Skip to main content

Background Check Requirements for Adults Involved in Overnight Stays

Background Checks for Adults Involved in Overnight Stays

>> Print a .pdf version of the Background Check information on this page

If you are participating in an overnight stay component of a program or activity involving minors, you are required to undergo a background check before you can serve in that capacity.  You can obtain your background check through UD’s Office of Public Safety which uses a National WebCheck program to run background checks.

When/where is this service available?

Monday through Friday, from 9:00am-4:00pm, in Raymond J. Fitz Hall, Room 195.

What do I need to bring?

1.  A government-issued photo ID.  Note that a UD One Card is not government-issued.

2.  Your Social Security number.  You do not have to bring the card if you know the number.

3.  A consent to Background Check Form available here

4.  Program Information:  It is important for Public Safety to know the reason you need to get background checked, so please inform them you are participating in a program or activity involving minors, and identify the name of that program/activity.  Provide that information in the form available here

5.  Payment:  Check to see if the program is covering the cost.  If not, you will need to pay ahead of time at the Office of Student Accounts located in St. Mary’s Hall, Room 105.  The cost is $31.00 for a BCI&I check, $33.00 for an FBI check and $55.00 for both.  Typically a BCI&I (which stands for the “Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation”) check is sufficient, but please check with the Program Coordinator, as sometimes an FBI check is required instead.  Bring your receipt of payment from the Office of Student Accounts to Public Safety.  NOTE:  Public Safety will not accept direct payment.

What type of information is sought in a background check?

Criminal records are searched in both a BCI&I check and FBI check.

How long does it take to get my results?

Typically results are received within seven days of the time of fingerprinting.  Since results can take a week, you should plan ahead and have your background check conducted in plenty of time before the minors program/event takes place.

Where will the results of my background check go?

Results will ordinarily be sent to the Program Coordinator of the program involving minors for which you are seeking to participate in an overnight stay component.  Public Safety will intercept any results with an adverse finding and send them to the Office of Legal Affairs instead of the Program Coordinator.  Legal Affairs, in turn, will coordinate with the Office of the Provost, the Office of Human Resources or the Division of Student Development, as appropriate, to determine next steps.  Adverse results will not be shared with the person in charge of the minors program.

Participation in a background check is done at your own risk.

You assume the risk and consequences should the results indicate adverse findings.  Depending on what the adverse results indicate, you may not be able to participate in the program with minors.  In addition, you may face adverse action related to your employment duties (if employed by UD) or student status (if a student at UD).  Specifically, a University employee could face adjustments to his/her employment should negative information related to job duties be disclosed.  A student could be subjected to a Code of Conduct proceeding depending on what information is obtained during a background check, particularly if that information is about an incident that occurred when the individual was considered a University student.  Further, any individual who undergoes a background check should be aware that the results may also be shared with the University’s Threat Assessment Team or other departments that tend to security issues, if such a referral is deemed appropriate by the Office of Public Safety and/or the Office of Legal Affairs.

Please understand that background checks always have the potential of uncovering negative information even if the underlying situation happened in another state or happened when you were under the age of 18.


For questions relating to the University policies of Legal Affairs, please contact:

Office of Legal Affairs