Skip to main content

Employment FAQs


What is the difference between Federal Work Study (FWS) and University Funded Employment?

Both types of employment allow a student to work part-time on campus in order to earn money for educational expenses. The FAFSA is used to determine if a student qualifies for Federal Work Study, a need-based program in which the government subsidizes half of a student’s wages. Students who qualify can apply for any on-campus jobs (for which they meet the requirements) listed on Handshake, including those in the Federal Work Study Community Service Program.

University Funded Employment is awarded to any student who does not qualify for FWS and university funds are used for the student’s wages. All students are eligible for University Funded Employment, even if they do not receive it on their financial aid package. Students who receive University Funded employment can apply for all jobs (for which they meet the requirements) listed on Handshake, except for those in the Federal Work Study Community Service Program.

View your award letter on Porches to determine if you qualify for Federal Work Study or University Funded Employment

How do I apply for jobs?

All student employment job postings are now posted online at Handshake. You will log in and click on Jobs. Select On Campus. You will want to complete your profile and upload a resume to start applying to positions. Some positions may require additional documents such as cover letters, references, writing samples, etc. to be uploaded. For more information, call Career Services at 937-229-2045.

I am not FWS eligible, but all the jobs I want to apply for are restricted to FWS students. Can I be updated to FWS status?

FWS eligibility is determined by the FAFSA.  The financial aid office reviews your FAFSA results and will award your eligibility based on federal requirements.  If you have questions about this, you can contact the financial aid office at

Will my funds earned from working be applied directly to my student account?

No. You will receive your earnings via a paycheck or direct deposit for each pay period.

Now that I've been hired, what's my next step?

You must come to the Student Employment Office in Career Services (Alumni House, 208 L St.) to complete all new hire paperwork, including the I-9 Form, tax documents, etc. You must bring the acceptable document(s) with you to Student Employment. The list of acceptable documents can be found on the USCIS websiteOriginal documents are required by Federal Law. You cannot start working until you complete all of the tax and I-9 forms.

If I cannot get my acceptable document(s) before my start date, can I start working before I fill out my tax and I-9 forms?

No, you must fill out your tax and I-9 forms on or before your first day of work.

Do I have to bring my original acceptable document(s) in, or is a photocopy okay to use?

We must see the original acceptable documents as identified by USCIS. For a list of acceptable documents, please visit the USCIS website.

How do I enter my time?

Make sure you have completed the required tax forms with Student Employment. You must complete these forms in order to have access to your timecard. To see if you have an active timecard, log in to Porches and click on Human Resources on the right hand side of the screen. Scroll down to HR Self Service in the blue area. Click on Time Reporting. Click on Timesheet. Click on Access my timesheet. Choose the current pay period from the drop down and click on Timesheet. If you do not see a timecard there, you still need to fill out your tax forms. If you do see a timecard online and still have not gotten paid, please contact us at so that we can determine the issue.

I have applied to numerous positions, but have not heard back from anyone. What should I do?

Like any job application, employers will screen applicants to determine who should be hired for a position. You may want to take the opportunity to follow up with the potential supervisors regarding your desire to work. Be sure to review all position postings and continue to submit your resume.

I am a graduate assistant. How do I get paid?

Graduate Assistantships are not handled through the student employment office.  As a GA, you will sign a contract and then be paid on a semi-monthly basis through the regular payroll process. If you have any questions about your GA position, please talk to your supervisor or to Human Resources.


Student Employment

Alumni House
208 L Street
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 2711