Skip to main content

Service and Emotional Support Animals

The University of Dayton's Office of Housing and Residence Life has a No Pet Policy, but there are two types of accommodations that would allow you to have an animal on campus and/or in your campus residence: 1) Service Animal and 2) Emotional Support Animal (ESA).

Accommodations are required for Emotional Support Animals and can be initiated by addressing Accommodation Request Process. We encourage students to register their service animal with OLR to aid in any questions the campus community may have about the animal.  

The Office of Learning Resources discourages paying individuals found on websites for certificates or template letters. As per guidance document by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD):

"Some websites sell certificates, registrations, and licensing documents for assistance animals to anyone who answers certain questions or participates in a short interview and pays a fee. **In HUD's experience, such documentation from the internet is not, by itself, sufficient to reliably establish that an individual has a non-observable disability or disability-related need for an assistance animal."


Disability Services

Roesch Library
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1302
Fax: 937.229.3270