Skip to main content

School of Education and Health Sciences Virtual Admitted Student Day FAQ

For Teacher Education, no not in the beginning. Some of your classes as a first-year and sophomore will be in Fitz Hall but others will be in various buildings across campus. By your junior and senior year you will find almost all your classes will be on the 6 th floor of Fitz Hall.  

For Health and Sport Science, it is fairly similar. You tend to have at least one class per semester in Fitz Hall, with other classes distributed across campus.

A profile system is used to match you with a roommate, so we will match you and share the roommate assignment once that is complete.  Results will be shared over the next few months.

Yes you do still need to complete the housing form and share your home address with us. It is a different form for commuters, but still available within Porches. It also allows you to select a dining plan.

First year students are bused to their sites (schools) at 8 a.m. and then they pick you up and bring you back to campus. For sophomore, junior and senior year, if you don’t have a car, students are clustered into schools for their placements, so students will carpool to go to the school together.

I see my fall registration for classes opens in May. Do I meet with an advisor first or will there be a list of classes for me to choose from based on my major?

In terms of choosing my classes, how am I supposed to know which classes I have to take for my major my first year or if any are required?

Students will be sent an invitation to select courses for the fall. You will already be in programs, if you have declared a major. Students will then select the courses they prefer to take. Dr. Andrews’ office goes over every schedule to make sure it is an appropriate schedule (correct number of courses, semester hours, etc.). They work closely with Teacher Education and Health and Sport Science with scheduling courses to make sure they schedule is appropriate and will work for you. Students will receive a final schedule later in the summer. Her office is available for questions and changes, if needed. Please note that there are many reasons why the initial schedules have to change.

All of Early Childhood in the state of Ohio has moved to pre-K through fifth grade, so all of the courses are already embedded, so beginning your first-year, the courses will prepare you for your license. Everything is all together and you don’t need to take any additional courses.

This has been a little delayed due to current students needing to leave campus due to the virus. We are hopeful that students who submitted their forms in January, February and March will have their assignments emailed to them by mid-April.

First-year choices will be done through your Porches account in the May/early June time frame.

There is a bus from Cincinnati. Many students will carpool with other students. Chicago is one of more popular areas from which our students come.

Currently we use Break Shuttle as a service that students can use to go to and from Chicago.

Our Dining Services website is at has all of our meal plan options and what is available. You will make your meal plan decision on the housing application in your Porches account once you confirm your enrollment.

Here is a helpful website for the computer requirements:

It depends on what your concentration/career plans are. We try to have your schedule best set you up for success.

From the Health and Sport Science perspective, one of our majors is inclusive of a psychology minor and that is our Health Science - Occupational and Behavior Studies major as well as our Sport and Wellness Sports Management program is inclusive of a business administration minor. Overall minors are definitely something that is possible. Most of our programs are right around the 120 – 124 credit hours, which leaves almost an entire semester if you are going at the 18 credit mark per semester.

Double majoring can be a little more difficult. We have had some students achieve a double major in language as well as psychology and biology, but the minor option is very possible.

In Teacher Education, many of our AYA majors, which is our high school 7 th – 12 th grade majors, with their content area (History, English, Social Science and Math) do double majors. You will have an advisor in your content area and education to make sure you are taking the courses needed for the double major. Our other areas (licensures) are usually doing minors, which is very easy to add to your field of study.

You will receive a housing application through your Porches. For more information, the Housing and Residence Life website is: Their phone number is 937-229-3317.

Please contact Dr. Breymier, our nursing director with these specific questions. She can coordinate with Dr. Andrews, but has the best knowledge of the nursing progression.

There are 50 students in this program, but divided into 2 sections so 25 per class.

Send to Enrollment Management once they are final which is usually late May/early June. Dr. Andrews and her office will update schedules, if appropriate, based off the results.

This is a program for students who are unsure of what program they want to pursue will often select the Discover Education major. Either before you are on campus or once you are on campus, we will work with you before second semester to help you decide on a pathway that will work for you. If you are Discover Education, the advisors will work with you because you are in EDT 110 (the Introduction course). You get the experience of being in the field, so that also helps to solidify if this is the occupation/vocation you want to go into. You have until the end of your first-year to make a final decision on which area you want to pursue.

