Give your students their best opportunity for a lifetime of success. Teaching students to read and write well is essential. The reading endorsement enhances your knowledge and instructional skill in reading and writing beyond the foundation required of beginning teachers. The endorsement also enhances your credentials.
Applicants to the literacy and reading program should submit the following information in addition to the online application:
- Official academic records of all previously attended colleges or universities must be submitted directly from the colleges or universities to the Office of Graduate Admission Processing. Hand-carried transcripts, official copies marked Issued to Student and unofficial copies are not acceptable.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors or employers
- A personal statement or résumé.
- Results from the GRE or MAT are required for applicants with an undergraduate grade-point average below 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants may wish to submit copies of their Praxis results, if available. Including copies of these documents will help to more efficiently process the application.
- Applicants must hold a valid teaching license.
Applicants must have attained an undergraduate cumulative grade-point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale. Applicants who have less than a 2.75 cumulative GPA may be admitted if they achieve a raw score of 40 or higher or a scaled score of 396 or higher on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or scaled scores of 149 or higher on the verbal ability and 4.0 or higher on the analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). For test administrations prior to October 2002, a scaled score of 490 or higher on the analytical ability section is required.
Additional requirements apply for international students.
Program requirements can be found in the online Catalog.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to complete the master's degree to earn the endorsement?
No. Teachers who wish to complete the requirements for the reading endorsement may do so without completing the master's degree. All teachers who wish to earn the endorsement, including those intending to complete the master's degree, must apply online.