Skip to main content



J-1 students are required to have authorization to work from ISSS for all types of employment. If your DS-2019 specifies the program sponsor (item #2) as “University of Dayton” and the exchange visitor category (item #4) as “Student”, you can apply for employment authorization with ISSS. You may not begin employment unless you have obtained employment authorization from ISSS.

Types of Employment

As a J-1 student, you may qualify for the following types of employment:

On-Campus Employment
  • On-campus employment is defined as work done on the premises of the school.
  • A J-1 student may be authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and full time during summer and official University holiday breaks for on-campus employment. Students who already have assistantships considered to be equivalent to 20 hours a week are not eligible for additional on-campus employment.
  • Once you complete your academic program, you are no longer eligible for on-campus employment unless you have obtained employment authorization based on academic training.
Off Campus Employment: Academic Training

Academic Training (AT) is employment authorization allowing J-1 students to gain practical experience that is directly related to their academic program of study. AT may include, but is not limited to, internships, practicum, cooperative education, and other types of practical experience gained through off-campus employment.

  • AT may be authorized before the completion of an academic program, but it is generally used after the completion of an academic program. AT done prior to program completion is deducted from the total amount available upon completion.
  • AT is awarded on a full-time basis—part-time employment is not deducted at a half-time rate.
  • You must receive authorization from ISSS before beginning employment.


  • Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible for up to eighteen months of AT.
  • Any student (graduate or undergraduate) in a program less-than eighteen months may be eligible for a period of AT equivalent to the length time spent in a full-time course of study in the U.S. (i.e. a nine month academic program equates to nine months of AT.)
  • Doctoral students are eligible for two 18-month periods of AT. However; the second period is only awarded once the PhD has been completed.
  • A student must apply for AT prior to the expiration of the DS-2019 or prior to the completion of the academic program, whichever is earlier.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to maintain a valid DS-2019 for the duration of the AT period. If an extension is needed, contact the IO. Plan ahead!
  • Post-Completion AT must be paid employment, or you must provide proof of sufficient funds to support yourself during the training period.
  • Your authorized period of academic training will begin on the day after you complete your studies, whether or not you begin working on this day.


  • Student must be in good academic standing.
  • Student must be maintaining J-1 status (including maintaining adequate health insurance, as stipulated by the U.S. Dept of State—see p. 2 of Form DS-2019).
  • AT employment must be directly related to academic program of study.
  • Student must have an offer of employment.


  1. Submit the AT Request Form. The AT Request Form can only be obtained after meeting with an advisor.
  2. ISSS will review your request and if eligible update your DS-2019 to reflect the AT.
  3. You will be notified by e-mail when this process is complete.

When to Apply?

Students applying for pre-completion AT must apply prior to the start-date of their employment. Any student working off-campus before receiving authorization is in violation of their immigration status. All applications for AT require an offer letter and a completed application in order to be authorized.

  • A student must apply for AT before the expiration date listed on the DS-2019 or prior to the completion of the academic program, whichever is earlier.
  • Once all application materials are completed, they should be submitted to the International Office during walk-in advising hours.
  • Note: PhD students who have completed their programs, and who are currently working in the first 18-month period of AT should apply for the second period of 18-months at least 30-days prior to the end-date of the first 18-month period.


  • Travel outside the U.S. before the completion of the academic program requires a valid passport (six-months into the future), valid J-1 visa stamp, and valid DS-2019.
  • Travel outside the U.S. after completion of the academic program requires a completed AT application and approval prior to departure. Plan ahead and contact the ISSS if you need assistance.

Changes in employment

If you wish to change your job/employer, you must complete the entire application procedures outlined above, prior to terminating the already authorized employment, and before beginning the new employment.

If your employment is terminated unexpectedly, your authorization is terminated as well. In this instance, you are required to either leave the U.S. or change your status within 30-days of termination.

Consult ISSS immediately if there are changes in your employment or for any additional questions.


International Student and Scholar Services

Rike Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469