Integrated Living Learning Communities (ILLC’s) provide a way for a group of people to come to the university as part of a community of students. ILLC’s have designated living areas as well as courses specific to the ILLC. ILLC’s provide a great way for students to successfully transition to college.  It is recommended that early childhood education majors request the ILLC Curiosity in the Classroom (CIC). There is a first semester Teacher Education course, EDT 109 Personal Aspects of Teaching, which will focus on this ILLC. CIC students also take a first semester course, SCI 190 The Physical Universe, that has been developed for Curiosity in the Classroom students.

Yes, this is how to select a roommate! We don’t require you to request a roommate.  We will provide matching for students but we also honor mutual roommate requests – meaning both you and your roommate have both added each other to your housing form. So if you both do this, we will honor this request.

It depends on which major you start and which major you change to. Many courses, primarily those in our Common Academic Program fulfill requirements for multiple majors. Your advisor can work with you in order to make this pretty seamless.

This needs to come from the institution where you took the classes. We need the transcript directly from the college not from your high school. Just make sure you reach out to those institutions to get the transcripts sent to us. We don’t need this until the courses you are taking this spring are completed.

Yes you will definitely receive housing as a first-year student. Housing's website is, their email is and their phone number is 937-229-3317 and they can help with your specific questions

No it isn’t. Our first deadline has been moved to June 1st so you have plenty of time and we don’t incentivize this. So even if you confirm on June 1st , you will still have the opportunity to go through course preferencing and fill out housing and meal plan forms. We guarantee housing for our first-year students at UD and we can get our students into classes.

You are assigned an advisor and they will work with you step-by-step during your four years. Students that are doing an Honors thesis that worked on such projects as empowerment in Malawi, school curriculum, etc.. There are honors classes connected to some of the courses you will be taking. We have a great Honors Program at the University of Dayton that works with students to make sure they have the correct courses. Teacher Education has the very first Introduction class as an honors course and there is a science course that EDT students often take first semester that has an honors section. Honors students are well advised when they come to UD.

It depends on your content major. Please discuss this with our academic advisor.

All of our courses are taught by our full-time faculty. We do also employ some adjuncts that teach a few courses, typically when they have a specific expertise in that area (e.g. an athletic trainer teaching a course on athletic training). We do not use teaching assistants as instructors in our undergraduate programs. In some cases, TAs or paid students may assist in running supplementary instruction sessions.

Many will be predominantly first years, but not all. It really depends on the course. Generally first-year courses would be mostly first and second year students.

There are all kinds of minors available. There are TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Pre-K Special Needs, ECIS – Early Childhood Intervention Specialist, STEM, Urban Teacher Academy, Social Work, Child Development and Adolescent Development that can all be added to an Early Childhood Education major. If you are interested in a minor, make sure your advisor knows so that we can work with you over the four years to get everything in.

The new Early Childhood Education major in the State of Ohio is from Pre-K through 5 th grade. This change was made as many schools now have Kindergarten through 5 th grade in elementary buildings and then 6 th through 8 th grade as middle schools.

Probably Education although you don’t have to be a teacher to be a school psychologist. This is a great program that is at the graduate level, so you would take whatever major while at UD and then pursue the graduate degree.

You'll still participate in the first year choice process, as many of the courses in the first year have multiple sections. You won't only be in courses with only nursing students.

We can work with you to make sure that you take the appropriate courses for OT (anatomy, physiology, etc). The Health Science - Occupational and Behavioral Studies program targets OT.

It depends on the course. For something like Intro to Psychology, it may be one of the largest classes on campus and have up to 100 students. Many natural science lectures like biology or chemistry are ~50-60. Classes like English and Philosophy are going to be more like 25-30, as will your upper level classes.

This pathway is great if you aren’t really sure what area you are interested in going into. Most of your first-year courses are going to be in the Common Academic Program, which is common for all majors on campus. Discover Science indicates that you are interested in a career in science, so you would likely be taking a biology or chemistry course. Once you have completed your first semester, you can begin to explore what major you would like to declare. We don’t let students change or declare a major within the first semester. At this point, we have internal requirements for each of our programs. We do this to make sure you are set up to be successful in our programs, particularly in our Health Sciences program where graduate studies are required for the targeted professions. We want to make sure that students can not only complete the program but complete it successful so they are able to be a competitive candidate.

