Chairperson; Professor; Torley Chair in Composite Materials
School of Engineering: Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
- Location: Kettering Laboratories Room 407
- Phone: 937-229-2625
- Email: Contact
- Browning, C.E., Liming Dai, Don Klosterman. 2007. Functionalized nanotubes for high performance composites. Navy STTR Final Report.
- Browning, C.E. 2007. A major step in the life cycle of aerospace composites. SAMPE Student Symposium Awards Dinner.
- Browning, C.E. 2006. Multi-functional composite materials. University of Dayton Graduate Materials Engineering Seminar Series.
- Browning, C.E. 2005. Future research direction in advanced materials. Clemson School of Materials Science and Engineering Seminar Series.
- Browning, C.E. 2000. A materials life cycle. Keynote Address for International SAMPE Symposium and Exhibition.
- Browning, C.E. 2006. Future research direction in advanced materials for aeronautics. FSU-FAMU School of Engineering Seminar.
- Browning, C.E. 2006. Materials engineering: An aerospace materials perspective. Keynote address for the University of Dayton's Pre-Engineering Program (PEP).
- Browning, C.E., F.C. Campbell, and A.R. Mallow. 1995. Porosity in carbon fiber composites: An overview of causes. Journal of Advanced Materials 26, no. 4: 18.
- Browning, C.E. 1986. Processing science of graphite epoxy composites." Chemical Engineering 82: 41.
- Browning, C.E., J.M. Whitney, and W. Hoogsteden. 1982. A double cantilever beam test for characterizing Mode I delamination of composites." Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, October.
Research and Work
- Principal Investigator, University of Dayton programs on increasing minority student enrollment in engineering, includes interfacing at the secondary school level, Dayton Early College Academy (DECA), on-going.
- UD Lead, Ohio Research Scholar Program for Technology Emergent Materials, on-going.
- NMAB panel, materials for propulsion, in progress.
- NRC panel, decadal survey of civil aeronautics, structures and materials panel, 2005.
- Advisory Board, Clemson University, School of Materials Science and Engineering, 2005 to present.
- Conference chair and organizer, SAMPE's International Symposium and Technical Conference, 2003.
- Industrial Advisory Board, FSU-FAMU, Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, 2004 to present.
- Committee member, Future of Materials in the Miami Valley (Dayton), 2006.
- Sponsored two symposiums on nanomaterials for defense applications, 2003 and 2004.
- Collaborated with Nobel Laureate, Professor Smalley (deceased), on numerous nanomaterials activities.
Honors and Awards
- Dayton Intergovernmental EEO Council Manager of the Year, 2004
- Air Force Material Command EEO Management Action Award, 2004
- Presidential Meritorious Rank Award, 2002
- Appointed Chair of SAMPE Fellow Selection Committee, 1997
- Fellow, Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering, 1996
- Materials Directorate Management Excellence Award, 1993
- Materials Laboratory Schwartz Award for Engineering Excellence, 1983
- Federal Professional Employee of the Year, Dayton Metropolitan Area, 1980
- Outstanding Engineer and Scientist Award, Affiliates Society Council of Dayton, 1977
- Materials Laboratory Cleary Award for Scientific Achievement, 1977
- Torley Endowed Chair and Professor in Composite Materials, University of Dayton, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, 2005-
- Director, Materials and Manufacturing Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, 1998-2005
- Associate Director, Manufacturing Technology and Affordability, Air Force Research Laboratory, 1997-1998
- Director, Manufacturing Technology Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, 1997-1998
- Chief, Nonmetallic Materials Division, Materials Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, 1992-1997
- Adjunct Professor, University of Dayton, Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, 1978-2005
- Advanced composite materials, manufacturing and test methods
- Carbon fibers, high performance matrix resins
- Carbon nanotubes, nanofibers and nano-filled composites
- Multifunctional composite materials
- Multiscale manufacturing of composites