Skip to main content

Dean of Students

Report a Concern about a Student

Do you know a student in distress?

  • Have you observed something in someone that has you worried?
  • Have you seen a classmate or hall mate begin to act differently?  Strangely?
  • You don’t know who to ask about it or you just want someone to know. 

There are a number of ways to report it, below are few ways:

  1. Reach out to a RA
  2. Call the counseling center at 937-229-3141
  3. *Report a concern using the CARE REPORT
  4. *Send email to Dean of Students to

*Please note this is NOT an emergency reporting system. This information may not be accessed for up to 48 hours.  If your concern for a student is conduct related, please click here to file a student conduct report Student Conduct report
If you have an immediate campus safety issue, please call Public Safety at 937-229-2121.

Report a Student in Distress

Students encounter stress for a variety of reasons. Academics, family problems, social situations, work, and financial concerns are just a few of the sources of stress. While most students cope successfully with the demands of college life, for some the pressures become overwhelming and unmanageable.

The inability to cope effectively with emotional stress can pose a serious threat to a student's overall functioning.  The expression of interest, concern and compassion by a faculty, student or staff member may be critical factors in helping a struggling student reestablish the emotional equilibrium necessary for success at the University of Dayton. The Dean of Student’s Office and other administrators from across the campus stand ready to assist you and any student in need.

Your willingness to respond to students in distress will undoubtedly be influenced by your personal style and your particular beliefs about the limits of responsibility for helping students mature, both emotionally and intellectually. Some students may be more open to assistance than others.  It's important to be realistic about what you can offer when making a decision about how you can help a student.

If there is a student in imminent or immediate danger and you are concerned about their persistent behavior, such as: 

  • Experiencing serious difficulties,
  • Expressing excessive anger or rage,
  • Exhibiting a pattern of disruptive behavior, or
  • Making indirect statements expressing intent to do harm to themselves or others.

Then, complete a CARE Report, which will be submitted to the Dean of Students who will gather more information, contact appropriate individuals, and make a determination about the best approach.

When to Call Public Safety

Call Public Safety at 937-229-2121, if you have an emergency or need immediate help in addressing an emerging situation. A crisis exists whenever a person’s behavior poses imminent danger of:

  • Causing harm to self or others
  • Impeding lawful activities of other members of the campus community
  • Causing property damage
  • Interfering with the health, safety, or well-being of other members of our community
  • Experiencing a health emergency

If you are ever unsure, call Public Safety (937-229-2121) or the Dean of Students office (937-229-1212) to assist you in an appropriate next step.


Dean of Students

Gosiger Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 0965