See UD's plans for teaching, learning and research this fall with measures to promote safety and lessen the risk of COVID-19 spread. See UD case dashboard here.

Skip to main content

Transfer Admission FAQ

Transfer Admission Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the questions most often asked by students planning to transfer to UD. More in-depth information on each of these topics is available throughout the UD website. Please use the UD search tool at the top of the page if you would like to explore. We're also happy to answer questions or provide more information—please contact us for assistance.

Transfer Credit

In order for your credit to transfer, your credit must meet the following transfer policies: 
  • You have earned a C- or better in a college-level course. 
  • Your current/previous institution(s) is regionally accredited* or an international institution that is formally recognized by its country’s ministry of education or its equivalent. 
  • You have prior learning that was part of your military training, experience and coursework, or nationally recognized credit-by-examinations like AP, CLEP and IB. 
  • Any developmental or remedial courses that UD deems as non-college level will not transfer. Any college-level courses that you completed more than 10 years prior to enrollment at UD will not transfer. 

Please note that transferable credit does not necessarily mean it is "applicable" toward your program requirements. Some credits may transfer in as general electives that could count toward meeting the graduation credit hour requirement.

Once you are admitted and have made your enrollment deposit, you will meet with your academic adviser to discuss your transfer credit and remaining coursework, as well as to register for classes.

To learn more about whether your credit will transfer, request our preliminary credit evaluation service. Submit your request at and include your unofficial transcript from all of the institutions you attended and/or any documents pertaining to any prior learning that you completed that meets the above policies, as well as your name, address, phone number, email, intended major and college or colleges you are transferring from. This service takes approximately one week. 
*The following are regional and national accrediting agencies in the United States: 

  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) (doing business as Mid-Atlantic Region Commission on Higher Education) 
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE) 
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC) 
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) 
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges
  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges (ACCJC-WASC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges, Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)

A course grade of C- or higher is needed. If your current or previous institution does not have a +/- system, a course grade of C or higher is needed.

We currently have a close partnership program with Sinclair College only. If you are interested in learning more about how your credits transfer, please consult with or with your academic adviser.

Our credit evaluation will determine if your Ohio Transfer Module course credits will transfer to UD. The evaluation is based on the equivalencies and applicability of courses from the Ohio Transfer Module at your current or previous institution.


Some degree programs, like Bachelor of Arts degree majors and chemistry majors, have a second language proficiency requirement, which means you must demonstrate proficiency in a language other than English. If you are interested in studying abroad, you will also need to demonstrate your language proficiency. If you have completed foreign language courses at a previous institution, an official review of your transcripts will allow us to determine if additional coursework is needed, and you may be required to demonstrate your foreign language proficiency through an online test. American Sign Language does not satisfy the foreign language requirement.

UD's general education program is called the Common Academic Program (CAP). The Common Academic Program (CAP) is an innovative curriculum that is the foundation of a UD education. It is a learning experience that is shared in common among all undergraduate students, regardless of their major. The CAP’s distinctive structure is built on the notion that, while students will have unique experiences at UD, all academic programs and learning encounters are informed by the seven institutional learning goals articulated in the Habits of Inquiry and Reflection (HIR): 

Faith traditions 
Practical wisdom 
Critical evaluation of our times 

We live in a global society that is constantly changing. As tomorrow's leaders, UD students must understand its complexities and how to respond thoughtfully to its challenges and opportunities. 

CAP introduces key questions and topics across a wide range of academic disciplines. Students will learn to value and synthesize diverse points of view and to examine issues critically, yet with an open mind. 

For more information on eligibility requirements and benefits of the program, please contact the Honors Program.

Your major at UD may accept your military training, experience and coursework if the department deems relevancy and equivalent rigor in your work to our potential equivalent course. We encourage you to share your Joint Services Transcript (JST) and DD-214 with your academic adviser at UD.

Yes. The AP program recognizes college-level work completed in high school. To receive credit and advanced placement for this program, have your test scores sent to the University of Dayton (College Board code: 1834).  

