Skip to main content

COVID-19 Resources

Update - Reminder to register international travel


Click here for information on current operations, including previous updates and messages to the University community.

Click here for more information on COVID-19, including on coming in contact with someone tested for or diagnosed with the virus. Also, find information on when to call a doctor, tips for keeping healthy and maintaining anxiety and stress, and information from the CDC, World Health Organization and Ohio Department of Health information. 

Click here for messages regarding the Path Forward, UD's work to implement safety measures for the fall.


March 3, 2020

Dear Campus Colleagues, 

If you are making plans to travel abroad for academic programs or business purposes, the University has a process to support and assist all UD travelers.  Your health and safety are a priority, and in a dynamic world, it is essential that you follow the steps outlined below as you plan for international travel. Please be mindful that travel restrictions are in place for traveling to and returning from certain parts of the globe.  

Register Your TravelAt least two weeks prior to traveling abroad, make sure that you have completed the UD International Travel Registry (ITR).  You will need to answer a few brief questions about your trip (e.g., name, destination(s), dates, travel purpose).  Examples for faculty or staff traveling abroad can include, but not be limited to, teaching on a UD study abroad program, attending an international conference, doing international research or sabbatical abroad.  By completing this registration prior to traveling abroad, it allows us to locate and provide support to UD travelers during moments of crisis or emergency. Students follow a different process, so please refer those to the CIP. 

The Office of Education Abroad also recommends that UD faculty and staff register international travel with the U.S. State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). This allows the U.S. government to connect with you in the event of a local emergency.  Faculty and staff should not register vacation travel in UD’s International Travel Registry, however, it is recommended that all international travel be registered via the STEP program. 

International SOS –The University of Dayton partners with International SOS (SOS) to provide worldwide medical, travel and security assistance, and evacuation services, for all faculty, staff, and students participating in university-related or -funded travel. Accompanying family of faculty and staff also are covered. The SOS network of multilingual specialists operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from SOS Alarm Centers around the world.  

Before and during time abroad, all travelers should regularly review up-to-date International SOS reports on safety and security, health issues, medical care, and vaccination requirements for the destination country. You can log in using UD’s Member number: 11BYSG000008. You are also welcome to call 215-942-8226 at any time to receive information, advice or support services. 

The Office of Education Abroad has International SOS cards that you can carry with you.  Feel free to stop by Alumni Hall 211 to pick up a card. A card is NOT required to access services. You can also simply put the SOS phone and member number in your smartphone. 

High Risk Travel – There are some areas of the world that pose a greater risk to travelers and visitors than other areas.  High risk travel may entail medical, security and/or general travel risks. Levels of overall safety in particular areas of the world also can fluctuate, and can be influenced by a variety of factors both internal and external to the country.  The current COVID 19 outbreak is impacting risk levels, so it is important to monitor the information for the site to which you plan to travel. The University does not support travel to countries deemed High Risk by these three sources:

UD travelers can review more details about the travel guidelines, including high risk travel online. 

For more information or if you have questions, please contact the Office of Education Abroad in Alumni Hall 211, at 9-3596 or email