- School of Law Home
- Explore Dayton Law
- Academics & Programs
- Current Students
- Career Services
- Zimmerman Law Library
- Hours & Calendars
- Student Services and Study Aids
- Study Rooms
- Past Exams
- Staff: Law Library
- Faculty and Staff
- Share Your News
- Contact Us by Office
Lexis and Westlaw
UDSL students and faculty: Lexis and Westlaw can be accessed by UDSL students and faculty. Passwords are needed to take advantage of the systems' capabilities. Lexis and Westlaw can be accessed by UDSL students and faculty 24 hours a day from the Computer Training Center, computers in the Zimmerman Law Library and from home.
Those without passwords: The library subscribes to LexisNexis Academic and LexisNexis Congressional. The latter can be accessed from within the library or from home. Home users must have an ID card from a college or university that is a member of OhioLINK. Users will be able to search for news, case law, business information, and the full text of U.S. Congressional bills, laws, and legislative histories using these two services.
- Lexis Advance (Password Required)
- LexisNexis for Law Schools
- Westlaw (Password Required)
- LexisNexis Academic (ID number required for home users)
- LexisNexis Congressional (ID number required for home users)
- Lexis Nexis Digital Library (UDSL students & faculty)
Major Legal Databases
The law library provides access to OhioLINK and a number of other databases. Some will require a password and others can only be accessed when connecting from a UD server (UD Only). Students and faculty can obtain passwords from a reference staff member, or they may have already been given to you. UDSL students and faculty can also gain access to most OhioLINK databases when using their own Internet provider.
- Bloomberg BNA: (UD Only):
- Bureau of National Affairs (BNA) provides legal content and publishes daily, weekly and monthly updates on a variety of topics including: antitrust, banking, bankruptcy, corporate, criminal law, employee benefits, employment and labor, environment and safety, ethics, family law, health law, homeland security, intellectual property, international, international tax, litigation, product liability, securities and corporate responsibility, tax, trade and commerce. University of Dayton users may register to receive email updates.
- Bloomberg Law: (UD Only; password required):
- Provides comprehensive access to up-to-date legal content as well as daily business news and market information. Includes legal citator, cases, statutes, news, commentary and analysis, docket searching and transactional information. Available to University of Dayton Law students, faculty and staff via individual password.
- CALI Lessons: Center for Computer-Assisted Legal Instruction; more than 270 interactive lessons and tutorials. Registration required; contact library staff.
- Please Note: CALI has banned all accounts affiliated with Hotmail email addresses. Users with such accounts can email CALI with an alternative email address or create a new account. Creating a new account will cause a user to lose all access to previous lesson information. For more information, read the notice from CALI.
- Electronic Journal Center: Full text articles dealing with politics, political science and law (via OhioLink)
- Hein Online: (UD Only):
- Online searchable, legal research collection includes Law Journal Library of U.S. and foreign titles providing comprehensive coverage, Congressional Record bound volumes, U.S. Reports, state statutes and session laws, legal classics, world famous trials, the United Nations and League of Nations Treaty Series, U.S. Treaties, the Federal Register, Code of Federal Regulations and various, specialized collections.
- Making of Modern Law
- The Making of Modern Law: Foreign, Comparative, and International Law, c. 1600-1926
- The Making of Modern Law: Legal Treatises 1800-1926
- The Making of Modern Law databases require no password when accessing the databases on campus via a computer with University of Dayton network connection. Students, faculty and staff can access the databases while off campus with a password; for password information, contact a Zimmerman Law Library Reference Librarian.
- National Consumer Law Center
- Verdict Search (contact a Zimmerman Law Library Reference Librarian for access)
- Directories and Associations
- Federal Materials
- The Indigo Book - an Open and Compatible Implementation of a Uniform System of Citation
- International Law
- Legal Subject Areas
- Ohio Resources
- Search Mechanisms
- State Information
- Case Finding Procedures
- Education Law
- Finding Case Law Without a Computer
- Federal Law
- Federal Regulations
- Immigration Law Resources
- Ohio Case Law
- Ohio Case Law and Court Rules Online
- Ohio Resources
- Sports Law: Safety and Liability