We have our Introduction to Health Professions course in which we bring in a number of guest speakers as well as talk through the processes and procedures for pursuing the different health professions. This allows students to discern what path is most appropriate for them.

Discover Science Education is similar in that students haven’t decided what science they are interested in teaching – Chemistry, Physics, Biology – so this is a time during their first-year to discern which area they want to enter into.


Here is the website that gives more information about the minors available:

In Teacher Education, it is recommended to participate in study abroad during the spring of your sophomore year. The reason for this is by your junior and senior year you are completing courses that the State of Ohio have mandated for your licensure. We also do study abroad in the summer so you could go each summer. Next summer is Florence, then Dublin, Ireland and the summer after that is England, so you can take courses that you would be taking for your content/license and study in the summer with your professors.

For the Health and Sport Science program, it is a little more flexible. Many students will do full semester long study abroad programs, typically in the second or third year. We also have a number of programs that are actually targeted to our students through the department that take place over the summer.

The Education Abroad office and Campus Ministry also offer a variety of international experiences, some that are more service/immersion based. Some of these don’t necessarily have coursework attached and are offered in the summer, over spring break or the winter intersession. Working with your advisor and Dr. Andrews’ office, you can plan for what the appropriate classes are to take during the study abroad program, if it isn’t a UD program, so you will stay on track with your courses to progress toward graduation.

You don't have to, but you can!

Send us an email at and we can take a look for you.

Dr. Andrews will review your transcript and what AP credits you have completed. Dr. Andrews is happy to meet with you to review where you are as it is dependent on the courses you have completed and the pathway that you have chosen for your time at UD.

The early childhood education program (which is now pre-kindergarten to grade 5 major) includes the option of also completing required courses for the early childhood intervention specialist license which currently is for pre-kindergarten to grade 3. The intervention specialist program (kindergarten to grade 12) is a separate major. However, the Department of Teacher Education offers a middle childhood major (grades 4-9) as a double major with intervention specialist courses, and students meet the requirements for an intervention specialist license (K-12).

You can email and we can check this for you!

In Teacher Education, your first-year classes are a cohort and if you are living in an education LLC, many students will say that by the time they go to their first classes, they feel as if they already know people. It is structured so you have the support of your peers, your lead peer advisor and your academic advisors.

The size is dependent on the specific class.  UD doesn’t have classroom space that holds more than 150 – 200 students. The largest class may be an introduction to Psychology that might have 100 students or a core science class like Biology or Chemistry that might be in a lecture hall of 50 – 60 students. Courses like English, Philosophy as well as your major level classes are going to be more in the 20 – 35 range with 25 being the average. Upper level classes are usually smaller. Even in the larger classes, professors are really good about making sure they know student’s names and using active learning techniques. Again, it really depends on the course, but in your first year you will have a mix of some smaller and some larger courses.

Not at this time.

Yes! Great question! Students work with the Pre-Physical Therapy Club to participate in many of these opportunities. We also have peer mentors that help students find the right opportunity. Our courses have hands-on experiences embedded as well!

These are assigned during the summer and you'll be able to meet and interact with them in the first year.

Absolutely! This is very common. Spanish is popular but there are other options as well.

If you email,, we can send it directly. It adds upon the Health Science core with physics, kinesiology, adapted physical education, calculus, to name a few courses.


Not in advance. We use Isidore, our custom online learning management system. It is just accessed through a web browser. We are a Google campus so we use Google apps extensively as well.

Start early and check to see what the licensure credentials are in your home state.  Some have their own tests they require you to take which would be the same thing if you were coming into Ohio and wanting to teach. A state history course is sometimes required as well. Generally students (with the exception of a few states) have no problem using their Ohio teaching license as verification that they have gone through a nationally accredited education program.

We are very proud of our graduate and acceptance rates. Dietetics majors, during the post-graduate internship that is required, have had a 100% match rate with these students, as well as success passing their credential exam. For the Health Science majors, of which we have three concentrations, our acceptances are between 80 – 85%, compared to the national average of around 50% for schools like physician assistant, physical therapy and occupational therapy. We recently found out we are running at 100% for Occupational Therapy students. One of the things we do as advisors is make sure students are applying at the correct time, have the appropriate letters of recommendation, clinical observations, everything that makes them an incredible applicant. We feel this contributes to these outstanding placement rates into these professional programs.