Skip to main content

Voluntary Medical Withdrawal

Withdrawal Options

  1. You may choose to withdraw from classes as part of the regular withdraw process by completing the Add/Drop Form and securing the appropriate signatures by the deadlines.  See the academic calendar for the deadlines and work with the Office of the Registrar and the Dean’s Office to complete a regular withdrawal.
  2. You may apply for a Voluntary Medical Withdrawal (VMW) if you cannot finish academic requirements during a term due to physical and/or mental health reasons. In keeping with the Marianist spirit of compassion and collaboration, every effort will be made to assist you and your family through this difficult time. However, making a request for medical withdrawal does not guarantee an approval.
  • In most cases, a medical withdrawal will withdraw you from all courses in which you are registered.
  • The Voluntary Medical withdrawal process does not dismiss or waive your legal, disciplinary, housing, meal plan, or other responsibilities to the university.  
  • A medical withdrawal does not dismiss any charges and/or constitute a refund of payments. 

If you are considering a voluntary medical withdrawal, please talk with your Assistant Dean to make sure you are aware of all of your options before making a final decision:

  • College of Arts & Sciences: 937-229-2611; O’Reilly Hall
  • School of Education & Health Sciences: 937-229-3102; Raymond L. Fitz Hall, Room 618M
  • School of Business: 937-229-2065; Miriam Hall, Room 230
  • School of Engineering: 937-229-2736; Kettering Laboratories, Room 564
  • International students are encouraged to also work with the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office to address any immigration concerns. ISSS is located in Rike Center, Room 204 and can be reached via telephone at 937-229-2748.

For more information about VMW, click on the headings here

To request a voluntary medical withdrawal, follow these steps:

  1. Submit the Voluntary Medical Withdrawal form online.
  2. Call the Office of Learning Resources at 937-229-2066 to schedule an appointment. This appointment may be conducted over the phone, but you, the student, must be included (unless there are extenuating circumstances that prevent participation).
    • During this meeting, the request for medical withdrawal, supporting documentation, and any additional options will be discussed. 
  3. Provide documentation as described in Necessary Documentation.
  • OLR professional staff will review all information in consultation with the academic Dean's Office for the school in which the student is enrolled. Other campus units (e.g. University Health Center, University Counseling Center, and Dean of Students Office) may also be consulted to aid in this decision making process.
  • Once all information has been reviewed, OLR will approve or deny the request. You will receive this information in writing.

As part of the Voluntary Medical Withdrawal process, you will need to provide documentation to support your request. The cost of obtaining documentation from your provider is your responsibility. You may submit documentation in one of the following ways:

  1. The Medical Withdrawal Documentation form, completed by you and your provider OR
  2. Written verification from your provider stating the following:
  • Date of onset of the illness or condition
  • Dates you were under the provider's care
  • General description of your illness/condition and treatment
  • Why or how this has prevented or will prevent you from completing academic work and/or from functioning effectively in the University’s living community
  • A statement regarding your status: partial medical withdrawal (enrolled in 6-8 credits for undergraduates, 3 credits for graduates) or full medical withdrawal (cannot take any classes).

Note: If you are seeking a partial medical withdrawal, please work with Student Accounts/Financial Aid and Housing and Residence Life to ensure you understand the impact of this decision

If your medical withdrawal is approved, the Dean's Office and the Office of Learning Resources will work with you and your family to implement it and, as appropriate, the re-enrollment process.

  • Once the approval has been issued, OLR will issue official notification of the withdrawal date to individual offices, which may include, but are not limited to, Registrar's Office, Office of Student Accounts, Housing & Residence Life, Dining Services, and International Student Support Services. These offices will process the medical withdrawal and communicate any additional information directly to you. 
  • Your academic Dean's Office will place a Dean's Hold on the your account in order to ensure any return requirements are met prior to re-registration at University of Dayton. 
  • All medical records will be maintained by the Office of Learning Resources based on Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). If you would like the Office of Learning Resources to provide information to other entities outside the University, complete this Release Authorization form. Once completed, please return the form to the Office of Learning Resources:
  1. Fax: 937-229-3270
  2. Email:
  3. Regular Mail: 300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469-1302
  4. In Person: Lower Level of Roesch Library, Room 023

In order to ensure a smooth departure and return, you should notify and settle all outstanding accounts with the Office of Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Housing, and Dining Services. If there is a disciplinary case involved, you should notify the Office of Community Standards and Civility (Gosiger Hall, Room 227, Phone 937-229-4627, of your intent to obtain a medical withdrawal and determine a timeline for resolution of the case.

If your request for Medical Withdrawal or re-enrollment after a medical withdrawal is denied, and you disagree with the decision, you can file an appeal to the Office of Learning Resources in one of the following ways:

  1. Fax: 937-229-3270
  2. Email:
  3. Regular Mail: 300 College Park, Dayton, OH 45469-1302
  4. Hand-delivered: Lower Level of Roesch Library, Room 023
  • If the your appeal is denied, you may submit a second appeal to the Medical Withdrawal/Re-enrollment Appeal Committee, which will consist of the Dean of Students, the Director of the Counseling Center, and the Director of the Office of Student Accounts.
  • A representative from OLR shall be available to provide the rationale in support of the first appeal decision, and designated representatives from other units will be consulted as needed.
  • To file a second appeal, submit it using the same steps as the first appeal.

To return from a medical withdrawal follow this process:

 1. Notify the University of  your intent to return in one of the following ways:

2. Provide supporting documentation in one of the following ways:

  • The Medical Withdrawal Return Documentation form (preferred) completed by you and your provider OR
  • Similar documentation stating the following: 1) In which academic term you intend to return 2) Changes in your circumstances that make you ready to return 3) Any supports you anticipate needing at the University upon your return.

NOTE: If it was stipulated at the time of your withdrawal, you will also need to submit a letter from a qualified health care provider indicating that you are ready to return to the residential academic environment at the University of Dayton.  

  1. Following your notification of intent to return, OLR will review the initial medical withdrawal documentation and any re-enrollment conditions. 
  2. OLR will make a determination whether to approve or deny your request to return and will notify you in writing.
  3. This decision will be shared with the appropriate academic Dean's Office. The academic Dean's Office will communicate with you directly about steps for registration and, if applicable, remove any registration hold on your account. 
  • If you intend to return to campus housing and need assistance navigating the housing assignment process or wish to review your options, please contact the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 937-229-3317 or
  • If you have any outstanding issues associated with the Office of Financial Aid, Registration, Housing, or Dining Services, contact those departments directly.
  • Any outstanding conduct cases must be resolved through the Office of Community Standards & Civility before or upon your return.
  • If you will have on-going support needs after your return, contact the Counseling Center, the Health Center, and/or OLR to discuss your needs and create a plan. If you have a need for academic, housing, parking, dietary, or other accommodations, contact the OLR.


Office of Learning Resources

Roesch Library
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1302