Skip to main content


Academic & Housing Accommodations

The Counseling Center works with students and the Office of Learning Resources (OLR) to assist students in accessing accommodations to increase academic success. A request for accommodations begins with OLR and students can choose to sign a release of information which would allow their ongoing therapist at the Counseling Center to submit documentation related to the requested accommodations.

ADHD Accommodations

A diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) requires more extensive psychoeducational testing than the Counseling Center provides. The UD Counseling Center has a list of providers in the Dayton area who offer testing for ADHD.  Please call the Counseling Center, at 937-229-3141, for a list of those providers.  It is also suggested to check with your health insurance company to see whether they cover psychoeducational testing and which providers they cover in the area.

Emotional Support Animal Accommodations

An emotional support animal (ESA) is an animal that provides comfort to an individual with a disability upon the recommendation of a mental health professional and alleviates one or more identifiable symptoms or effects of a person’s disability, when the need for such an animal has been established.

  • An ESAs role is to alleviate symptoms of a disability in order to provide equal opportunities to use and enjoy housing.
  • The regulations permitting ESAs pertain only to places of residence or “dwelling” and does not include the right to have an ESA accompany someone outside of their residence (eg class or work).
  • Individuals with ESAs are expected to honor state law and county or city ordinances related to animals.
  • Animals are not required to have special training to be used as an ESA.

An ESA is distinctly different from a Service Animal (for more info. see the Americans with Disabilities Act).

In general, the UD Counseling Center will not be conducting the necessary assessment to verify if a student would benefit from an ESA.
If you are interested in seeking an evaluation for an ESA, we recommend you call your health insurance company for a list of covered mental health professionals who may offer this type of evaluation.

Those interested in seeking an evaluation for the potential use of an ESA will likely be required to demonstrate:

  • You are currently seeking ongoing mental health treatment
  • You have been diagnosed with a DSM-V psychiatric disability
  • This disability substantially limits at least one major life activity
  • There is a clear connection between the psychological symptoms and the use of an ESA to alleviate those symptoms

Counseling Center

Gosiger Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 0910