Image of student teacher working with a class of elementary students

Intervention Specialist Mild/Moderate (License, M.S.E.)

Are you seeking a true opportunity to focus your efforts where they are needed the most?

Our intervention specialist mild/moderate K-12 program gives you the skills to teach students across multiple grade levels. Completion of this program results in a 4-year Resident Educator License to teach students both in general education and special education settings.

All classes required for this license are offered online. A few of the classes require attendance at one or two face-to-face seminars during the term. These meetings will take place on the U.D. main campus or at our satellite campus near Columbus, Ohio. Contact your U.D. adviser for more information regarding these seminars.

Our intervention specialist program helps prepare you to become a lifelong learner, dedicated to your students and your profession. We prepare you for success through field experience and student teaching—you'll have multiple opportunities to plan for and teach large and small groups, as well as one-on-one lessons.

Please visit the Department of Teacher Education >>

Admission Requirements

Applicants to the intervention specialist program should submit the following information in addition to the online application:

  1. Official academic records of all previously attended colleges or universities must be submitted directly from the colleges or universities to the Office of Graduate Admission Processing. Hand-carried transcripts, official copies marked Issued to Student and unofficial copies are not acceptable.
  2. Three letters of recommendation from professors or employers
  3. A personal statement or résumé.
  4. Results from the GRE or MAT are required for applicants with an undergraduate grade-point average below 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
  5. Applicants must hold a valid teaching license; however, this program can also lead to an initial Ohio IS teaching license. You and your adviser will evaluate your transcripts and map out a program to meet your specific needs.

Additional requirements apply for international students.

Academic Requirements

Applicants for admission to the Graduate School of Education and Health Sciences must have attained an undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Applicants who have less than a 2.75 cumulative GPA may be admitted if they achieve a raw score of 40 or higher or a scaled score of 396 or higher on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or scaled scores of 430 or higher on the verbal ability and 4.0 or higher on the analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). For test administrations prior to October 2002, a scaled score of 490 or higher on the analytical ability section is required.

Academic Requirements

Program requirements and course descriptions can be found in the online Catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who am I qualified to teach if I obtain a mild/moderate or moderate/intensive licensure?

In general, the mild/moderate licensure program focuses on students with higher incidence disabilities including learning disabilities, cognitive disabilities and emotional disturbances. In Ohio, the 4-year license may also qualify you to teach students with lower incidence disabilities including other health impairments and multiple disabilities, depending on your district’s policy.

If you hold a valid Ohio teaching license in another area and are employed by a school district on a temporary license or as a long-term sub, you may be eligible to pursue a Supplemental IS license. Check with your district regarding specific requirements.

Do I need a teaching certificate/license in another area (other than intervention specialist) to be admitted to the program?

Yes, you do need to hold a current teaching license. 

All candidates must pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) specialty area exam prior to intervention specialist licensure.

I am really busy during the school year. Can I complete the program just taking courses in the summer?

The course work is organized and scheduled such that candidates will have to take classes at some point in the fall, winter and summer semesters. Each special education content course is offered only once per year and it is recommended that students take the courses in sequence whenever possible. The catalog descriptions will indicate any courses that must be taken as pre- or co-requisites.

I am on a temporary certificate/license and haven't been admitted. Can I take hours for renewal?

You can take up to six hours without being admitted to the program if seats are available. (Candidates who have been admitted must have had full opportunity to register prior to non-admitted students registering for the course.) After six hours, you must meet all admission requirements and be admitted to the program to continue taking courses.

When I complete my licensure program, will I have a master's degree?

The courses in the licensure program can be used toward the Master of Science in Education with a concentration in intervention specialist. The master's degree also requires completing a core of 12-13 semester hours and any other course work identified by the adviser following admission.

Should I apply for licensure or to the master's program?

Candidates may choose to complete the master's degree after completing the requirements for licensure by completing the core requirements for the master's degree.

Completion of the licensure program leads to a license in intervention specialist mild/moderate. This program is for individuals wishing to teach students with mild/moderate disabilities (learning disabilities, mild cognitive disabilities, and emotional disturbance).

What is the transcript evaluation process?

Students wishing to have transcripts evaluated for a licensure, endorsement or validation program should apply online to the appropriate program. After the application and transcript(s) have been received, the department chairperson will complete the transcript review, and a check sheet will be sent to students showing which requirements have been met and which courses they need to take. After the transcript review has been completed, students can make an appointment to meet with an adviser. To request a transcript review, contact the Graduate Program Adviser at 229-3103.

Can I apply for a graduate assistantship?

Yes! Learn more >>

How do I learn more about Teacher Education?

Learn more about the Department of Teacher Education >>