Skip to main content

Psychology

Clinical Psychology FAQ

What is the deadline for application to the clinical psychology program?

February 15 of each year. Learn more from the Office of Graduate Admissions >>

Where do graduates from the clinical psychology program go?

Approximately 80% of our graduates gain admittance to Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology, counseling psychology, Psy.D. programs, or a related area of psychology such as social psychology or child development. The other 20% typically move immediately into either the public or private sector of mental health. Some of this group choose to work one to three years as a mental health professional first. The remainder of our past graduates are working outside of the behavioral health area in human resources or other business positions.

What forms of financial aid are available?

Approximately one third of accepted applicants are offered Graduate Assistantships within the Department. The remainder of the accepted applicants are typically offered Research Assistantships funded through faculty research or clinical traineeships in which the student practices case management, assessment, or therapy in the community. Early applicants can also apply for Graduate Assistantships outside of the Department of Psychology on the Student Development website.

These applications are due January 10. Please note, acceptance of a GA position outside of the Department does not guarantee acceptance into our program. Also note, that should you make the first cut in the application process, you are expected to inform the Director of the Graduate Programs in Psychology of your GA application.

Does a master's degree in clinical psychology qualify me for licensure as a psychologist?

No. In Ohio, a doctoral degree is required for licensure eligibility. A master's degree partially satisfies the eligibility requirements for licensure in other states.

What is the difference between a master's degree in clinical psychology and a master's degree in counseling?

In general, clinical psychology programs put more emphasis on understanding the theory and technique behind instruments designed to assess aspects of intelligence, personality and psychopathology. Clinical psychology programs train students in empirical or research methods that enable them to better interpret and contribute to our expanding knowledge of human behavior and behavior change. Our clinical program, unlike many counseling programs, is designed with the scientist-practitioner model at its foundation, and includes two courses in experimental design and statistics, as well as requiring an empirical master's thesis project.

CONTACT

Department of Psychology

St. Joseph Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1430
937-229-2713
Email