Skip to main content

Driver Certification FAQ

Driver Certification FAQ

Certifications are required on an annual basis as noted in the University of Dayton’s “Vehicle Use and Driver Certification” policy. Allow up to 10 days after submitting your signed form to receive your certificate by email. States other than Ohio can take 10 days or more.

No, all driver certification applicants must have a United States driver's license to satisfy UD's insurance requirements in becoming a certified driver.  

Yes, but since our motor vehicle report company only provides reports for stateside licenses, we need for the applicant to contact their bureau of motor vehicles or visit their website to obtain their own motor vehicle report and then submit the report to RMI.

The insurance card is needed when using a UD vehicle or rental. UD vehicles should already have a card in the glovebox. If not, the card can be obtained by calling RMI, it will be emailed you.

If your department does not have a UD-insured vehicle, several departments loan vehicles for UD business and events. Contact Procurement and Payable Services Vehicle Management.

UD established a contract with Enterprise/National rental for UD business and event use. The contract includes discounted rates, additional insurance, roadside assistance and claim management. For additional information review the University Travel and Entertainment Policy.

Yes, except when using Enterprise or National within the UD contract.

No. However, if you choose a different rental agency not under the UD contract, you must accept the additional insurance for “loss damage waiver” which covers damages to the rental.


Yes. The driver certification session must be completed annually.

The personal vehicle use form is required through Student Involvement for approved events and is available on their website. Other departments can also use the form to fit their needs for student events, but it is not required.

Contact the local police to report the accident. If on campus, contact UD Public Safety 229-2121.  Notify RMI. If using a rental, call the roadside assistance number on the back of your contract.

Promptly report the accident to your personal insurer. If you or other passengers are injured, notify Human Resources to discuss workers compensation procedures. Also contact RMI with information on the incident.

The driver certification session must be completed before using your personal vehicle for UD business, only if you are submitting mileage reimbursement. Although your personal insurance is still primary in the event of an accident, UD’s insurance might come into play under certain circumstances. 


Audit, Risk & Compliance

St. Mary's Hall
300 College Park
Dayton, Ohio 45469 - 1642