Skip to main content

Transferring from the University of Dayton

Transferring from the University of Dayton

If you plan to attend another school, ISSS must transfer your SEVIS record. Students may apply to many schools, but the SEVIS record can only be transferred to one school.

If the time period between the end of enrollment or OPT and the start date of the program at the new school will be more than five months, you may not be able to transfer your SEVIS record and may have to depart then re-enter the US. 

Transferring your SEVIS record has advantages:

  • You do not have to pay the SEVIS fee again;
  • You will be allowed to remain in the U.S. or travel in and out before your program starts, rather than only being able to enter the U.S. within 30 days of the new program;
  • You can use your current F-1 or J-1 visa for travel if it is still valid, even though it will still say University of Dayton on the visa rather than your new school's name; and
  • You may be able to apply for off-campus employment (CPT, OPT) at the new school as you will have already accumulated enough full-time study to qualify.

Choosing a Transfer Release Date

The transfer release date is the date UD releases your SEVIS record to the new school. On the transfer release date, your new school has access to your record and create your new I-20.

You can choose a transfer release date any time in the 60-day grace period following your I-20 end date.  You cannot transfer your record before the academic term ends, as your legal eligibility to study at UD will also end.

You can transfer your record during OPT or in the 60-day grace period following your OPT end date.  However, transferring your SEVIS record while on OPT will automatically cancel any remaining OPT time, even if the date on your EAD is in the future.  If you are on OPT, you should wait to have your record transferred until after you are finished working.


  1. Obtain admission to another school.
  2. Submit the ISSS request form and email a copy of your acceptance letter from your new school to
  3. If you request a transfer during a semester, ISSS will release your SEVIS record to the new school on the last day of the current term. You must continue to attend classes until the SEVIS record is released.
  4. Your new school will have access to your record on the SEVIS release date, at which time they can issue an I-20 to you. After this date, your new school can issue an I-20 to you.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long can I wait between ending classes at my transfer-out school and starting classes at my transfer-in school?

On the transfer release date, the transfer-in school controls the student’s SEVIS record. He or she must begin classes at the transfer-in school at the next available term, unless taking an authorized break or vacation during that term.

If the next available term does not start within five months of the last date of school attendance or program completion date at the transfer-out school (whichever is earlier), the student must depart the United States until he or she can begin the new program. This will not be handled as a transfer. The student will get a new SEVIS record and the school will send the student an Initial attendance Form I-20. The student must then pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and apply for a new F-1 visa.

I am a new student who hasn't started classes yet at the University of Dayton but I want to transfer to another school. What do I need to do?

If the student does not have a program start date at the transfer-in school that is within 30 days of his or her initial admission into the United States, the student may do one of the following:

  • Enroll for a full course of study at the University of Dayton. Once the student’s record is Active, he or she may request a transfer following the procedures above.
  • Withdraw your acceptance to the University of Dayton, leave the United States, and obtain a new Form I-20 from the school you wish to attend. After exiting the U.S., pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee. The student must exit the U.S. within 15 days. Since the student entered the United States, and reported to the University of Dayton, the University of Dayton will make the record Active and then terminate it for Authorized Early Withdrawal.

If a student does not choose one of the options above and fails to enroll for classes, ISSS must terminate the student’s SEVIS record for Failure to Enroll.


International Student and Scholar Services

Rike Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469