J-1 Immigration Regulations
This is summary of basic J-1 immigration guidelines. Check back soon for more detailed information.
- Pay close attention to the DS-2019 program end date. This is not your visa expiration date; it is the date by which your studies must conclude. After this date, you have 30 days (commonly referred to as a ‘grace period’) to depart the United States. No employment, extension, or transfer is possible after the program end date. If you travel outside the U.S. during the grace period, you will not be able re-enter the country.
- You are only authorized to work on campus. Off campus work is permitted but only under very limited circumstances. Consult with ISSS for more information.
- If you plan to transfer to another U.S. institution, discuss your plans with an ISSS advisor to make sure that are eligible.
- Comply with health insurance requirements. Willful disregard of these requirements will result in termination of your status.
- Keep your passport valid. Passports can be renewed by your consulate.