- Student Teaching
- Background Check
- Lab/Field Experience Resources
- Clinical Experience Resources
- Faculty & Staff
- Upcoming Events
- Contact us
About the Educational Field Office
At the University of Dayton, the primary purpose of the educational field practicum is to enable students to develop competence in practice skills within the framework of teacher education values and ethics. The field practicum provides opportunities for students to perform classroom tasks under the supervision of a field instructor and encourages the integration and application of concepts and principles learned in both the classroom and the practicum agency.
About field placement
All field office assignments for student teaching are arranged by the Educational Field Office . We make every effort to accommodate your needs; however, a student teacher will not be placed in a school district in which s/he lives or has attended. It is the policy of the School of Education & Allied Professions to place students in a variety of districts, including a "high-needs" school, as defined and required by the State of Ohio. Students are asked not to contact schools until notified to do so by the Educational Field Office coordinator. Credit is given only for student teaching assigned by the university through the Educational Field Office and supervised by university faculty.
FOR ALL TEACHER EDUCATION CANDIDATES
An Ohio/FBI background check is required for all candidates before they may report to any lab/field/clinical experiences, including Methods/Clinical Experience. A background check must be completed every year.
Complete your background check at the Dean’s Student Services office, located in Chaminade Hall, Room 117. Photo ID is required.
Cost is $55.
Please pay by cash, check or credit card at the Bursar Cashiers, St. Mary’s Hall, Room 103.
Take the payment receipt to the Dean’s Student Services Office to complete the background check.
Get the information you need.
For teacher candidates and for cooperating teachers who supervise them
- EDT 110 The Profession of Teaching (pdf) >>
- EDT 207 Child and Adolescent in Education (pdf) >>
- EDT 222 Development in Middle Childhood/Adolescence to Young Adult (pdf) >>
- EDT 321 Classroom Environment for Middle Childhood (pdf) >>
- EDT 338 Teaching and Learning (pdf) >>
- EDT 340 Educating Diverse Student Populations in Inclusive Settings (pdf) >>
- EDT 343 Intro. to Education of Learners with Mild/Moderate Needs (pdf) >>
- EDT 441 Content Standards Special Needs Lab (pdf) >>
- EDT 570 Educating Diverse Student Populations in Inclusive Settings (pdf) >>
- VAE 383 Foundation of Art Education (pdf) >>
Be sure you have the forms you need.
- Undergraduate candidates: First Wednesday of February
- Post-baccalaureate initial teaching licensure candidates: First Wednesday of September
- All graduate candidates (including Early Childhood and Preschool Special Needs Education): June 1 for clinical experience in spring semester or first Wednesday of February for experience in summer and fall semesters
APPLICATION PROCESS INFORMATION
- Clinical Experience Application Process (pdf) >>
- Clinical Experience Professional Statement Directions (pdf) >>
- Clinical Experience Professional Statement Examples (pdf) >>
FORMS REQUIRED FOR CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
- Application for Clinical Experience (pdf) >>
- Clinical Experience Professional Statement Template (pdf) >>
- Standards of Conduct/Good Moral Character (pdf) >>
- Early Arrival/Extended Stay Housing Request (only if needed) (pdf) >>
To prepare to interview for jobs, candidates are encouraged to build a credential file on the online Hire a Flyer network at the University of Dayton's Career Services. Candidates and alumni can view
- Education Interview Day Flyer (pdf) >>
- Sample Contents of a Credential File (pdf) >>
- Tips, Practice Interviews, Career Day and Job Interview Hints (pdf) >>
OBSERVATION OF TEACHING FORMS
Early Childhood Clinical Educator Information
- ECE Assessment Tool (pdf) >>
- Summative Assessment Data Tool (pdf) >>
- ECE Weekly Criteria for Grading of Student Teaching Rubric (pdf) >>
- PKSN EDT 472 Practicum Responsibilities (pdf) >>
- PKSN DAP23 Item NAEYC CEC Ohio Standards (pdf) >>
- 5 Wk Rec Timeline for ECE Post Bac Sup and Eval (pdf) >>
- 7 Wk Rec Timeline for ECE Post Bac Sup and Eval (pdf) >>
- 10 Wk Rec Timeline for ECE Post Bac Sup and Eval (pdf) >>
- 15 Wk Rec Timeline for ECE Post Bac Sup and Eval (pdf) >>
- ECE Lesson Feedback Form (pdf) >>
- ECE Lesson Plan (pdf) >>
- ECE Lesson Plan for PKSN (pdf) >>
Middle Childhood Clinical Educator Information
*OSTP (Ohio Standard for the Teaching Profession)
Adolescence to Young Adult Clinical Educator Information
- AYA Field Requirements 2012 (pdf) >>
- Candidate Reflection Tool-ST (pdf) >>
- CE Evaluation AYA Midterm Assessment-ST (pdf) >>
- CE Evaluation AYA Methods Cohort-ST (pdf) >>
Let us know how we can help you!
Stay up to date!
Wednesday, March 20, 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. We will be hosting our Education Interview Day in the College Park Center on the 6th floor. All Graduating Teacher Education, School Counseling / Psychologist Students and Alumni are welcome to meet with nationwide school districts and interview for 2013 opportunities.