Skip to main content


As an international student, maintaining your immigration status is critical. To do that, follow these basic rules:

Keep your immigration documents valid. 

  • Your passport should be valid at least six months into the future at all times. If your passport is expiring soon, renew it with your country’s consulate in the US or in your home country. 
  • Your I-94 record should be correct and printed out every time you travel outside of and reenter the US to ensure you entered the country in F-1 or J-1 status. Download your I-94 after each entry.
  • Your I-20 or DS-2019 must be accurate and unexpired. Keep all originals ever issued to you in a safe place. If any information needs to be updated, contact us. If your I-20 or DS-2019 is expiring, request an extension.
  • Once in the US, an expired visa does not affect your immigration status. When entering the US, your visa must be valid. 

Register for a full course load every fall and spring semester.*

  • You must register full time every fall and spring semester. 
  • Only one online course may count towards full-time enrollment in any fall or spring semester*
  • If you cannot enroll for a full course load, contact ISSS to discuss your options.

*Students beginning their studies in the summer must also register for a full course load.

Enroll in at least 1 in-person course during your final semester.*

F-1 students remaining in the US in their final semester should take at least one in-person course. Only 3 credits of 1 online course may count towards the full-time enrollment requirement. 

Students must remain in the US for their final semester if they intend to apply for post-completion OPT.

J-1 students cannot consider online course enrollment as part of their required full-time enrollment. Online course enrollment should be in addition to full-time in-person enrollment.

Submit your US address and phone number to the university.

You must submit a current US address and US phone number to the university. If there are changes, you must update the information within 10 days.

Do not begin work without authorization.

For more information on working in the US as an international student, click here.

Follow UD and US government requirements. 

  • You must have health insurance during the entire time you are a student at UD. To learn more about this requirement, click here
  • You are required to report your taxes to the US government even if you didn’t work in the US. Learn more by clicking here.
  • New students must submit health records to the university. To learn more about this requirement, click here.

Decide your plans by the end of your grace period.

Upon completion of program, F-1 students have 60-days and J-1 students have 30 days to do the following: 

 Apply for work authorization, such as Post Completion OPT. J-1 students must apply and be approved for Academic Training before the end date listed on your DS-2019.

* Students may not exit and reenter the US in F-1 or J-1 status during their grace period. This includes any travel to Canada or Mexico. 


International Student & Scholar Services

Rike Center
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1701