Skip to main content

Financial Aid Available to LL.M. and M.S.L. Students

Office of Admissions and Financial Aid

LL.M. students outside Keller HallThe University of Dayton School of Law Office of Admissions and Financial Aid works to administer and coordinate all forms of financial assistance in accordance with the regulations established by each program.


The School of Law offers a limited number of partial tuition scholarships that are awarded to LL.M. and M.S.L. students based on a combination of merit, need, and personal accomplishments. Outside educational scholarships from governmental sources or private organizations may also be available to those who qualify. These outside scholarships and grants are highly competitive and often have early application deadlines. Examples include awards by international, national, state or county bar associations and various local, regional, and national philanthropic organizations. Some foreign governments also offer their citizens scholarships and grants for advanced legal studies. Information on outside scholarships is available at

If you have been offered a scholarship to attend either of Dayton Law's graduate legal programs, contact the School of Law’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Educational Loans

Educational loans are often available to law students whose personal resources are insufficient to cover the expense of a legal education. In addition to using these funds to cover tuition costs, you may elect to borrow additional funds to help cover your living expenses during the academic year. Federal educational loans and other, non-scholarship forms of financial aid are awarded by the University of Dayton School of Law Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. For students considering loans, we suggest that you first take advantage of the student loans available under the Federal Direct Loan Program. These federal loans are only available to students who are U.S. citizens and to certain eligible non-citizens. These loans offer discounted interest rates during periods of enrollment, as well as flexible repayment programs after you graduate.

Federal Direct loans, up to a yearly maximum of $20,500, are available to students who complete the FAFSA. Federal Graduate PLUS loans or private student loans are also available to meet the remaining cost of attendance, provided you meet credit requirements. Graduate PLUS loans allow you to defer repayment until after you graduate or drop below half-time enrollment status, and they also offer an interest-only payment option while you are enrolled if you wish to keep your loan balance from growing while in school.

For more information, see Federal Direct, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans and Alternative Loan Opportunities

International Graduate Law Student Required Financial Declarations

The University of Dayton and the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) require that students who meet the academic requirements for admission and plan to enter the U.S. on F-1 (student) or J-1 (scholar/exchange visitor) visas provide proof of financial support before immigration documents (I-20 or IAP66) can be issued. Applicants must submit proof of the financial ability to cover tuition, fees and living expenses for the duration of your studies at the University of Dayton School of Law. If your spouse and/or child/children will accompany you to the United States, sufficient additional funds must be demonstrated.

While financial documents are not required to reach an admission decision, submitting them at the time of application expedites the visa process once an admission decision is reached.

All sources of support that you submit must be:

  • Originals, not photocopies
  • Shown in U.S. dollars
  • For University of Dayton School of Law specifically and no other college or university
  • No more than six months old
  • Written in English

Please note that different types of documentation may be required for different types of funding plans.

If you will be funded by your parents or a relative, please submit:

1. A legalized letter of sponsorship which indicates that your sponsor is willing and able to support you financially for your academic fees and living expenses throughout the duration of your studies at the University of Dayton School of Law, and

2. A bank statement or credit reference from a bank stating the availability of the minimum estimated expenses. This document should be in English, and the sum should be indicated in U.S. dollars.

If you will be funded by your government, an organization, a company, etc., the sponsor must submit an official letter of sponsorship stating:

1. That your funding is valid for the University of Dayton School of Law specifically.

2. What expenses will be covered.  For example: academic fees, living expenses (how much), health insurance, financial support for family members, travel costs, etc.

3. The length of time of the support. 

  • If you will be funded by a bank loan, you must submit an official letter of certification from the lending institution.
  • If you will be funded by a salary or study-leave allowance, you must submit an official letter from your employer validating this information.
  • If you will be funded in a manner not listed above (for example, if you will fund yourself), you must submit official documentation (a bank statement or a credit reference from a bank clearly stating the amount of financial support to be provided and the length of time for which it will be available.

School of Law

Keller Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 2760