Driver Certification Session

The Driver Certification session is comprised of three sections: Section 1:  the Certification Form, Section 2:  the Presentation and Section 3:  the Quiz.  All three parts must be completed before an applicant can be certified.  

>>Section 1:  Certification Form

Applicants must complete and sign a certification form.  The form must be mailed to Environmental Health and Safety/Risk Management (+2904) in order to process the driver certification.  The form provides consent for the University to verify the applicant's driving record with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to determine the applicant’s insurability and certification to drive a UD-insured vehicle on behalf of the University. University-insured vehicles include golf and utility carts, leased or donated and rental vehicles.

There are two ways to complete the form:

1)    Print out the form, complete it and submit it:

          driver certification form (pdf)

          driver certification form (doc)

>>Section 2:  Presentation

The Presentation provides safety information in regards to driving a car and a van that applicants should already be familiar with.   

(Click screenshot to open the presentation pdf.)

Driver Certification Screenshoot2015

>>Section 3:  Quiz

Applicants are required to take the quiz to review their knowledge of the subject. Submission of the quiz is required for documentation purposes prior to driving a University-insured vehicle.  To begin the Quiz, click here.>>>  

Vehicle Use and Driver Certification Policy

The University of Dayton Vehicle Use and Driver Certification Policy is established as part of the continuing efforts to improve the safety of University faculty, staff, students and volunteers who operate University-insured vehicles. The intention of this policy is to reduce the risk of personal injury, reduce liability and property loss to the University and to enhance the University’s insurability.

To learn more about the policy, please access the following link: 

List of UD Certified Drivers

Please use the link below to view the list of drivers who are authorized to operate a University-insured vehicle on behalf of the University. The expiration date reflects the new requirement of completing the Driver Certification session annually. Please note that Driver Certificates are now being sent by email to all approved drivers.

After the quiz and the form has been submitted, it can take about ten days to process the certification. The Driver Certification list is fluid and recent activity that is not reflected on this edition will be reflected on the next edition, which should be distributed in about two weeks. If you have questions, please contact Environmental Health and Safety/Risk Management at 937 229 4503.

-List of Certified Drivers  

Driver Certification FAQ

1-How often must I complete the driver certification session and how long should I allow for certification before driving on behalf of the University?
Certifications are required on an annual basis as noted in the University of Dayton’s “Vehicle Use and Driver Certification” policy. Allow up to 10 days after submitting your signed form to receive your certificate by email. States other than Ohio can take 10 days or more.

2-Can I become a University certified driver if I currently have an international license?
No, all driver certification applicants must have a United States driver's license to satisfy UD's insurance requirements in becoming a certified driver.  

3-Can I become a University certified driver if I currently have a license from the U.S. Territory of Puerto Rico?
Yes, but since our motor vehicle report company only provides reports for stateside licenses, we need for the applicant to contact their bureau of motor vehicles or visit their website to obtain their own motor vehicle report and then submit the report to FM EHS/RM.

4-Where can I get an insurance card?
The insurance card is needed when using a UD vehicle or rental. UD vehicles should already have a card in the glovebox. If not, the card can be obtained by calling FM EHS/RM, 229-4503, it will be emailed or faxed to you.

5-How can I schedule the use of a UD vehicle?
If your department does not have a UD-insured vehicle, several departments loan vehicles for UD business and events. Contact Center for Social Concern, 229-2576; Arts & Sciences, 229-2603 and Kennedy Union, 229-3333.

6-What if UD vehicles are not available?
UD established a contract with Enterprise/National rental for UD business and event use. The contract includes discounted rates, additional insurance, roadside assistance and claim management. Use contract no. XZ38Y40 when scheduling. Rental drivers must also complete the driver certification session.

7-Do I need to accept the additional insurance when I rent a vehicle?
Yes, except when using Enterprise or National within the UD contract.

8-Do I have to use the Enterprise/National contract when renting for UD business?
No. However, if you choose a different rental agency not under the UD contract, you must accept the additional insurance for “loss damage waiver” which covers damages to the rental.

9-Can I use the UD rental contract for personal use? 

10-Are students required to be certified to use a UD vehicle or rental?
Yes. The driver certification session must be completed annually.

11-When should students complete the “Personal Vehicle Use” form?
The personal vehicle use form is required through Student Involvement for approved events and is available on their website. Other departments can also use the form to fit their needs for student events, but it is not required.

