Office of Annual GivingUniversity of Dayton
300 College Park
Dayton, OH 45469-2961
Preserve our Catholic, Marianist history. Expand and update. Build to meet our new needs.
Consecrated and dedicated in 1869, the Chapel of the Immaculate Conception has always been distinguished by its massive wooden front doors and towering dome. Through the years, it has undergone renovations to improve functionality and aesthetics.
In 1899, electric lighting was introduced. In 1929, a redecoration and alteration including new pews, chandeliers and a heating and ventilation system. In the late 1940's, renovations included interior paint; retouching of the ceiling; a bronze tabernacle; and new Marian artwork. In 1970, it was renovated based on the liturgical recommendations of Vatican II.
The current expansion and renovation will lengthen the chapel and add to the east end a reservation chapel for the tabernacle. The building will expand both north and south to add seating to the worship space and a room for a gathering space and baptismal font near the west entrance.