Joint Appointment with University of Dayton Research Institute
School of Engineering: Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Location: Kettering Laboratories Room 161A
- Phone: 937-229-4380
- Email: Contact
- Grebner, Todd, Douglas C. Hansen, and Mark Trzeciak. 2008. The effect of galvanic coupling between modern fracture fixation constructs in physiologically relevant solutions: The role of serum proteins on the corrosion of Ti6Al4V and 316L alloys. J. Amer. Osteo. Acad. Orthopedics 45, no. 2: 22-27.
- Widera, J., B.L. Riehl, J.M. Johnson and D.C. Hansen. 2008. State of the art monitoring of fuel acidity. Sensors and Actuators B-Chem 130, no. 2: 871-881.
- Tian, F., K.M. Hansen, T.L. Ferrell, T. Thundat and D.C. Hansen. 2005. Dynamic microcantilever sensors for discerning biomolecular interactions. Anal. Chem. 77: 1601-1606.
- Hansen, D.C., H.S. Isaacs, G. Adzic, J. Gitto III, and F.J. Martin. 2004. Scanning Kelvin probe measurements for the detection of corrosion processes beneath applied paint coatings on aluminum alloy and steel substrates. Polymer Preprints 4: 135-136.
- Hansen, D.C., K.M. Hansen, T.L. Ferrell, and T. Thundat. 2003. Discerning biomolecular interactions using Kelvin probe technology. Langmuir 19: 7514-7520.
- Hansen, D.C., S.G. Corcoran, and J.H. Waite. 1998. Enzymatic tempering of a mussel adhesive protein film. Langmuir 14: 1139-1147.
Research and Work
- Senior Research Scientist and Group Leader, University of Dayton Research Institute, Dayton Ohio, September 2004-present.
- Senior Scientist, Princeton Applied Research, Ametek, Inc. (formerly PerkinElmer Instruments Inc.) Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 2000-04.
- Technical Support Specialist, PerkinElmer Instruments Inc. (formerly EG&G Instruments, Inc.), Oak Ridge, Tennessee, 1997-2000.
- Research Chemist, Materials Science and Technology Division, Environmental Effects Branch, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, 1995-97.
Honors and Awards
- American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM): Member, G01 Corrosion of Metals; Member, F04 Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices
- NACE International: Chair, Biomedical Implant Device Corrosion Technical Exchange Group 331X, 2003-present
- The Electrochemical Society: Vice Chair of the Corrosion Division, 2008-10
- Gordon Research Conference: Discussion Leader, Aqueous Corrosion, Colby-Sawyer College, New London, New Hampshire, July 2002
- Ph.D., Marine Biology/Biochemistry, University of Delaware, 1993
- M.S., Marine Biology/Biochemistry, University of Delaware, 1989
- B.S., Marine Biology, Richard Stockton State College, 1982
- Corrosion electrochemistry
- Biological polymers as corrosion inhibitors
- Biopolymer protein chemistry
- Biomolecular interactions at metal interfaces
- Biological electrochemistry
- Electrochemical engineering
- Electrochemical scanning probe techniques