12-How do I report an accident when using a UD vehicle or rental?
Contact the local police to report the accident. If on campus, contact UD Public Safety 229-2121.  Notify FM EHS/RM at 229-4503. If using a rental, call the roadside assistance number on the back of your contract.

13-What if an accident occurs while I’m driving my personal vehicle on UD business?
Promptly report the accident to your personal insurer. If you or other passengers are injured, notify Human Resources to discuss workers compensation procedures.

14-When do I need to be certified to drive my personal vehicle on UD business? Why?
The driver certification session must be completed before using your personal vehicle for UD business, only if you are submitting mileage reimbursement. Although your personal insurance is still primary in the event of an accident, UD’s insurance might come into play under certain circumstances. 

Renting a Vehicle for University Business


An individual must be a UD certified driver to be covered under the University insurance when driving a rental vehicle on behalf of the University. If you are not a certified driver, please enter the Driver Certification session by accessing the following link:

The University has established a contract with Enterprise for car rentals and cargo vans for use when conducting University business. Indicate Rental Contract ID: XZ38Y40 when making a reservation.

Exclusions: The rental contract does not include box trucks. Therefore, drivers renting box trucks (or vehicles other than cars and cargo vans) to conduct UD business are strongly recommended to purchase the additional insurance offered by Enterprise. 

Enterprise Offices:
Downtown:  500 N. Main St., Dayton, Ohio 45405; 937-228-4555
Kettering: 280 Loop Rd, 45459; 937-291-9020
Toll Free Number: 1-800-736-8222 (800-rentacar)

NOTE:  The Rental Contract ID applies to UD business or UD events only; it does not cover personal use.

A brief summary of the benefits of the rental contract includes: 

- Offers favorable rates that include the cost for insurance protection. Renting a standard size car for a day trip to Columbus is less costly for a department then to reimburse mileage for the use of a personal vehicle.

- Includes one million dollars of liability coverage. This “Auto Physical Damage” coverage eliminates many small claims, eliminating the University time required to process these claims as well as having these claims charged back to the University.

- The lower driver age (18 except for 15 passenger vans which requires the driver to be 21) is usually not available on single contracts.

- Emerald Club membership is available to all drivers. The benefits of a Emerald Club membership are:
     *Bypass the counter: Bypass the rental counter and go directly to the Emerald Club Aisle at more than 50 major airports in the U.S. and Canada.
     *Choose your own car: Don't waste time looking for your assigned car - just choose any car from the Emerald Club Aisle and be on your way.
     *Choose your rewards: Choose Free Rental Days or your favorite frequent traveler program.

If you are not renting though Enterprise Rental, we strongly recommend that UD employees and students accept the additional insurance for the rental vehicle. This type of property insurance which is sometimes referred to as “loss damage waiver” or “collision insurance”, provides complete coverage should anything happen to the rental vehicle, whether it be due to an accident or vandalism. This is important since in the event of an accident, the University's insurance coverage does not include coverage to the rental vehicle itself.

- If you have additional questions regarding insurance coverage, would like to know when you last completed the driver certification, or need an insurance card prior to a trip, please contact our office at 937-229-4503 and we will gladly assist. 

Reporting an Accident


Following an accident with a University-insured vehicle:

- Immediately, notify the local law enforcement agency (police) for that location.  If the accident occurs on campus, notify UD Public Safety at 937-229-2121.  It is important that a police report is taken at the time of the accident. If possible, take photos or sketches of the accident at the scene, including all damaged property.

- Notify Environmental Health & Safety/Risk Management regarding accidents or any vehicle damage as soon as possible at: 937-229-4503, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. If after hours, please leave a voice mail message.


Prior to leaving the scene of the accident, obtain the following information (if possible):

- Make, model, year, color and license plate number of all vehicles involved.

- Name, address, and phone number of all parties involved, including other vehicle drivers and passengers and especially the name and phone number of their insurance carrier.

- Obtain witness contact information and statements.

Description of the accident:

- If the vehicle was towed, provide location contact info

- If any parties were injured, name of hospitals they were take to.

- UD vehicle number from blue sticker in the right lower corner of the windshield.

- Name and number where your vehicle was towed.

Related Links

Utility Usage Guide

If you drive a golf cart or other utility vehicle, please refer to these instructions and guidelines.


To provide guidelines for t safe operation of utility vehicles at the University of Dayton.  The objective is to prevent any injuries to the public or members of the University community and to prevent property damage.


Operation of all utility vehicles operated on University of Dayton property.


