See UD's plans to return to teaching, learning and research on campus this fall with measures in place to promote safety and lessen the risk of COVID-19 spread.

Skip to main content

Travel & Entertainment Reimbursements

Before completing the Travel & Entertainment Expense Form, please read the reminders under each of the tabs below. The Expense Form can be accessed by navigating to Travel Form & Instructions link on the right or under the last tab below.

Special guidelines are involved when traveling with students, whether the students are traveling for academic reasons, as part of a club/organization, or are performing University business.

Visit the Student Travel page for more information before completing a Travel & Entertainment Expense Form. 

  • Travelers are required to use their PCards on business travel. Travelers should apply for a PCard as soon as travel plans are known, but at least 15 working days in advance of departure. This applies to nearly all business expenses, including transportation, lodging, meals, and entertaining business guests.
  • Some regions of the world do not accept Visa branded credit cards, so in these cases it may be necessary to have cash withdrawal functionality from a PCard, obtain a cash advance, or the traveler may elect to use personal funds and be reimbursed at the conclusion of the trip. Specific rules and procedures apply in all of these scenarios.
  • Certain transactions would be impractical to use a PCard and travelers may request a reimbursement. Common examples include tipping or parking at a cash only lot/garage. Personal vehicle mileage must always be requested by the travel expense reimbursement process.

  • Receipts are required for every expense greater than $10.
  • Per diem is strongly discouraged in favor of receipts showing actual expenses, except in cases of government-sponsored travel. 
  • In cases of lost or missing receipts greater than $10, travelers should complete the Lost/Missing Receipt Form.
  • Payable Services will not pay any expense greater than $75 without a receipt per IRS Regulations. This cannot be overridden by the Lost/Missing Receipt Form.

Alcoholic beverages purchased at off-campus gatherings for important visitors (e.g., seminar speakers, job candidates, donors, grantors) intended to support relationship-building and advance University business are eligible for University funding or reimbursement.  In-line with University values, common sense, and good stewardship of resources, reimbursement is limited to reasonable consumption - defined as one beverage per person per meal or event where alcohol is permissible. A standard pour is considered reasonable (e.g., 1.5 oz for liquor, 5 oz for wine, or 12 oz for beer).

Alcoholic beverages may not reimbursed or charged to a PCard without a valid business purpose. Valid business purposes are generally entertaining clients, donors, or special guests of the University. Guest speakers do not meet this criteria.

Please do not submit Travel & Entertainment Expense Forms with alcoholic beverages included without justification.

Payable Services will not determine how much tax and gratuity apply to an alcoholic beverage vs. the remainder of a meal receipt, even if the traveler has removed the alcoholic beverage from the reimbursement request. Gratuity will be adjusted to 18% of the food total (not to exceed what was actually tipped) and no tax will be paid. This will be adjusted for travelers using the expense form or will be collected back from Pcard travelers if the adjustment results in a decreased allowable expense of $1.00 or more. Therefore, travelers consuming alcoholic beverages using personal funds are strongly urged to request that such beverages be on a separate receipt. 

Under the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act, the IRS notifies the State Department (State) of taxpayers certified as owing a seriously delinquent tax debt, which is currently $52,000 or more. The law then requires State to deny their passport application or renewal. If a taxpayer currently has a valid passport, State may revoke the passport or limit a taxpayer’s ability to travel outside the United States.

The IRS notes that it is especially important for taxpayers with imminent travel plans who have had their passport applications denied by State to call the IRS promptly. The IRS can help taxpayers resolve their tax issues and expedite reversal of their certification to State. When expedited, the IRS can generally shorten the 30 days processing time by 14 to 21 days. For expedited reversal of their certification, taxpayers will need to inform the IRS that they have travel scheduled within 45 days or that they live abroad.

According to a Taxpayer Advocate Service memo, official IRS guidance will follow once the IRS Commissioner makes a final decision about the process.

Once you've reviewed the Travel & Entertainment Policy, guidelines on this page and in the FAQs and Resources page, you're now ready to complete the Travel & Entertainment Expense Form


Procurement & Payable Services

Daniel J. Curran Place
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 7022