Institutional Review Board (IRB)
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a standing committee at the University of Dayton established in compliance with federal policy for the protection of human subjects in research. The University of Dayton operates under Federalwide Assurance No. FWA00015321 (expires November 2020).
IRB Mission & Guiding Principles
The IRB ensures that the rights and welfare of research subjects are protected as described in Ethical Principles and Guidelines for the Protection of Human Subjects of Research (“The Belmont Report”). The IRB is governed by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) federal guidelines for protection of human subjects in research found in 45 CFR 46 and referred to as the “Common Rule.” The purpose of the IRB is to ensure that:
- No research activity sponsored or conducted by University of Dayton researchers unduly endangers the safety, comfort, or privacy of human subjects;
- The rights and privacy of subjects are protected during and after the research;
- Participation in research is voluntary and the right to withdraw at any time is provided;
- The researcher and the University are protected from ethical and/or legal liability;
- Research involving human subject(s) is supervised by qualified persons, including qualified clinicians for all study-related healthcare decisions, and by at least one faculty or staff member in the case of student-led research.
- Non-exempt research projects are subject to continuing IRB review.
All research that involves human subjects must be reviewed by and must receive approval from the IRB prior to subject recruitment and data collection. If you are not sure if your research qualifies as “human subjects research”, please contact us at IRB@udayton.edu.
The IRB cannot review research that has already been performed or is being performed.
The University of Dayton IRB Roster (January, 2016):
Member Name - Department
Candise Powell, J.D. (chair) - Office for Research
Joaquin Barrios, D.P.T., Ph.D.(chair, biomedical subcommittee) - Doctor of Physical Therapy Dept.
Anne Crecelius, Ph.D. - Health and Sports Science
Lee Dixon, Ph.D. - Psychology
Susan Davies Ed.D. - Counselor Education & Human Services
Mary I. Fisher Ph.D. - Doctor of Physical Therapy Dept.
Melissa Ginn, B.A., CCRC – Community Member
Allison Kinney, Ph.D. - Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Benjamin Kunz, Ph.D. - Psychology
Grant R. McMillan Ph.D. - Community Member
Charles J. Russo J.D., Ed.D. - Educational Leadership
Danita Nelson (IRB Administrator) - Office for Research
All APPLICATIONS and QUESTIONS should be directed to: Candise Powell, J.D., IRB Chair, IRB@udayton.edu, or (937) 229-3515.