation. See CDC explanation of "close contact" here.

I'm a supervisor. What if someone reports to me they have COVID-19?

If you receive a report, confirmed or unconfirmed, that a member of your team has been exposed to or has contracted coronavirus, please call the Health Center at 937-229-3131 for guidance. Please remember not to share the person's health information with colleagues. This is a violation of their privacy, and this information is protected by HIPAA and other laws. We continue to be in close contact with regional public health officials to investigate cases and trace potential contacts. 

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or notified by public health officials they are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 must fill out this disclosure form. 

What if I find out an employee or someone in their home was exposed somewhere outside the home to COVID-19? 

"Close contact" is described by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as being within 6 feet of a person for more than 15 minutes. Furthermore, a contact of a contact is not a contact. The employee or you would not become a contact unless the person in your home showed symptoms of COVID-19. A good rule of thumb is, if you or the person in your home who works where there is COVID-19 are not contacted by a public health official for contact tracing, you should be safe.

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or notified by public health officials they are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 must fill out this disclosure form. 

I'm a supervisor. What should I do if I suspect someone has COVID-19?

Supervisors (with the support and involvement of HR as needed) should ask employees who are exhibiting symptoms to go home and contact their health care provider for further evaluation, including when it is safe to return to work. We ask staff to cooperate with supervisors for the well-being of all.

Anyone testing positive for COVID-19 or notified by public health officials they are a close contact of someone with COVID-19 must fill out this disclosure form. 


If you are feeling anxious or worried because of the news about COVID-19, students can call the counseling center and employees may contact Lifeworks Employee Assistance Program.

All University of Dayton Counseling Center services will be provided digitally or by telephone. Students can contact the counseling center at 937-229-3141 to discuss appointment options.

The UD Student Health Center in Gosiger Hall is open evenings and weekends, in addition to regular weekday hours, for student health needs, including when you’re not feeling well, need a vaccine or have symptoms of COVID-19. The urgent care site at the InterMed building is no longer be open for student or employee visits. 

  • During regular hours, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, please call the Health Center at 937-229-3131 to schedule an appointment with one of the University's board-certified primary care physicians or registered nurses.
  • During new evening and weekend hours, 5 to 9 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, schedule an appointment online to see a Premier Health urgent care medical practitioner at the UD Student Health Center. If you have already scheduled an appointment at the InterMed building, you will be contacted to move your appointment to the Student Health Center.
  • In addition to checkups and urgent care, the Health Center offers COVID-19 testing. Please alert the center if you are having coronavirus symptoms when you schedule your appointment.
  • If you have tested positive or are a close contact of someone who has tested positive, you should fill out the online disclosure form and make arrangements to return home for isolation or quarantine if possible. You do not need to wait for the contact tracer to contact you. This is to allow the University to prioritize isolation and quarantine space for those who live farther away than 400 miles and for those who cannot return home, for example, because a family member is at high risk for COVID-19.
  • With the quick increase in cases on campus recently, it will take time for the University’s team of trained contact tracers to interview all of those diagnosed with COVID-19 and work to identify and reach out to their close contacts. More information on contact tracing and a close contact definition is available from the CDC.

In addition to the UD Student Health Center, students who have symptoms of COVID-19 can be tested on campus under the tent in lot C after a telehealth appointment. Details are available here.

More information on the UD Student Health Center is also available online.


All University of Dayton Counseling Center services are being provided by Zoom or by telephone for new and existing clients. Students can contact the counseling center at 937-229-3141 to discuss appointment options. The counseling center has made every effort to contact existing clients to see how they are doing and offer services.

Services may be limited for students living outside Ohio because of certain state laws; check with the Counseling Center for details. 

Psychology Today and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association national helpline can provide referrals for anyone looking for a provider closer to home.

If you are in imminent danger of suicide, please call 911. If you have thoughts of self-harm or suicide and need to talk to someone, please call the National Suicide Hotline at 800-273-8255 or text "Help" to 741741.

University of Dayton Facilities Management has been following best practices for water and HVAC systems in preparation for our return to campus. 

Facilities Management's maintenance of water systems includes testing and flushing water systems in all campus buildings twice a week.

For HVAC systems, Facilities Management is following American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers recommendations for airflow and room air changes. Many buildings, including labs, studios and residence halls, use 100 percent outside air, and Facilities Management will increase outside air in other buildings when possible. As buildings become occupied, Facilities Management will run HVAC systems for two hours before and after the start of the workday to cycle new air into buildings. Facilities Management also is utilizing particle filtration where feasible and changing air filters more frequently.