Visit our credit-by-exam page for more information about credit equivalencies. 

Through the Discover programs (Discover Arts, Discover Business, Discover Engineering, Discover Engineering Technology, Discover Sciences, and Discover Teacher Education) you can explore different majors while staying on track to graduate in four years. The programs are flexible, allowing you to explore areas of interest while taking Common Academic Program courses that are required for all degrees. Students transition from the Discover programs into majors in the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Business, School of Engineering, or School of Education and Health Sciences.

Yes — we offer options to double major, pursue minors and get a head start on graduate school through our bachelor’s plus master’s programs. Students cannot declare a double major until they have arrived on campus and met with their academic adviser. Until then, contact if you have questions. 

Yes  through our Office of Learning Resources, you can find information about learning and studying resources, like academic coaching and tutoring, as well as resources for students with disabilities. Learn more at the Office of Learning Resources website.

You may also contact the Office of Learning Resources at or 937-229-2066 to learn more about how to transfer disability services documents. 

Admission Process

Yes, students who previously applied to UD as either a first-year student or a transfer student will need to reapply for admission. Simply log in to your Admission Account to create a new application.

If you previously attended UD and are interested in returning, please complete the Intent to Return form. 

Official college transcripts are needed from all previously attended institutions to be reviewed for admission.

Yes, official transcripts are needed from all institutions that you have previously or are currently attending.

Contact us at

Actively seek information about your intended degree program, experiential learning opportunities, transfer policy and the admission process

Request a preliminary credit evaluation from UD so that you will know in advance which courses will transfer and what you should be taking at your current institution to satisfy your UD requirements if you are applying for a future term. 

Be familiar with the transfer credit evaluation appeals process for your academic program. 

Understand the policies that may affect the transition to UD: 

  • The grade-point average earned at your current or previous institution does not transfer to UD, but may be used to determine your eligibility for admission; 
  • Failing a course at your current or previous institution and subsequently passing its equivalent at another institution (e.g., in the summer or online) does not mean that the grade earned for the equivalent course will replace the failed grade earned at your current or previous institution. 
  • Having earned college credit from a credit-by-examination (AP, CLEP, IB, etc.) from your current or previous institution does not mean that your score is eligible for credit based on UD’s policy.

Know that remedial and developmental credits or courses will not transfer and do not apply toward any degree program. 

Know that delays in developing and following an appropriate transfer plan or changing the plan (e.g., changing your major or withdrawing from courses) will likely reduce the number of transfer credits that apply to the major or degree program ultimately selected and/or extend the length of time to complete the degree.

Understand requirements and processes for transfer admission, course transferfinancial aid, scholarships, and housing policies and procedures

Inform the registrar, bursar and financial aid office at your current or previous institution of your departure.

Financial Aid

Yes. Scholarship opportunities for transfer students include our $10,000 scholarship for full-time students, Academic Excellence Awards based on GPA, Phi Theta Kappa scholarship, and School of Education and Health Sciences Scholarship. For more information, visit our transfer admission financial aid page.

Yes, a $3,000 per year scholarship is awarded to members of Phi Theta Kappa. Proof of membership is required to receive this award. 

Full-time students who attend an official campus visit experience and the file the FAFSA are eligible for the textbook scholarship at UD for up to $3,000 ($500 per semester).

Transfer scholarships are renewable for up to three years, provided you maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, are registered full-time and are a responsible member of the University community. 

Transfer scholarships are renewable for up to three years, provided you maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA, are registered full-time and are a responsible member of the University community.

Yes. We’ve listed a number of opportunities on our external scholarships page. Your UD aid will not be affected by any outside scholarships you earn, unless you earn more than the cost of attendance.

Programs & Services

Yes. Commuters on Campus is a student-run organization specifically geared toward welcoming commuter students into the UD community. There is also the commuter lounge, where students can rent a locker, relax with friends and study.