Skip to main content


Below are some frequently asked questions relating to financial stewardship. If you can’t find the answer you are looking for, please complete the Connect With Us form or email with your questions.

Faculty and Staff Recruitment & Staffing

Limit the number of candidates invited for on-campus interviews to three. Should you need to invite more than three candidates, exceptions can be granted by a dean or vice president.

The existing position control process, in which unit leaders are expected to submit requests to fill vacancies only when absolutely necessary, will continue. These requests will continue to be reviewed and approved by the president and executive vice presidents.

Unit budget managers and the Office of Human Resources must pre-approve additional services/work stipends. These requests will continue to be reviewed and approved by the president and executive vice presidents through the position control process.


Procurement and Payable Services has provided a job aid campus can use when creating purchase orders in Runway. You can also contact with any questions you have on Runway.

All non-PCard purchases require a purchase order and must go through Runway.

UPS will provide the University's shipping services, with the exception of non-standard freight, which requires pre-approval from Procurement and Payable Services. When working with a supplier, ask that they use the UD UPS rate for shipping to you.

OmniSource is the University's exclusive supplier of custom branded logo items. No other vendors should be utilized.

All furniture purchases and minor renovations must be approved through Facilities Management and Planning.

Print Communications

Internal print communications with employees as the sole target audience will be eliminated campuswide except where digital communication for employees is not an option. This includes flyers, postcards, brochures, newsletters, Campus Report, and posters in favor of using Cerkl, Porches and other electronic and digital communications to promote on-campus events.


GSA per diem applies for all meals and lodging in your destination as indicated on  Meals and lodging will cap at what is listed for that city, state's rate.  Any amount which exceeds GSA per diem on meals and lodging will not be reimbursed unless the overage meets exception criteria or has been specifically approved as an exception by Payable Services.  Exceptions for lodging are (1) hotel cannot be found in locale at GSA per diem rate, (2) if conference or meetings attending are in the hotel that is booked or (3) if the cost of ground transportation would exceed the benefit of staying at a GSA per diem rate hotel.

If travel was arranged and booked/prepaid before 8/19/19, the formal pre-approval form requirement is waived (but obviously we are assuming the employee has permission to travel; employees should not travel on business without their supervisor's consent).
Travelers who are in a situation in which there is not enough time to order a PCard (at least 15 working days), we strongly encourage the use of a pre-authorization form for lodging purposes. Procurement and Payable Services can handle the pre-authorization form by calling ext 9-2641. However, if the traveler has guaranteed or prepaid for lodging on a personal credit card before 8/19/19, we will accept a travel expense form.

The University's travel agency now is Options Travel Agency, with air travel to be booked through the Concur tool.

Flights booked by methods other than Concur will not be reimbursed without prior approval by Procurement and Payable Services

Online Concur trainings are scheduled for 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 22; 10 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 29; and 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 10. You can register for trainings here. Once you are registered, additional webinar information will be emailed to you.

Except for employees whose primary work responsibilities are fundraising or recruitment, all travel must be pre-approved in writing by immediate supervisors via the Pre-Approval Process Form.

Your immediate supervisor will need to know how your travel will support professional development or University initiatives, how you will limit the number of staff attending the same conference, why you need to travel internationally, and whether professional development opportunities through the Center for Leadership, Human Resources, or the Office of Diversity and Inclusion are available in lieu of out-of-town opportunities requiring travel and conference fees.

The University will not reimburse expenses that exceed U.S. General Services Administration per diem rates.

Receipts are required for all reimbursements greater than $10; expenses without receipts greater than $10 will not be reimbursed.

Meals and Food Service

We recommend that you tell the club treasurer the FOAPAL that you'd like them to charge and allow them to place the order directly with ATG.  The club treasurer can then assign the cart to someone in your organization to submit so that the order can be placed.

If the club treasurer did not  attend the recent Student Organization Treasurer's meeting where we provided training on how to buy food using America to Go in Runway or if the club treasurer would like assistance getting their Runway order placed, Procurement and Payable Services can help them walk through the student club "Financial Management Tool" and get their order placed. 

Alcoholic beverages of any kind will no longer be served at University events between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. If alcohol is served after 4 p.m., it will be limited to beer and wine.

Alcoholic beverages purchased at off-campus gatherings for important visitors (e.g., seminar speakers, job candidates, donors, grantors) intended to support relationship-building and advance University business are eligible for University funding or reimbursement.  In-line with University values, common sense, and good stewardship of resources, it is expected that, if alcoholic drinks are ordered, the consumption will be appropriately moderate both in quantity and cost.

University funds cannot be used for food at internal meetings on or off campus, unless the meeting is more than two hours long and occurs during 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Snacks, candy, and beverages (other than coffee, tea and/or a water cooler) should not be purchased with University funds unless they are for the benefit of guests.

Events and Celebrations

University funds should not be used to fund multiple celebrations around a particular event, such as holiday parties, for both a division and a department or office within that division.

Divisions and departments should seek ways for events to serve more than one purpose. For example, departments might celebrate life events, promotions, retirements, etc. in conjunction with quarterly, holiday, year-end or other gatherings, rather than as separate events.

Do not use University funds for Christmas presents for employees.

Divisions and departments should mostly eliminate purchase of custom UD merchandise or branded items for employees. The only acceptable purchases of this type should be confined to recognize a limited, specific achievement or for recruiting purposes. Purchases should be made through OmniSource or through the UD Bookstore to ensure the lowest cost, best quality, and conformance with University-approved standards.

Sponsorships and Donations

The President's office will coordinate all sponsorship and donation requests from outside the University and should be directed to the executive director for the Office of the President.


Office of Budget and Planning

St. Mary's Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1664