We help Dayton youth succeed!
The University of Dayton Upward Bound Program provides support to students during their college entrance process as well as opportunities for students to succeed in their precollege performance, and ultimately, in their higher education pursuits. The program serves low-income and first-generation pre-college students from area high schools. Currently, more than 60 students join the program each year, which operates during the school year and offers a six-week summer camp option.
Upward Bound is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education.
The goal of the University of Dayton Upward Bound Program is to increase the rate at which students
To merge three entities (DPS, UD, and UB) to provide academic and college-based support to increase students’ educational performance in order to produce students who successfully transition from high school to college.
Our ultimate goal is to produce transformative adults who actively pursue and obtain professional careers while simultaneously becoming visionaries to make their own individual marks on the blueprint of the world.
Targeted Dayton Public High Schools
Keep up with the program in 2013!
Following are scheduled events and important dates for 2013. Download the print calendar (pdf) >>
Please, contact Mr. Jared at 937-229-3580 if you have any questions, comments or concerns about the events below. This is a reminder that we want to see ALL STUDENTS at as many events as possible.
- January 26 Ski Trip to Perfect North Slopes
Please arrive by 9:00 a.m. to fill out paperwork.
- February 6 Shawnee State University College Visit
Please arrive by 9:00 a.m.
- February 9 ACT TEST
- February 10 College Goal Sunday at UD (SENIORS ONLY)
Please arrive by 2:00 p.m.
- February 15 Tiffin University College Visit
Please arrive by 9:00 a.m.
- February 18 Upward Bound Movie Day from 1-3 p.m.
- February 23 National TRiO Day, from 12-2 p.m., at the Sinclair CC Building 8
Information will be coming later.
- March 2 Miami University Junior Visit Day
Please call Mr. Jared if you are interested.
- March 8 ACT Registration Deadline for April 13 Test
- March 9 OGT Boot Camp, from 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
- March 11 OGT TEST (NO TUTORING THIS WEEK)
- March 18 Tutoring Resumes in all Target Schools
- March 23 Youth Empowerment Conference
- April 13 ACT TEST
- April 13 University of Dayton Colors of Leadership Conference, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- April 27 Saturday Enrichment Activity
- May 15 Last Day of Tutoring
- May 18 End of the year Banquet
Time and location TO BE DETERMINED.
Where and when to go!
Please REMEMBER that TUTORING IS MANDATORY FOR ALL STUDENTS during the academic year.
Let us know how we can help you!
Learn about college acceptances and more!
Mr. Courtney Downs is a recipient of the distinguished Martin Luther King, Jr., (MLK) Scholarship, valued at $3,200 per year for four years), and he just received his acceptance letter for Wright State.
Get answers to frequently asked questions.
Who can participate?
- Prospective first-generation college students, meaning that neither parent has earned a four-year college degree.
- Students who come from families that meet low-income guidelines, defined as below federal household guidelines.
Participants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and attend one of the program's three target Dayton public schools: Meadowdale, Belmon, and Dunbar. Participants must also have completed one of the following grades: 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th.
How much is the program?
Free. Rooms, food, and fees (except medical expenses) are paid for by the grant.
Can I just attend the Summer Academy?
No. Students are required to attend the Summer Academy and the Year-Round Academic Support.
Where can I obtain an application?
Contact us or your guidance counselor, or click on the Apply tab.
How many students are enrolled?
We are funded to serve 63 students.
We have what you need to succeed!
Click on the links below to view photo galleries from the
Find additional resources for test prep and more below.
Ohio Graduation Test Preparation
Financial Aid and Scholarships
Join Upward Bound!
To apply to the Upward Bound Program, download the Upward Bound Program Application (pdf) >>
Applications are being accepted for Summer Academy residential positions. Please call 937-229-3580 for additional information.
Still not sure? Have questions? Contact us!
School of Education and Allied Professions
Dayton, OH 45469
Director of Upward Bound Program