Confirmation Program for UD Students
1. Everyone is asked to start writing a personal autobiography of faith.
- This should be the story of your life which includes more than the passing events;
- Try to find the most significant things that happened to you and talk about why they were important.
- Sometimes these will be happy events, sometimes they will be tragedies.
- Also include anything you can remember about how faith in God or membership in the Church helped or hindered you along this path of life.
- The main purpose of this exercise is for yourself;
- You will also be asked to share it with Father Jerry in absolute confidence.
2. Everyone will be asked to prepare for every session.
- Sharing our faith and insights and applications to the scriptures and other readings is at the core of our preparation process.
- You will need:
- A notebook;
- A “Christian Community Bible” or "New American Bible" Catholic Study Bible version:
- The Tradition of Catholic Prayer, ISBN-13:978-0-8146-3184-3
3. Each session will include the following elements:
- Reflection and sharing on the upcoming Sunday Scripture readings
- A process to discuss, share and apply the inner-meaning of the reading assignment to our daily lives.
4. Do you have a "Soul-Friend"?
- Everyone is asked to find someone who can be for them a “soul-friend”, in other words someone with whom you can share in a deep and personal way on the things of faith that we ponder together in our preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- This person ought to be a Roman Catholic (a Byzantine Rite Catholic, or any Eastern Rite Catholic is—of course— allowed)
- This person should know from the outset that being a Sponsor will mean more than showing up on the day of your Confirmation. That this responsibility will mean a week-by-week sharing on things about faith and life.
- This person may be male or female but may not be your significant other nor your fiancée nor your spouse.
- This person may come to any or all of the Meeting Sessions with you.
- They should come to at least two sessions during the Semester.
- This person should fill out an information “Sponsor Sheet” for Father Jerry.