See UD's plans to return to teaching, learning and research on campus this fall with measures in place to promote safety and lessen the risk of COVID-19 spread.

Skip to main content

Car Rentals & Mileage

University Driver Certification

Whether renting a car or using a personal vehicle and requesting mileage reimbursement, all University travelers must become a University Certified Driver.  An uncertified driver using a rental vehicle under the University's contract is a serious risk to the driver and University should an accident occur.  Uncertified drivers will not be reimbursed for mileage.

University Car Rental Program with Enterprise/National Car Rentals

Preferred car rental company:  Enterprise/National Car Rental

The University has a preferred vendor relationship with Enterprise/National Car Rental (link to program summary). If a rental is not possible from Enterprise or National, employees will be reimbursed from other vendors when explanation for exception is provided (e.g., no cars available from Enterprise/National or Enterprise/National did not have a location in destination). 

The University has established a contract with Enterprise/National for car rentals and cargo vans for use when conducting University business.  Indicate Rental Contract ID: XZ38Y40 when making a reservation. 

It is recommended to set up an Emerald Aisle account with National Car Rental.  When setting up your profile, you can add a credit card and default Contract ID to facilitate future reservations.  The rental car company requires the credit card to be in the driver's name.

Individuals should select standard sized cars or smaller.  Any larger sized vehicle must be justified by a University business purpose and approved by the supervisor.

Mileage Reimbursements

Usage of a personal vehicle will be reimbursed at a maximum of the current mileage rate established by the Internal Revenue Service.


  • Car rentals: Travelers should use their PCards for fuel purchases and retain receipts in accordance with Pcard Rules & Procedures. Travelers without PCards must pay out-of-pocket and submit fuel receipts in accordance with Travel & Entertainment Expense Form reimbursement guidelines. 
  • Personal vehicles: Travelers claiming mileage may not be reimbursed for fuel purchases. 

Other Considerations

This page gives guidelines and highlights portions of the University's Travel & Entertainment Policy. Travelers should familiarize themselves with the full Policy for more information.


Procurement & Payable Services

Daniel J. Curran Place
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 7022