The goal was simple: 2,800 gifts in 28 days but in typical Flyer fashion, you beat it.
So posed another challenge—keep it going. Not surprisingly you rose to the challenge, too. Thank you for every tweet, act of kindness, e-valentine and gift. You showed what the University of Dayton community is all about—a whole lot of love.
STILL WANT TO SUPPORT UD STUDENTS? HERE ARE SOME WAYS TO GIVE.
Donations made online are quick and secure. Give Now >>
You can make a quick and easy gift of $10 to the I Love UD Scholarship by texting ILOVEUD to 20222. †
To ask questions or donate by phone, call us at 1-888-253-2383 during normal business hours.
† A one-time donation of $10.00 will be added to your bill or deducted from your prepaid balance. All donations must be authorized by the account holder. All charges are billed by and payable to your mobile service provider. Service is available on most carriers. Donations are collected for the benefit of the University of Dayton by the Mobile Giving Foundation and subject to the terms found at www.hmgf.org/t. Messaging & Data Rates May Apply. You can unsubscribe at any time by texting STOP to short code 20222; text HELP to 20222 for help.
Make a gift, make a difference
Fund-A-Flyer connects students, alumni and friends to their passions through a new way to support projects as unique as a University of Dayton education. The concept is simple. The results? They're simply amazing. The four featured projects below will help UD make a difference to our campus, our region and around the world.
Contribute to the renovation of our campus centerpiece.
Send students across the globe to areas in desperate need.
Help our team of students live simply and serve the people of Appalachia.
Fund the construction of our boat for the world championship of solar-electric boating.
What's your big idea?
Your project or organization could be the next one featured with Fund-A-Flyer. Fund-A-Flyer projects could change lives, move markets or just make the world a little bit better place to be.
Check out the details and application information on the Fund-A-Flyer application page.
WE HAVE A DREAM.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Scholarship Fund
To kick-off Black History Month in 2014, Dr. Daniel J. Curran, president of the University of Dayton, established the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. scholarship fund to help African-American students overcome financial difficulties that might prevent those students from continuing their education at the University of Dayton.
It is our dream to see this scholarship endowed so it will continue to provide assistance to our students when they — and we — need it the most to keep our community together and growing toward the future.
Join in the love!
All month long, snap a few pictures. Instagram or tweet your favorite UD moments, past or present. Tag them with #iloveud so others can find and enjoy them. View a sampling on our Social Hub.
Our weekly themes:
- February 1-7: Community
- February 8-14: Faith
- February 14: Alumni couples' wedding photos or chapel wedding photos
- February 15-21: Flyer Pride
- February 22-28: Favorite UD Memory
Other ways to get involved:
- Do a good deed. Share the story and post pictures of your acts of kindness on UD's Facebook page.
- Show your Flyer Pride: Test your Flyer knowledge on our Facebook quiz and don't miss the fun at the Flyer home games this month. One lucky winner of our quiz will have an opportunity to crank the siren at a home men’s basketball game.
- Make a donation to Fund-A-Flyer, an exciting new crowdfunding platform to support UD students and projects. Or donate to the I Love UD Scholarship, which also supported by current students and helps a student in financial need.
- Get together with local Flyers for a Chapter Volunteer Day.
- Show everyone your love. Add the I love UD graphic to your emails.
- Buy I Love UD gear at the bookstore and show your pride all year round.
- On campus? Visit any dining hall and buy an I Love UD cookie. $1 will go to support the I Love UD scholarship.
Share the love
I Love UD month is all about sharing our warmth and friendliness with others on campus and in the community.
Throughout the month, show everyone what UD is about. Do something nice for a friend, a colleague or a stranger. Leave behind a "Be UD Kind" card that encourages them to pay it forward with a good deed of their own.
- Print your own set of "Be UD Kind" cards [pdf].
- Share the stories of your adventures on Facebook.
- Visit Twitter and our Social Hub often as we share our random acts of kindness.
Make your world a better place to be. Small gestures can make a big impact. Take the Martin Luther King Service Pledge. Learn more about the campus activities for Black History Month from the Office for Multicultural Affairs.
Need some ideas? Here are fifty!
1. Let a parent with small children cut in front of you in line.
2. Take old towels or blankets to the local animal shelter.
3. Leave change on one of the rides at the store/mall.
4. Take a meal or cookies to a neighbor.
5. Send flowers to a nursing home to be shared with those who don’t get visitors.
6. Scrape the windshield of the car next to you.
7. Buy a cup of coffee for the next person who comes to the counter.
8. Send an anonymous card to someone.
9. Make the friendly phone call you’ve been meaning to make.
10. Visit or call an older neighbor or relative. Take time to listen.
11. Tweet to your friends about how special they are.
12. Pick up litter on a neighborhood walk.
13. Shovel a neighbor’s driveway.
14. Buy a good-neighbor sack at the grocery store.
15. Offer to care for a friend’s children so the parent can make a solo shopping trip.
16. Be a sponsor for the local high school musical.
17. Hold the door open for a person behind you.
18. Go out to lunch with a friend and pick up the whole check.
19. Send a “thinking of you” card to a friend or relative who lost someone close in the past year.
20. Send a cheery card to someone.
21. Speak up against bullying.
22. Clean out your closet and donate to a nonprofit.
23. Leave a 100 percent tip for a server.
24. Volunteer at a location of your choice.
25. Say you’re sorry.
26. Help a co-worker with a project.
27. Send a thank you note to someone who did something kind.
28. Ask restaurant servers how THEY are. That makes their day.
29. Tape a dollar to the Red Box machine so that someone can get a free rental.
30. Make care bags for the homeless to keep in your car and hand out when needed (toiletries, bottled water, grocery gift cards, and ready-to-eat foods.)