It is the responsibility of the individual departments to ensure that all drivers of their utility vehicles receive training to ensure that the following safety guidelines are practiced. UD's Department of Environmental Health & Safety/Risk Management (EHS/RM) will act as an advisory and support organization.

Operator Requirements:

All operators of utility vehicles are required to have a valid driver's license and must be certified/insured to drive for University of Dayton business through the Environmental Health & Safety/Risk Management's Driver's training Course. Operators will receive specific hands-on training from their department regarding the vehicle use.  In the event of an accident involving a utility vehicle, standard reporting procedures including obtaining a report from Public Safety and promptly notifying a supervisor and EHS/RM.

Recommended Equipment:

The following equipment is recommended to be present and operational on all utility vehicles:

- Emergency brake

- Horn/audible warning devise

- Ignition shut-off/security systems

- Slow moving vehicle safety triangle on rear of vehicle

- Warning lights on front and rear of vehicle OR top mounted strobe light

- First Aid Kit

- Ties, braces or adequate compartments to properly stow equipment

- Lights (head, tail, brake) for all department name to be identified clearly on vehicle in three inch minimum letters

- Department name to be identified clearly on vehicle in three inch minimum letters

- Mirrors (if cargo or other equipment blocks rear vision.)

- Backing alarm

- Portable fire extinguisher

Vehicle Operation:

- Utility vehicles shall observe all vehicular traffic laws (e.g. stopping at stops signs, yielding to pedestrians, etc.)

- Vehicles shall not be operated in a manner that may endanger passengers, other members of the campus community or property (e.g. no driving on landscaping, bumping into  bollards, etc.)

- The number of passengers and load capacity shall not exceed the manufacturer's rated limit.

- Utility vehicles are restricted to streets, sidewalks, and paths on the University campus, please do not drive on the grass.  Designated primary routes are to be used whenever.  utility vehicles are not to be operated on City-owned streets.

- Vehicles can only be parked on hard covered surfaces and must not block any entrances to buildings, stairways, ramps, or thoroughfares.

- Operators must reduce speed to match other users on all streets, sidewalks, and paths. In crowed pedestrian areas, operators must either park or proceed at a slow pace.

- Operators must not engage in any cell phone use while operating the utility vehicle nor shall the driver use any electronic device that requires the use of head phones.  The driver must remain alert to their surroundings at all times.  All items brought into the cart, including personal items, boxes, tools, etc. must be stowed in a manner where the items will not shift while stopping or turning corners.

Vehicle Fueling and Storage:

- All operators must receive department specific fueling instructions when applicable and all vehicles must be charged and stored in approved sites.  Each of these sites will take into account machine specific hazards (flammability of fuel, off-gassing from battery charging, etc.)

Van Safety Guidelines

1.   Drivers should only drive 6 hours (with 15 minute breaks every 3 hours) or 400 miles total (whichever is greatest) in one day.                               

2.   Drivers should work (coaching/driving, etc.) no more than 13 hours during any day.                               

3.   All drivers must be certified by the University of Dayton Environmental Health & Safety/Risk Management Department.

4.    All equipment/cargo must be stored completely under the seats and/or behind the back seat (may not block drivers view), or be belted in a seat (farthest from the door possible).  There must be nothing under the passenger’s feet, in front of the door, or otherwise blocking the access to, or exit from the van. Passengers must be able to exit, and emergency personnel must be able to access, the van quickly in case of emergency.

5.    An awake, alert person must occupy the passenger seat of any van during any trip over four hours, when travel is done in the dark, or when needed to help the driver to navigate and stay alert.                

6.    Every passenger and driver must wear a properly adjusted seat belt any time the van is moving and/or in traffic. (This includes any sleeping passengers.)

7.    Drivers must obey all motor vehicle laws, including posted speed limits.

8.   There must be two certified/eligible drivers on any trip over 4 hours.                                

9.    Driving between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. should be limited.                                

10.  Travel should not begin, or should be suspended if the National Weather Service has issued a travelers advisory, or the weather forecast calls for severe weather for any part of the trip.

11.  Travel will not begin, or will be suspended if the van is in need of repair. 

12.  When more than one vehicle is used to transport to and from events (at the same time) they should travel together.

13.  A cell phone should be available to drivers on trips greater than 25 miles.  Cell phones should not be used when the vehicle is in traffic or in motion.

Get In Touch

Margie Keenan

St. Marys Hall 301