Skip to main content

Types of Accommodations

The LTC’s Office of Learning Resources (OLR) is the resource for UD students with permanent or temporary disabilities and medical conditions to receive academictestinghousing, dietary, or parking accommodations. This includes accommodations for service animals and emotional support animals.

1)   You must complete the Accommodations Request Process to receive any accommodations. Accommodations will be determined based on your individual circumstances.

2)   The information on this page describes different types of accommodations but is not all-inclusive. Your individual accommodations will be determined based on what is appropriate for your circumstances. Click on an accommodation type to see more information.

Accommodation Types

Academic accommodations may include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Alternative Testing
  • Access to Instructional Material Used in Class
  • Tape Recording of Classes
  • Note taking Support
  • Assistive software, or other technology
  • Ability to take breaks as needed
  • Alternative formats for classroom materials and textbooks
  • Change of classroom to an accessible location
  • Copies of materials electronically displayed in class (not instructor’s private notes)
  • Faculty facing the class when speaking and/or wearing an assisted listening device
  • Permission to audio record lectures (student must provide their own device)
  • Preferential seating in the classroom
  • Use of sign language interpreters/C-Printers or similar transcription service
  • Course Substitution/Waiver

The Office of Learning Resources operates a Testing Center,* where accommodations may include any of the following if you have completed the Accommodations Request Process and been approved:

  • Provision to take breaks
  • Distraction-reduced environment
  • Extended time
  • Use of assistive technology for accessing and completing exams
  • Scribes

If you are approved for testing accommodations, you may use your accommodations for quizzes, tests, midterms, and final exams. You will need to schedule all exams online andin advance by following the Alternative Testing Guidelines.

*OLR proctors and administers exams ONLY for UD students approved for testing accommodations through OLR.

Thanks to Ryan's Dream, the OLR has assistive technology resources for studying, testing, and other academic needs. Additionally, the OLR has advanced assistive technologies for hearing, physical, speech, and vision-related disabilities. To receive any technology or equipment accommodations, you must complete the Accommodations Request Process. 

Accommodations may include:

If approved for software and certain technology accommodations, you will meet with the Disability Services Technical Support Specialist. During that meeting, the Specialist will install any prescribed software and will provide training on any technological equipment.

Technology Resources

To receive a course substitution, you must complete the Accommodations Request Process and be approved based on your disability. You must complete all academic and internship requirements for the degree(s) you are pursuing, but is some cases, your disability may warrant substitution of a class or series of classes. Note that a course requirement is not waived, it is substituted by another course of equal academic rigor that meets the academic standards of the department in which the substitution was requested.

In some instances, however, a course substitution would NOT be considered an appropriate accommodation. These include:

  • The class is an integral part of the program, major, or minor; substitution would jeopardize the integrity of the particular program.
  • The substitution could not fulfill the competency required for a particular degree.
  • Your supporting documentation of your disability does not support the need for such accommodation.

If you are approved for the accommodation of a course substitution, a recommendation will be sent to your Dean's Office. You must work with your Academic Dean, Department Chair, or Academic Advisor to finalize decisions regarding whether or not the substitution requested is essential to the program. If a you cannot meet the essential requirements of your specific program despite other appropriate accommodations, you may be considered unqualified to pursue that particular course of study. If that happens, academic, career, and personal counseling resources are available at UD to assist you with pursuing another course of study.

The deadline for applying for disability housing and dietary accommodations for the upcoming academic year is January 15 for returning students and May 15 for new students. You must complete the Initial Accommodation Request form by these dates. Late requests will be reviewed in the order in which they are received and will be limited by housing availability

Examples of Housing accommodations may include the following:

  • Accessible features in living environment
  • Limited number of roommates
  • Attendant Care
  • Close proximity to campus
  • Dietary supports related to eating disorders, chronic illness, or food allergies
  • Service & Support Animals
  • Technology for emergency notifications i.e. strobe light for fire alarm
  • All housing accommodation decisions are made with respect to medical necessity, regardless of your personal preferences. A recommendation from a diagnostician alone does not guarantee a housing accommodation. Determinations are made by the Housing Committee, which includes representatives from Disability Services, the Office of Housing and Residence Life, the Health Center, and other consultants as necessary.

To receive a parking/transportation accommodation, you must complete the Accommodations Request Process and be approved. If approved for parking, the Office of Learning Resources will make a recommendation to Parking Services. Possible parking/transportation accommodations include the following:

  • An exception to the University's published parking policies, such as granting a campus parking permit to a first-year student.
  • A UD Handicap parking permit (to receive one, you must also provide proof of a current state-issued handicap permit). 
  • A Medical Escort
  • Campus Shuttle (available without approved accommodation)

The University of Dayton's Office of Housing and Residence Life has a No Pet Policy, but there are two types of accommodations that would allow you to have an animal on campus and/or in your campus residence: 1) Service Animal and 2) Emotional Support Animal (ESA). Accommodations for either type of animal require you to complete the Accommodation Request Process* and be approved.

  • Service animals are allowed to accompany you in all areas where you are normally allowed to go. According to the The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations, a service animal is “any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability….”  and “… emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks.” 
  • Emotional Support Animals - An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is not considered a service animal and is subject to additional restrictions. An ESA provides therapeutic contact to improve physical, social, emotional, and/or cognitive functioning to a person. An approved ESA is allowed in your residence (in your room or the common spaces within the residence) and must remain under your control at all times. Emotional support animals approved for the residential setting are not permitted in any other building at UD.  If approved for a support animal, you must sign this Housing Contract Addendum.

*Documentation Requirements

Formal documentation from your provider must include the following information:

Service Animal

  1. Your formal diagnosis based on DSM-IV or ICD-10 guidelines, with associated codes.
  2. A description of the work or tasks the animal is trained to perform and how this relates to the disability.

Emotional Support Animal (ESA)

Your provider may complete this ESA Release form or provide other formal documentation that includes the following:

  1. Your formal diagnosis based on DSM-IV or ICD-10 guidelines, with associated codes.
  2. A description of your professional relationship with that provider.
  3. A description of the provider's experience specific to Human-Animal Interactions in Counseling.
  4. How the animal helps alleviate the impact of the condition.
  5. The length of the relationship between you and the animal as it relates to alleviating your symptoms.
  6. Any potential negative impacts on you if you were not to have the animal.
  7. If/how the care responsibilities of the animal might represent challenges. 

Additional Information


Disability Services

Roesch Library
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1302
Fax: 937.229.3270