31. If you experience excellent customer service, let a supervisor know.
32. Bring bagels or doughnuts to class or your office.
33. Purchase gift cards and give to a cashier to pay for the next customers.
34. Say hello to someone sitting alone.
35. Add extra money at a vending machine so the next person will get theirs free.
36. Bring coffee or hot chocolate to outdoor workers.
37. Write a thank you note to your child’s teachers.
38. Take homemade cookies or cupcakes to a police or fire station.
39. Hand-write and mail a note to a classmate or friend.
40. Bring your child’s teacher a coffee or treat.
41. Help someone with groceries to their car.
42. Smile and say hello to people (and enjoy the look of surprise on their faces).
43. Tell someone you love them.
44. Hug a friend.
45. Clear the table for your friends after a meal.
46. Write a letter telling someone what you like about your friendship.
47. If you’re driving by someone you know, offer a ride.
48. Buy coffee for someone and deliver it to them.
49. Pull your neighbor’s trash bin up their driveway on a snowy day.
50. Say thank you.
Spread the love around the country
Events for I Love UD month aren't just happening on campus. See what's happening around the country! If you've never participated in an alumni event before, this is the perfect time to give it a try.
Game Watch & Canned Food Drive
Saturday, Mar. 01 at Hudson Grille, Sandy Springs
Texas Hold'em Tutorial and Tournament
Saturday, Feb 1, 2014
Greater Boston Food Bank - I Love UD Service Event
Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at Greater Boston Food Bank
Service project for Big Shoulders Fund
Saturday, Feb. 22 at Queen of the Universe School
Men's Basketball Game Watch at Milano's
Saturday, Feb 8, 2014 at Milano's West Chester
Columbus Chapter I Love UD Month with the Ronald McDonald House
Saturday, Feb 1, 2014 at Ronald McDonald House
Chapter game watch
Saturday, Feb. 22 at Company 7 BBQ
Chapter game watch
Tuesday, Feb. 25 at Barleycorn's
Chapter Planning Meeting
Wednesday, Feb 26, 2014 at River Campus, 1700 Patterson Blvd.
Dean Paul Bobrowski Presentation & Social
Friday, Feb 7, 2014 at Ale House at Amato's
I Love UD Forgotten Harvest Service Event
Saturday, Feb 8, 2014 at Forgotten Harvest
Grosse Point Mass & Brunch
Sunday, Feb. 23 at Our Lady Star of the Sea and Lochmoor Club
Leadership Team Meeting
Tuesday, Feb 11, 2014 at Pappasito's
I Love UD Service Event
Thursday, Feb. 13 at Easter Seals of Indianapolis
Dean Paul Bobrowski Presentation & Social
Thursday, Feb 6, 2014 at Shamrock Supply Company, Inc.
Orange County Area Community Service Event
Friday, Feb. 21 at The Armory - The Mercy House in Santa Ana
I Love UD Mixer
Thursday, Feb. 27, at Rush Street Lounge, Culver City
Milwaukee Chapter trip to Splash Studio
Saturday, Feb. 22 at Splash Studio
Leadership Meeting and Game Watch
Saturday, Feb 1, 2014 at Miller's Winter Park Ale House
Make the Homeless Smile: I Love UD Service Event
Saturday, Feb. 8 at Center City, Philadelphia
Men's Basketball Pre-game and Game against St. Joe's
Tuesday, Feb 25, 2014 at the New Tavern Restaurant and Bar
Men's Basketball Pre-game and game against Duquesne
Saturday, Feb 22, 2014 at the Blue Line Grille
I LOVE UD Networking Event
Saturday, February 15 at 7 p.m. at Don Bienve
I Love UD Service Event
Saturday, Feb. 22 at Raleigh City Farm
Chapter Game Watch
Wednesday, Feb. 19. Location provided upon RSVP.
George Mason Game Tickets and Meet-Up
Wednesday, Feb 5, 2014 at George Mason University
The love starts at home
I Love UD is happening all over campus!
Porch Sheet Competition: Have your house's porch sheet up by Friday, Feb. 21. Judging will begin at 2pm.
Thursday, Feb. 6 – Art Street Takeover during Thursday Night Live 8-10 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 11 – Dialogue with Dr. Dan, sponsored by President's Emissaries; Sears Recital Hall, 7-9 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 12 – Break Up Day Outside KU; donate a shirt from another college and get an I Love UD shirt.
Friday, Feb. 14 – PDA Day; STAT students will be passing out buttons to students while passing to class.
Share the story on how you fell in love with UD using #iloveud
Tuesday, Feb. 25 – Game watch at 2p.m. in the Hangar, in collaboration with Red Scare.
Bulletin boards and cards will be available show your love for others on campus.
Buy an I Love UD cookie. $1 of each cookie will go to support the I Love UD Scholarship.
Wednesday, February 12 at Milano's: Show your graduate student ID and receive 10% off.
Thursday, February 13, 4:30-8:00 p.m.: Reception in Torch Lounge. Hors d’oeuvres, cocktails, beer, wine will be served; please bring a driver's license. RSVP email@example.com.
All month long at Skyline: Show your graduate student or staff ID to receive 10% off. (1153 Brown St. location only.)
Office of Multicultural Affairs
Participate in the Black History Month activities here.
"Blind Date Books" will be on display; let the library "set you up" with a surprise book! Borrow one and get a special I Love UD bookmark.