Skip to main content

Guidelines for Approved Animals

  • The only exceptions to the University's No Pet policy are service animals, service animals in-training, and emotional support animals.
  • Registration of a service animal is not required, but having a conversation with OLR Disability Staff may generate additional accommodation options.
  • To be considered for an emotional support animal, you must complete the Accommodations Request Process.
  • Service animal-in-training is coordinated through 4Paws for Ability and their University Puppy Raiser Program.  

Remember that emotional support animals are not permitted in University buildings or general public areas other than your personal residence.

  • All handlers must adhere to the following guidelines.
  • The Owner of any dog or cat approved to be brought to campus must have a valid license as evidence of current rabies vaccinations or the animal may be subject to removal from campus.
  • In all cases, the Owner of the animal is responsible for the animal’s behavior.
  • With the exception of Service Animals, animals are not permitted in University buildings. Except as otherwise provided in the Animals on Campus Policy, animals may not enter any: (a) University building, including but not limited to all residential and non-residential buildings; (b) enclosed or delineated indoor or outdoor athletic or recreational facility; or (c) officially reserved or scheduled outdoor event space on campus.
  • As provided in Animals on Campus Policy, animals not prohibited from entry include: (a) Service Animals or Service Animals in Training accompanying a person with a disability or an authorized Service Animal trainer; (b) Therapy Animals in the therapeutic setting accompanied by the appropriate Owner; (c) Support Animals in the Owner's University housing assignment; and (d) animals not included under this Policy.

  • Fecal matter deposited on University grounds, in a University building, or other facility by any animal brought to campus must be removed immediately and disposed of properly by the owner/handler. The owner/handler must arrange for the removal of fecal matter if he or she is personally unable to perform the task. Failure to clean up after your animal may result in the removal of the animal from campus.
  • You must maintain good hygiene of your service animal and take preventative measures for flea and odor control. Failure to maintain your animal's hygiene may result in the removal of the animal from campus.
  • You can choose to have your animal wear some type of commonly recognized symbol that identifies  the animal as a service animal, but that does not disclose your disability. This is not required.

  • Any animal that enters campus must be, at all times, under the complete control of the owner (e.g., leash no longer than six feet, in a crate, or other form of corresponding control).  Exceptions are made for Service animals who need to be off leash to perform the work or task (See 28 C.F.R. Section 35.136(d))
  • An animal, if not properly controlled, may create the risk of hazards that may pose a threat to campus operations.
  • Animals must not be tethered to a stationary fixture or tree, or left unattended on campus, and any animals found to be tethered, unattended, or abandoned may be removed from campus. Animals that are tethered, unattended, or abandoned on campus should be reported to Public Safety (937-229-2121).
  • Animals may not be left unattended overnight in University residences. An Owner must establish a means of securing the animal, if in a University residence, when University employees, contractors, or agents work on a University building (i.e., placing the animal in a crate or in another room).
  • To the extent possible, the animal should be as unobtrusive to other students and the learning environment as possible.
  • Your animal’s behavior is considered your behavior and the animal will be held to the same standard of behavior the University expects of you. 
  • If your animal is disruptive to University business or does not meet the community's behavioral expectations for educational, medical, and residential environments, you may be asked to correct the animal’s behavior or remove it from the environment.  While in public, your animal should be on a leash, unless providing a needed service to you.
  • If an animal poses a threat to people, property, or the operations of campus, the owner will be required to remove the animal from campus, and the owner is expected to comply with any such removal request.
  • Although the campus may exclude any service animal that is out of control, it will not exclude the individual with a disability. A corrective action plan may be developed to allow the animal to return to campus e.g. muzzling a barking animal, refresher training for the animal and the student, etc.

Your service animal should not:

  • Sniff people, restaurant tables, or the personal belongings of others.
  • Display any behaviors or noises that are disruptive to others unless necessary as part of the service being provided the student.
  • Engage in personal grooming in public settings.
  • Block an aisle or passageway for fire egress.

The general public should avoid:

  • Restricting the service animal or person with a disability.
  • Asking for details about the person’s disability(ies).
  • Petting a service animal as it may distract them from the task at hand.
  • Feeding the service animal.
  • Deliberately startling a service animal.
  • Separating or attempting to separate a student from his/her service animal.
  • Hesitating to ask a student if she/he would like assistance if there seems to be confusion.
  • If you have a disability that may be affected by the presence of animals, please contact the Office of Learning Resources or Human Resources.   
  • Report any service animals who misbehave or any owners (or other individuals) who mistreat their service animals to Public Safety and Office of Learning Resources.

  • There are certain situations where it may be considered unsafe for service animals. This may include medical facilities, laboratories, mechanical rooms or any other place where the safety of the animal or student may be threatened.
  • When it is determined unsafe for the student and service animal to be in one of these areas, reasonable accommodations will be provided to assure the student equal access to the activity.
  • The decision regarding safety of the service animal and student will be determined through consultation with the student, Office of Learning Resources Disability staff and may include faculty from the designated program.

  • Any emergency response efforts should make every effort to keep you and your service animal together; however, the priority should be to ensure your safety, which may necessitate leaving the animal behind in certain emergency evacuation situations.
  • You are encouraged to develop an emergency evacuation plan for you and your service animal.

  • The University, at its sole discretion, retains the right to take action to remove any animal from campus if the University determines the health or safety of others, destruction of property, or disturbance to University operations warrants such removal.
  • The removal of any animal and any necessary cleaning, repairs, and/or pest control will be done at the expense of the owner.
  • The owner may also be subject to disciplinary action.
  • This action may also extend to cases involving service and support animals.
  • Animals on campus whose condition, health, or behavior appears to present a threat to the health or safety of any member of the campus community to any other animal, or the animal itself, should be reported to Public Safety (937-229-2121).
  • The University may take reasonable efforts to remove a confined animal if the safety of the animal is jeopardized. The University is not liable for any associated cost or damage associated with such removal.

The Office of Learning Resources discourages paying individuals found on websites for certificates or template letters. As per guidance document by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):

"Some websites sell certificates, registrations, and licensing documents for assistance animals to anyone who answers certain questions or participates in a short interview and pays a fee. **In HUD's experience, such documentation from the internet is not, by itself, sufficient to reliably establish that an individual has a non-observable disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal."


Disability Services

Roesch Library
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1302
Fax: 937.229.3270