Skip to main content

Tuition Assistance and National Guard Scholarship

Military Tuition Assistance


To receive Tuition Assistance benefits:

  • Work with your Educational Services Officer (ESO) or counselor in your military service branch.
  • Once your eligibility is determined, provide your contract to Flyer Student Services.
  • You are encouraged to explore all financial aid opportunities available, click here for details about the timeline and next steps.

Refund Procedure for Tuition Assistance Benefits:

  •  Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded.  When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.
  • To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, the University of Dayton will return any unearned TA funds based on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided.  TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.  These funds are returned to the military Service branch.
  • Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.  The affected service member should also check with his/her funding source for the impact dropping a course(s) and tuition refund approval may have on funding.

Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program

Ohio National Guard Scholarship Program (ONGSP) is a government funded program.

Eligible ONG Members in an active three-year enlistment with the Ohio National Guard are awarded up to four full time semesters. Those in a six-year or more enlistment are awarded a lifetime maximum of eight full time semesters. Former ONG Members who have completed their enlistment obligation with an honorable discharge may continue their Scholarship Program benefit for the time they were unable to attend school due to deployment and have five years from their discharge date to use their remaining benefit.

Requirements for participation

ONG members must be currently serving and in good standing with the Ohio National Guard, with qualifying years in Ohio.

Current guard members must apply for the benefit at

The ONGSP is available for undergraduate degree programs only.

ONG Members who possess a bachelor’s degree are not eligible for the Scholarship Program. However, prior college credits or possession of an associate’s degree does not affect eligibility.

Full program details can be found at

Payment Rates at Ohio Private Colleges for Academic Year 2021-22

Enrolled Credits         Semester Award 

12                             $5,508 (Maximum Semester Award)

11                              $5,049

10                             $4,590

9                              $4,131

8                              $3,672

7                              $3,213

6                              $2,754

5                              $2,295

4                              $1,836

3                              $1,377

2                              N/A


Military and Veteran Programs and Services (MVPS)

Zehler Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1481