Robert J. Wilkens
Professor; Director, Bioengineering
School of Engineering: Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Location: Kettering Laboratories Room 524
- Phone: 937-229-4944
- Email: Contact
- Athmer, C.J., C. Ruef, T.J. Jones, and R.J. Wilkens. 2012. Desalination of kaolin soil using radial electromigration and electroosmosis. Journal of Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste 17 (January): 16-20.
- Sarica, C., H.Q. Zhang, and R.J. Wilkens. 2011. Sensitivity of slug flow mechanistic models on slug length. Journal of Energy Resources Technology 133: 043001-1-043001-6.
- Krane, C., M. Pinnell, C. Gardner, M. Thompson, J. Coleman, and R. Wilkens. 2011. Mechanical test methods for assessing porcine carotid and uterine artery burst pressure following ex-vivo ultrasonic ligature seal and transection. ASTM Journal of Testing and Evaluation 39 (July): 103120.
- Narvaez, J.A., L.J. Gschwender, C.E. Snyder, and R.J. Wilkens. 2010. Measuring the thermal conductivity of nanofluids using three different techniques. Proc. of ITCC/ITES, Thermal Conductivity 30, Thermal Expansion 18: 857-867.
- Wilkens, R.J., and D.K. Thomas. 2008. A simple technique for determining slug frequency using differential pressure. Journal of Energy Resources Technology 130: 014501.
- Wilkens, R.J., and D.K. Thomas. 2007. Multiphase drag reduction: Effect of eliminating slugs. International Journal of Multiphase Flow 33: 134-146.
- Mokhatab, S., R.J. Wilkens, and K.J. Leontaritis. 2007. A review of strategies for solving gas hydrate problems in subsea pipelines. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 29: 39-45.
- Wilkens, R.J., D.K. Thomas, and S.R. Glassmeyer. 2006. Surfactant use for slug flow pattern suppression and new flow pattern types in a horizontal pipe. Journal of Fluids Engineering 128: 164-169.
- Wilkens, R.J., J.D. Miller, J.R. Plummer, D.C. Dietz, and K.J. Myers. 2005. New techniques for measuring and modeling cavern dimensions in a Bingham plastic fluid. Chemical Engineering Science 60: 5269-5275.
- Wilkens, R.J., and A.R. Ciric. 2005. Making room for group work I: Teaching engineering in a modern classroom setting. Chemical Engineering Education 39: 164-168.
- Wilkens, R.J., C.S. Henry, and L.E. Gates. 2003. Scale-up of mixing processes in non-Newtonian power-law fluids. Chemical Engineering Progress (May).
- Wilkens, R.J. 2002. Flow assurance. In Fluid Flow Handbook, ed. J. Saleh, chapter 29. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Wilkens, R.J., and L. Flach. 2001. An algorithm for determining the uncertainty of complex multiphase flow models. Paper 13151, Proc. Offshore Technology Conference (SPE/AIChE), in Houston, Texas.
- Mueller, J.B., R.J. Wilkens, and K. Wade. 2001. Developing a wax-deposition simulator through operator/vendor cooperation. Paper 13076, Proc. Offshore Technology Conference (SPE/AIChE), in Houston, Texas.
- Hudson, J.D., L.A. Dykhno, S.E. Lorimer, D.W. Schoppa, and R.J. Wilkens. 2000. Flow assurance for subsea wells. Paper 11968, Proc. Offshore Technology Conference (SPE/AIChE), in Houston, Texas.
- Kang, C., R.J. Wilkens, and W.P. Jepson. 1996. The effect of slug frequency on corrosion in high-pressure, inclined pipelines. Paper 20, Proc. Corrosion 96 (NACE), in Houston, Texas.
Past Work Experience and Selected Consulting
- Shell Oil Company
- ReyNo Inc
- CME 201 Material Balances
- CME 204 Experimental Methods
- CME 281 Chemical Engineering Computations
- CME 324 Transport Phenomena I
- CME 325 Transport Phenomena II
- CME 452 Process Control
- CME 465 Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer
- CME 466L Unit Operations Laboratory
- CME 522 Multiphase Pipe Flow
- CME 523 Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems
- CME 586 Introduction to Petroleum Engineering
- M.B.A., University of Dayton, 2010
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Ohio University, 1997
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Dayton, 1993
- B.Ch.E., Chemical Engineering, University of Dayton, 1992
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Society of Engineering Educators
- Chemical Engineering Honor Society
- Sigma Xi
- Order of the Engineer
- Fluid mechanics, including agitation and pipe flow
- Multiphase flow (thermal and hydraulic)
- Non-Newtonian agitation
- Oil and gas production flow assurance