- Academics & Programs
- Apply For Free
- J.D. Program
- LL.M. & M.S.L. Programs
- Joint Degree Programs
- Leadership Honors Program
- Program in Law & Technology (PILT)
- Law Review
- Mock Trial Team
- Moot Court
- Pro Bono Service
- Bar Passage Program
- Academic Success Program
- Learning Communities and Dean's Fellows
- Learning and Performance
- Technology Competencies Credential
- Technology Law School Initiative
Dayton Law is empowering the leaders of tomorrow.
America’s lawyers have always been society’s leaders, advocating for social, political, and economic change in communities, courts, and political institutions. We support this proud tradition of accomplishment with our investment in the next generation of lawyer-leaders: a Full Tuition Scholarship for students in our Leadership Honors Program.
Graduates of the Leadership Honors Program earn a Leadership Honors Program certificate in addition to the Juris Doctorate. Students in the Program undertake the full J.D. curriculum with other members of their graduating class and participate in a specially-designed Graduated Leadership Sequence.
- In the first year, students engage with national and international experts in law, governance and business in the Honors Roundtable Series, chaired in 2016-17 by former Ohio Governor Bob Taft.
- In the second year, students participate in a Leadership for Lawyers seminar at the University of Dayton's prestigious Center for Leadership.
- Finally, in the next-to-last semester, students create their Leadership Legacy by working together on a project to help transform a community institution. Students can complete the entire course of study in two years (for our Summer Start students), two-and-a-half, or three years (for our Fall Start students).
Students must stay in the top 30% of their class to remain in the Leadership Honors Program and must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.7 to maintain their Full Tuition Scholarship.
Inaugural Roundtable Series Speaker
Our Nomination System
Students must be nominated—and cannot apply directly—to participate in the Leadership Honors Program. The minimum qualifications for consideration for the Leadership Honors Program are a 3.15 undergraduate GPA, a score of 152 on the Law School Admissions Test, and demonstrated leadership potential.
- Designated Alumni Nominators drawn from our distinguished alumni;
- Representatives from undergraduate institutions selected to be Designated Nominator Schools;
- Dean-designated Nominators; or the
- University of Dayton School of Law Nomination Committee.
Interested students who do not have a designated nominator should contact the University of Dayton School of Law's Office of Admissions at email@example.com or 937-229-3555 for help in identifying one.
Students who are nominated for the Leadership Honors Program must also apply for admission to the School of Law. Please note that a prospective applicant may gain admission into the School of Law without being accepted into the Leadership Honors Program.
Graduated Leadership Sequence
2-year J.D. program - Summer starters
S = Semester
|S1 - Summer||Selected LHP Activities|
|S2 - Fall
S3 - Spring
|Honors Roundtable Series
Small group sessions where Leadership Honors Students engage with Roundtable Presenters and prominent members of the bench and bar.
|S4 - Fall||Leadership for Lawyers Seminars
A custom-designed series offered only to our Leadership Honors Students by the University of Dayton's Center for Leadership.Leadership Legacy Project
A final seminar where Leadership Honors Students connect with community leaders to leave their Leadership Legacy.
|S5 - Spring||Leadership for Lawyers Seminars|
2½-year J.D. program - Fall starters
3-YEAR J.D. PROGRAM - FALL STARTERS
S = Semester
|S1 - Fall
S2 - Spring
|Honors Roundtable Series|
|S3 - Fall||Leadership for Lawyers Seminars|
|S4 - Spring||Leadership for Lawyers Seminars
Leadership Legacy Project (2½-year only)
|S5 - Fall||Leadership Legacy Project (3-year only)|